which knee braces are the pros using?

Forum for kitesurfers
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: which knee braces are the pros using?

Postby Bille » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 am

If you can afford it --- get a costume one made just for you.
Generic off the shelf braces are CRAP !!! !! That is WHY they won't
stay in place.
Everyone's leg is different based on mussel-mas.

I have used both kind that support from Above and below of the thigh muscles.
the one from below was 3X Better.

I was at the VA today ; ordering up new legs and knee-braces for
both legs. They wanted to give me the ones that support from Above
the thigh. I basically told them that i'd rather make
my own, from old parts, and that I'm the one wearing it. Luckily i had
both with me and showed them the the difference in support between
the two.

I think they just changed the design for All the Vets because of my insistence!

Bille

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Thats funny, I've always kind of pictured you in costume!

Kind of a M.A.S.H. meets DIY frogman thing.

But thanks for the advice. Seems most braces these days are pretty simple measurements for fitting. My old one is made from a cast of my leg, but it also has 15x more shaped surface area than any of the newer braces. As a result its 15x heavier. The Donjoy has barely any shaped pieces that conform to the leg and its all about the straps. The CTI is also pretty generic in its measurements even when considered "custom". Most are more accurately "semi custom" these days.

Kind of like orthotics and hearing aids..... totally essential in many cases, but a bit of a racket.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Starsky wrote:Thats funny, I've always kind of pictured you in costume!

Kind of a M.A.S.H. meets DIY frogman thing.
Didn't see That one coming !!
Starsky wrote: ...

My old one is made from a cast of my leg, but it also has 15x more shaped surface area than any of the newer braces. As a result its 15x heavier.
My Brace from , (Townsend Design knee-Brace) , it weighs a mere few ounces ; one for each
leg , and it was made from a full cast mold of my leg
And Also,
they are Strong enough to absorb the impact of me AND my 105Lb Rigid-wing glider, as we
have landed on the side of a mountain together, to escape Bad weather. We survived, but i
highly doubt if a lesser design would have held up !!

Just saying ...
Attachments
DSC00165.JPG

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:48 pm

My old brace is a townsend and its held up well for almost 20 years. Looking forward to something lighter.

Ted B
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ted B » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 pm

I never used my donjoy for kiting only wakeboarding which you take much bigger hits all the time then KB.. So they may work for KB the ,new cti I have was CUSTOM made from many measurements then a digital picture with a special chart behind my Knee.. And it Fits perfect and is very comfortable and super light... I used to have a Omni knee brace made from a cast of my leg and it was a great brace but I do like the CTi better.. I will mostly use my Brace while rehabbing my knee also once my leg is strong again I hope to not need the brace while kiting..

Any of you guys tried the Euflexa Shots in your knee? I am thinking about trying this?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 am

the best knee braces are strong hamstrings and rehab after that it's surgery. What Ted said is right Custom CTi is prob the best intermediate solution used by many pros but after successful rehab/surgery hopefully you won't need it.

caveman
Rare Poster

Postby caveman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:51 am

I've used Donjoy and Ossur and I find the Ossur to be superior.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:37 pm

I hear you guys saying strong legs are the best protection and kinda have to laugh a little.

I have plenty strong legs. I train pretty consistently, am fit, light for my frame, and pretty damn coordinated, but twenty years post reconstruction with a million and one non dangle landings under my belt and I want a bit of insurance. I owe so very much to my surgeon, and thank him on a continual basis, but one good blow out and I'll never be the same kiter, father, or proffesional that I am today. Ive already had my fun, livelyhood and future saved by my existing brace on more than one occasion. Thing nearly snapped my femur once, letting me get away with nothing more than a bad bruise where if I had not worn it I would have been out of commision.

Im all for strong legs, but a compromised major joint is just that and it aint ever gonna be as good as new. I'm not gonna wear a brace 24/7 for walking around. Im gonna put it on when I know there is potential for bad landings. They happen, and I want protection for when they do.

Sounds like CTI gets the nod so far as long as you get it custom fit. Thats the plan anyway, but I'm still interested in peoples experience with their braces on the water with and without wetsuits.

I have heard from a local rider that has an OTS CTI and he says the straps just arent up to the job and has to use tape every time out if he wants it to stay put. Not keen on that! could be fit, but I also know another local rider who uses his wifes Donjoy under a wetsuit and couldn't be happier!

Tough call.

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I do agree there is room for improvements in the CTi Straps and I will be working with my rep at Orthofit here in Va. Beach to make some upgraded straps.. I have a few Ideas..

But on a second note My same brace I wear with no wetsuit has these little pads that can be changed and by doing this I was able to use over my suit and it worked great.... It stayed in place for over an hour then I had to make an adjustment..

But I think it may be a good idea to keep wearing the brace if you have a weak knee joint.. Motor Cross riders use these same braces to protect them from injury in case of a crash.. So why not for kiteboarding????? Good Luck man Hope all goes well!!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”