wave kite with excellent low end?

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: wave kite with excellent low end?

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
As I tried to explain - there is a reason why wavekites in generel (for the average weight rider that is) are not low end kites.

You dont want to ride too powered in waves, I agree.

But low end kites has less range than a tad bigger not-low end kites, thats a fact.
(I wont go into the physichs now, but many/most know or have experienced this)

So if you take a smaller kite, so you are powered "okay" when going straight out - then this kite will be much easier overpowered when going down a huge waveface with speed :x

OR, if you fly the kite down deep in or across the window - you have to follow the pull of the kite somewhat (with smaller kites / heavy winds especially), instead of having full freedom to make a curve or line "whereever" you want on the wave - because you dont have to follow the "string".

So the low end kite will generate huge amounts of more power when speeded up - that goes both for riding down wavefaces, as for flying the kite around in the window :o

The tad bigger kite with more range, can be depowered more, and has a softer way of pulling you, so even though these the 2 different kites gets you upwind the very same (same pull when going straight), you will be able to handle more speed much easier with the "depower" kite (the non-low end kite a tad bigger).

This is why wavekites are typically designed with bigger windrange and less low end :thumb:

For freestyle or freeride you dont need this feature - but will usually prefer a bit or a lot more low end instead, so you can use a smaller kite that has a more steady pull, so this is the reason why there is a difference in these kite types, as simple as that 8)

Of course there are huge personal likings and differences, so some light riders like low end kites in waves, and some heavy riders like depower kites - and personal riding style can also influence - but in general above is why wavekites are chosen/designed with more range and less low end, than other kites.

There is a limit, so too much depower is also bad (for the light riders too).

And as stated often, the heavier the rider, the more low end is preferred - to "feel right" :naughty:
We are NOT talking about a similar kite size here, just different low end or non-low end kites with the same pull, choosing different sizes of course - this is important in order to understand this topic fully :wink:

:D Peter

EXACTLY!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ankers
Medium Poster
Gear: BRM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ankers » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 am

in my feeling low end is important as you want your kite as small as possible. so prefer to take a 7 with low end than a normal 9.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 am

Some good wave kites I've owned with low end are the Trigger, Noise, and Rebel. Funny, the 12m Park I had did not have great low end as someone suggested, but still a good kite.
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:03 am

ankers wrote:in my feeling low end is important as you want your kite as small as possible. so prefer to take a 7 with low end than a normal 9.
Yeah those are usually just 9...with a 7 on. You'll see the 9 turn just as fast.
Kites that are too grunty will pull you through the wave.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:53 am

The lowest end I have found on a kite to date in a wainmen smoke. I consider this an all rounder that its best aspect in the all round categories is in the surf. Crew tell me they jump, but get on an edge and they become average. Get on a c kite and they get average. Good but average. Get them in the surf and they really hold their own against the wave specific kites. My mate rides his wainmen smoke when I'm on my 11m edge and he's 10kg or more heavier. Great bottom end.

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 am

wainman kites would have been my suggestion as well

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 am

Am I wrong when l state, when l have a good lowend wavekite, that if it drifts superb, that l will not Be pulled off the board.
I have absolute no problems with my lowend wavekite and Being pulled off....otherwise I would Not understand why Switch would build this wavekite, isn't it more a personal preference.
Some wavers fligh with a lot of line tension, with smaller less volume wave directionals, others fly with volume waveboards and just use the kite to get out or to catch a wave or going upwind, rest of the time they are ''wavesurfing'' with little to no pressure in the lines.

I do both depending the wind/waves......never have the previous mentioned problems in being pulled off the board by the kite, unless it is my own stupid mistake....

So still not convincend about this.

Greetz dude 8)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:48 am

naishdude wrote:Am I wrong when l state, when l have a good lowend wavekite, that if it drifts superb, that l will not Be pulled off the board.
I have absolute no problems with my lowend wavekite and Being pulled off....otherwise I would Not understand why Switch would build this wavekite, isn't it more a personal preference.
Some wavers fligh with a lot of line tension, with smaller less volume wave directionals, others fly with volume waveboards and just use the kite to get out or to catch a wave or going upwind, rest of the time they are ''wavesurfing'' with little to no pressure in the lines.

I do both depending the wind/waves......never have the previous mentioned problems in being pulled off the board by the kite, unless it is my own stupid mistake....

So still not convincend about this.

Greetz dude 8)
Probably just a matter of inexperience.

What PF is referring to is the extremes. You want a kite that springs forward, when you hit the lip...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

The question is asking for a low end wave kite. That's it. Given the same rider on the same board in the same conditions which kite will have you in that sweet spot the earliest. Otherwise we are just chasing our tail defining new definitions. That's how I see it. The characteristics of drift power delivery etc etc are for specific posts looking at those specific aspects. Can't mix em all up.

The kite given every other variable stays constant that gives you the best bottom end. That's it period.

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:54 am

tautologies wrote: What PF is referring to is the extremes. You want a kite that springs forward, when you hit the lip...
Pretty sure you want a kite that springs forward in the bottum turn, so you are free in the top turn.
Otherwise you'd get pulled off doing you unhooked moves.
Basically any kite wil spring forward when lines are tensioned. They just differ in how they recover from and handle slack lines.

Any kite can be used in waves. Any big kite is a lowend kite. Whether if works for you or not is entirely up to your skills. In my perception, people having trouble waveriding with kites bigger than 7m, should first consider changing their idea of what waveriding actually is. If you are overspeeding the speed of the wave, you'll find yourself fighting to turn the kite for another hit. Adjust to the speed of the wave, get a proper volume board, and these kite issues are done.

And remember: its not the kite that drifts, it is you ALLOWING the kite to drift.

Return to “Kitesurfing”