Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surfing with a kitesurf board?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surfing with a kitesurf board?

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:54 pm

I dont agree about the properties of Poly versus Epoxy, generally speaking that is...

Polyester is a bit softer (good or bad ?), but also MORE brittle than epoxy (besides being weaker) :-?

And many production boards are TOO light often, so the brands are making boards a bit stronger and heavier in some cases...

But very rider dependant of course.
Some like to use a huge number of boards, and have them super light (thin glassed) - others want to be sure the boards will hold a while, so they dont get a bad session on the best waveday the whole year, if they dont have spare boards that very day.

Strapped you ride a lot harder (most do), and tougher on your board.
But strapless if you jump high, you can REALLY break any board, and much tougher on your board anytime, than strapped :o

So very individual, and depending on your ride style and waves in so many ways :naughty:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:05 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:I dont agree about the properties of Poly versus Epoxy, generally speaking that is...

Polyester is a bit softer (good or bad ?), but also MORE brittle than epoxy (besides being weaker) :-?

And many production boards are TOO light often, so the brands are making boards a bit stronger and heavier in some cases...

But very rider dependant of course.
Some like to use a huge number of boards, and have them super light (thin glassed) - others want to be sure the boards will hold a while, so they dont get a bad session on the best waveday the whole year, if they dont have spare boards that very day.

Strapped you ride a lot harder (most do), and tougher on your board.
But strapless if you jump high, you can REALLY break any board, and much tougher on your board anytime, than strapped :o

So very individual, and depending on your ride style and waves in so many ways :naughty:

:D Peter
I agree. Sure a thin layer of resin will have a flexy board, but try to jump that sucker or push hard off the top. No one single poly board that I have had has survived more than a very few sessions.
To me it seems like a copout. If weight is an argument then the polystyrene foam is what matters. Try to coat that sucker with polyester. It is an amazing reaction, but you'll end up with an unusable "board".

I'm sure they have some nice new foams but overall once a poly board is as sturdy as an epoxy there is no way it has any flex left.
In addition epoxy is way way better for the environment than polyester process...well maybe not better, but less bad.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 am

Nico,

Thanks but are you sure it is that wide?

On Cabrinhas site it says this:
Cabrinha Skillit 2013 5'10": 5'6" x 18 1/8" x 1 1/2" (20.53 Litres)

The longer one is narrower than the 5'6 version based on the webpage.

I have been put off due to narrow width, but now I am not sure id this is right?

I presume you have the non-insert version, is it early planing and is it light board compared to kiteboards and original surfboards as that's what I am after.

Thank you very much!

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nico » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Omg, i did mention I have been useing it for the last two years. It is the 2011 model, PU surfboard finish.
rgds
N

Return to “Kitesurfing”