Zepheros
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Anywhere
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Marty Kiteloop story (and how to avoid it) safety

Postby Zepheros » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Marty, man..that sucks and I wish you a quick and complete recovery.

As soon as I clicked on this post I wish I didn't, the reason being is that when I see the potential graphic consequences of kiteboarding I get a little more fearful. Although, fear is what keeps us alive and is absolutely necessary; it needs to be kept in balance. In my opinion, too much fear actually makes accidents more likely because in the moment, if fear is unchecked, you'll react to the fear rather than doing what is necessary to keep you safe.

The interesting part about this sport is its progression takes you to extremes. At first your scared out of your wits and as you start to progress you get the false sensation of being super human and indestructable. At some point later in your progression you find the balance that is necessary.

Any similar thoughts out there?

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:45 pm

In buttery water, it makes it a lot easier landing when coming in with a lot of downwind speed. In chop...a lot tougher especially if your kite is not giving you the smooth catch type of landing.

Tenative on the loop, your kite might not come around fast enough and you will land hard.

I'm scared as hell of getting hurt.

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby flybykite » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 am

Zepheros wrote:Marty, man..that sucks and I wish you a quick and complete recovery.

As soon as I clicked on this post I wish I didn't, the reason being is that when I see the potential graphic consequences of kiteboarding I get a little more fearful. Although, fear is what keeps us alive and is absolutely necessary; it needs to be kept in balance. In my opinion, too much fear actually makes accidents more likely because in the moment, if fear is unchecked, you'll react to the fear rather than doing what is necessary to keep you safe.

The interesting part about this sport is its progression takes you to extremes. At first your scared out of your wits and as you start to progress you get the false sensation of being super human and indestructable. At some point later in your progression you find the balance that is necessary.

Any similar thoughts out there?
Well noted. Fear is a good thing when kiteboarding. I'm constantly in check of this making sure I realize I have it and noticing when it's pushing far into my current threshold.
It's not the fear that will get you hurt, it's the panic that can kill you. Staying calm when shit goes wrong is key to continuing to make the right decisions in those crucial moments. We all panic when we exceed our fear threshold and I think it's important to push into fear very slowly and recognize in an instant when you could be in deep and when you're tired.
Just finished watching "Chasing Mavericks". This is a great surf movie all about this exactly.
I always feel thankful just after landing my kite without injury, especially when I'm having an off day and as much as I wanted things to go smooth, they just didn't.
Safe riding

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 am

Hi Marty.
Thanks for sharing this painfull experience.
I am sure this action will save many a rider from the error of complacency.
The lack of pain in your leg when being dragged in is probably due to the fact that your broken femur was being stretched, which stopped as soon as your kite was secured on the beach, hence the beginnign of the painfull bit.
Similar thing was felt by an aquaintance of mine when his femur got smashed by a flick of whales tail : )
Wish you a speedy recovery and many more great session (without mishaps)
nico

Return to “Kitesurfing”