Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Live to kite

Postby rocktor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:09 pm

At the stage of my life when I can choose where to live, start a career and kite my life away. OBX? Hood river? SPI? Corpus Christi? Do y'all live close to these Meccas? Are you living the dream? Sort of? Help me out you are. How many kiting days a year do people get if you live close by?

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Re: Live to kite

Postby shawn13 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Toronto isn't a mecca but I consider myself lucky to live here. We are in a 2 hours radius of Sandbanks, Lake Erie, Lake Simcoe, Wasaga Beach, and Lake Huron. Not to mention 3 great spots in Toronto for anywind direction of south in it. I would say I was able to get out about 3 times a week last year, only because I was restricted by work. I considered it a very good summer and a great location.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 pm

The San Francisco Bay area should be on any kiter's list. The hardcore guys around here manage to get some kiting in year around with the main season being about 7 months long. Within a 60 mile radius of SF you have Sherman Island (river delta kiting that blows all day long in the summer), 3rd Ave, Alameda and several other Bay spots, Chrissy Field (views of the Golden Gate Bridge and SF), Ocean Beach, and Waddell (wave kiting). If you have the money and the time, you can spend the winter off season in Ventana and never stop kiting. Plus you don't have to live in Texas! (That's a huge benefit right there). The drawback is that the cost of living is outrageous and you have to wear a wetsuit (except at Sherman sometimes). If you factor in non-kiting activities and economic opportunities, I think SF Bay wins hands down as a USA kiting location although obviously I am biased.

Speedkillz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mokuleia, Kailua
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Switch Element 13m, Switch Element 9m

Postby Speedkillz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Most people know that the winds here on Oahu are awesome. I typically get a session in at least 3-4 days a week. Rent and utilities are a little high here, but if you like making the wind and water your source of entertainment, it actually isn't that expensive to live here. North Shore is extremely laid back. See if you can find a room to rent for a month and give it a go. My neighborhood (Waialua) is full of people who came here on vacation or a whim and never left.

Aloha

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:05 am

Thor SFBay wrote: Plus you don't have to live in Texas! (That's a huge benefit right there). The drawback is that the cost of living is outrageous and you have to wear a wetsuit (except at Sherman sometimes). If you factor in non-kiting activities and economic opportunities, I think SF Bay wins hands down as a USA kiting location although obviously I am biased.
love it lol. SF bay does sound lucrative. See, I dont need a big city, and in terms of my job, I get paid more if I live somewhere remote/underserved. Not sure how jobs are in SF bay area.

I live in Upstate NY, and get most of my kiting done with dry suit on, so having to wear a wetsuit actually sounds pleasant. :thumb:
Canada is not an option for me now, and Oahu might be too competitive. Anyone in/around Portland / Gorge area?

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:42 am

If it is water kiting that you are after, Maui hands down for the most days, warm weather, and cranking wind. Never wear a wetsuit again. Of course, the cost of living is high.

If I were to do it, I would look at 2 locations. Utah in the winter and OBX in the summer.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm

i would choose north carolina most likely. the deep south has a good cultural feel plus it is close enough to the other east coast cities so there is alot of accessibility to larger metro areas. the kiting there looks unreal, great fishing, good BBQ and overall chilled out unpretentious vibes. not expensive to live either.

i live near corpus and that city f'ing sucks. great wind though, but good lord the folks there are half retarded.

redman333
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up

Postby redman333 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 pm

I live a couple hours south of OBX and am there all summer. You can still ride in the winter with a wetsuit if you want. If you want remote then this is definetly the place cause its hard to get to the outer banks at least on a whim. Im only about 110mes south but have to take a / hour ferry to get there or drive 4 hours north to take a bridge accross. You can kite on both waste deep water thats super warm and glass smooth for as far as the eye can see or ride the ocean waves on the other side. Which in some places is literally a stones throw away fr each other.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Consider Puerto Rico... just a thought

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone