Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best way to smooth the landing during a big air

Postby John-B » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:50 am

ice wrote:This is interesting to me.

I know to land softly on a jump you re-direct the kite forwards. You can continue and complete the downloop.

Can someone explain the science of this to me?

It seems so counter intuitive - why does redirecting the kite forward and toward the water, give you lift?
You want some forward speed when you land so you are on a plane seamlessly - think of an airplane landing and it is getting the angle and speed right?

If just trying to soften your landing then some kites you can sheet in to 'parchute' but you will plop down and sink before having to dive the kite and get going again.

Downloops are very easy, but maybe spend some time just looping your kite on a wide beach or in some shallow water to get a feel for how and where the power comes with your particular kite?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:46 pm

yea, you're right, at first thought is doesn't make sense but

the kite needs to move through the air to have pull or lift and
since it is almost always over your head hight even when down looping it slows your drop and
it adds forward speed as well to keep you from sinking as the board will plane a bit.

the difference is in how much vertical pull as opposed to how much forward pull but any is better than none and you can adjust the difference by when you pull the loop and how fast.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:42 pm

kites are like airplanes. You never see a 747 stop above the airport to land and then tumble to the ground. Increase of horizontal speed of the wing generates lift on the kite surface, lift on the kite pulls you up. Just like an airplane you need speed to generate lift. Now it's possible when you redirect the kite for the landing to move the kite at the last second back behind you to stall your horizontal motion and your vertical motion so you land soft as a feather, this is equivalent to doing a "flare" on an airplane or paraglider. For kiteboarders though, we generally like to land hot because this leaves you riding and ready for your next trick so when we redirect we tend to leave the kite ahead of us so we both have more speed and less vertical motion.

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:13 am

knotwindy wrote:
the kite needs to move through the air to have pull or lift and
since it is almost always over your head hight even when down looping it slows your drop
This explanation makes the most sense to me.

Not sure about the airplane analogy. When a plane is diving toward the ground I don't think it is generating much lift. When you do a downloop the kite is diving toward the water when it gives me lift.

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:33 am

Toby wrote:e.g.:

jumping to the right:

kite is left of zenith before landing: downloop it (pull right hand)

kite is right of zenith before landing: kiteloop it (pull left hand)

If you are 8m high, and the kite is forward or in front, means to the right of the zenith, and you get forward speed and are about to crash hard, you send the kite backwards to a kiteloop, by pulling the bar left side. The kite will loop above you (helicopter loop), and bring you under the kite again for a smooth landing.
I really needed those once, when I was lit on a 14 sqm kite in gusts up to 35 knots. Well I jumped 14m high, but when the kite was forward, I would have broken everything in my body...but looping it backwards made me land as soft as can be.

Try it next time when you are about to get busted with a kite too far forward to land soft...and you will see what happens!
Thanks for this explanation Toby. I am comfortable with kiteloops in low jumps/transitions/slides but the heli loop has always puzzled me in the past. I could never quite figure out what and when todo to get that heli effect. I tried a few of them yesterday as per your description above and it works wonders to soften what would have usually been a rather fast and hard landing. Thank you guys for bringing up this subject.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 am

That sounds great :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:16 am

Agreed tried it yesterday. Always prone to downlooping more than forward looping. But it depends on the zenith reference point. Where the kite is in reference to the zenith is a great reference point, thanks Toby.

Thing is I'm on edges so doesn't matter where it is in reference to the zenith redirect the other way and you land softly. I'm just looping cause I can. Lol

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:33 am

Westozzy wrote:. Always prone to downlooping more than forward looping.
What is the diff b/n downlooping and forward looping?

To me a downloop is looping the kite with your front hand, down toward the water, transition, kite turns 180, and you ride in the opposite direction.

A forward loop starts the same, but you complete a 360 with the kite such that you can continue riding in the same direction as inititally.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:02 am

ice wrote:
Westozzy wrote:. Always prone to downlooping more than forward looping.
What is the diff b/n downlooping and forward looping?

To me a downloop is looping the kite with your front hand, down toward the water, transition, kite turns 180, and you ride in the opposite direction.

A forward loop starts the same, but you complete a 360 with the kite such that you can continue riding in the same direction as inititally.
That is correct. Maxbe he meant a kiteloop (looping backwards)

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JGTR » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:56 am

Down loop/Kite loop isn't really relevant when doing heli- loops. Kite is above my head, doesn't matter what way I loop it, only difference is if I down loop I usually do a transition (change direction) if I kiteloop I usually carry on in the same direction.

End of day at the apex of my jump I'm neither going left or right, I'm facing down wind with kite above me, I either loop left or right and will then land going in direction the kite exits the loop.

I appreciate the direction I was travelling will determine whether it is a down loop or kiteloop but doesn't really matter with heli loops.

Return to “Kitesurfing”