Forum for kitesurfers
kits
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question on Cabrinha Kites

Postby kits » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:36 am

I am looking for advice on the Cabrinha kites. Is Switchblade 9 too close to 12. Also, any comment on comparison of Switchblade and Crossbow, and on the Cabrinha bars quality.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Question on Cabrinha Kites

Postby experienced1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 am

Kits: simple answer no...depending on your weight. A good response will also depend somewhat on what year SBs and what year XBs you are talking about. With that info, I can provide you much more detail
steve

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:33 am

It's usually nice to have 3 meters between kite sizes. Based on a windy location, your typical quiver might a 7 meter, 9 meter and a 12 meter or something similar. So like the previous post, no the 9 is not too close to the 12. Switchblades tend to be a good all around option for people. Converts are great for learning but somewhat slow turning. The Switchblades in recent years have still been a bit slow especially on the bigger sizes but do have a strong pull. I personally think the 9 meter is the magic size for that particular kite. The new 2013s have a few design changes as many consumers gave their input saying they wish it didn't pull so hard and was a little faster. Cabrinha did just that so the new Switchblades are a little faster, maybe less grunty but I can't imagine they toned it down too much.

As far as Xbows, I don't like them too much so I'll leave the pros and cons up to someone else who is intimately familiar with them.

The bar quality is good. I have not come across any structure failures of the bar it self in the years I've been at a shop. I've seen them torn up from improper use and neglect but the bar is solid out of the bag. It's nice to a specific bar size matched to a size kite...
i.e. 42 cm bar for 7meter kite
48 cm bar for 9 meter
55 cm bar for 11 or 12 meter
I think 65 cm for 14,16, 18 meter

I like the options of having a bar that can be rigged for any size but the problem is that it is my go to bar, meaning lots of use. It's more likely to wear out over time due to use.

Cabrinha has changed up their quick release, throw, and trim system several times in the past few years. There are pro and cons but it works and works pretty well, I just recommend you have a knowledgeable person instruct you on using all the systems.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 am

9 and 12 switchblade is about as close to a 2 kite quiver as you can get.

great kites.

2012 bar was great. 2013 bar is even better.

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.

Postby timothymcmackin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:48 pm

That's the exact beginner quiver I just bought, with consultation from my local shop: a 2012 SB 9m and 12m. Haven't used them yet thanks to the cold snap here on the east coast -- definitely hoping for things to warm up a bit soon. As a beginner, the complexity of the Cab IDS bar scares me a bit compared to the much simpler Naish universal bar that I flew my trainer on, but the brand reputation is good enough that I hope it's well thought out and will be easy to use once I've got the hang of it.

The advice that my local shop gave (and that has come up on here at least a few times) is to start with the size that you will use the most and then fill in the quiver from there. They said that most of the time they rode in 15-20 mph winds; therefore, the 12m was their most-often-used size. From there they recommended I add either a 10 and 8 for stronger wind days, or just try to get away with a 9m.

Definitely recommend that you talk to people at where you plan to kite before you put down a ton of money on equipment.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm

As a beginner, the complexity of the Cab IDS bar scares me a bit
The 2012 quick release is easy to use, but a giant pain to put back together. The 2013 bar added some features to improve this problem. I recommend you practice with it a few times releasing it in the comfort of your own home and reassembling it. You do not want to do this the first time with sand in it, gloves on, and your cold and wet. It requires a little technique and dexterity. I learnt this the hard way on a long downwinder. All my friends thought I was a nice person that I could not get my bar back together. Pretty embarassing and frustrating.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:24 am

Kits,

12m, 9m is a perfect combo.

Between the 2 kites, the CB is a higher aspect more forward flying kite that will have a little more range, great hang time and geared also towards racing.

That being said, the SB is by far the best selling kite. It's priced right, and is a kite that can be used by so many different riders. This years SB is quicker turning and has lighter bar pressure than last year, but also has a little less power.

For the value, I much prefer the SB.

We have some really good riders in our area that boost huge on SB's and like to throw technical tricks.

I hope this helps and good luck,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:00 am

TimothyMcMackin,

Did you buy your kites on the Outer Banks? It sounds like you talked to some of my instructors.

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 am

toyletbowl wrote:Kits,

Between the 2 kites, the CB is a higher aspect more forward flying kite that will have a little more range, great hang time and geared also towards racing.

That being said, the SB is by far the best selling kite. It's priced right, and is a kite that can be used by so many different riders. This years SB is quicker turning and has lighter bar pressure than last year, but also has a little less power.

We have some really good riders in our area that boost huge on SB's and like to throw technical tricks.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
I have a 10m and 13m xbow.

pros
extremely stable in wind gusts, we have extremely gusty wind and everyone would complain about it and I would be like, what gusts?
huge wind range. I have (accidentally) taken my 10m out in gusts to 40mph where I was dangerously overpowered but the kite was 100% stable. If I was a better kiter with strong legs I possibly could have controlled the kite better.
I love the IDS system, it really works. That said the 2012 bar really was complicated, pre 2011 bars were great. There is a spring which scares a lot of people but really works to keep the trim lines within reach.
Great hang time in jumps
power is 1-2m greater than other kites
great for park and ride
great for racing

cons
will not drift at all, if you ride towards the kite there is a good chance it will fall
slow turning - if you would rather work your kite to get power, then this makes it difficult
not for wave kiting or wake style (unhooked)
higher than average bar pressure (good for building arm strength)

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 am

toyletbowl wrote:Kits,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
I have a 10m and 13m xbow.

pros
extremely stable in wind gusts, we have extremely gusty wind and everyone would complain about it and I would be like, what gusts?
huge wind range. I have (accidentally) taken my 10m out in gusts to 40mph where I was dangerously overpowered but the kite was 100% stable. If I was a better kiter with strong legs I possibly could have controlled the kite better.
I love the IDS system, it really works. That said the 2012 bar really was complicated, pre 2011 bars were great. There is a spring which scares a lot of people but really works to keep the trim lines within reach.
Great hang time in jumps
power is 1-2m greater than other kites
great for park and ride
great for racing

cons
will not drift at all, if you ride towards the kite there is a good chance it will fall
slow turning - if you would rather work your kite to get power, then this makes it difficult
not for wave kiting or wake style (unhooked)
higher than average bar pressure (good for building arm strength)

Return to “Kitesurfing”