Forum for kitesurfers
DaytonaJoe
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Freeride Board Recommendations

Postby DaytonaJoe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 am

I'm mostly interested in cruising, carving, and occasionally big air with simple rotations and board offs. I want to avoid boards that are going to be constantly spraying me in the eyes. Something comfortable and simple. My local conditions are - always choppy, often gusty - Newport, RI area if anyone is familiar.

I've read a lot of rave reviews for the Mako so one of those may be an option. If you think that'd be the best for me, which size would you go for? I'm 6'1'' 160lbs. What are some other options? Shinn maybe? Thanks!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Freeride Board Recommendations

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:29 am

DaytonaJoe wrote:I'm mostly interested in cruising, carving, and occasionally big air with simple rotations and board offs. I want to avoid boards that are going to be constantly spraying me in the eyes. Something comfortable and simple. My local conditions are - always choppy, often gusty - Newport, RI area if anyone is familiar.

I've read a lot of rave reviews for the Mako so one of those may be an option. If you think that'd be the best for me, which size would you go for? I'm 6'1'' 160lbs. What are some other options? Shinn maybe? Thanks!
The spray is coming from the tip..about 3 cm in, look for board that have a little bend or defomation there.
I think all the Naish boards have this. For chop some rocker is good, but not too much imo. 've been riding the moneyshot in those conditions. Looking at the new ones now.
I do not think the mako has much in terms of pop, but people that ride those boards love them..people that don;t seem to either not know or hate them. Very interesting board for sure. I had too short of a ride on it to say much more than these 3 sentences :-)

ronf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Larkspur ; Marina Bay, Ca.
Kailua, Oahu
Favorite Beaches: Kailua
Style: freeride
Gear: RRD Vision; Wainman Hawaii; Mako Boards

Postby ronf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 am

Love my Mako. I don't jump too high, but I've seen guys jump pretty high with them.
(And Taut, get back to work! hahaha.)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:11 am

ronf wrote: (And Taut, get back to work! hahaha.)
:thumb: :thumb:

its hard when you guys keep on sending me reports of how great it is out there LOL

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 am

Just been researching this and have gone for Crazyfly Raptor LTD due any day.
Trax7 was also in the mix, there are some new ones on eBay.com good price.
I Kite MA.
Kev

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 am

Mako, 160lbs...whats that 70kg? Depends on what kite and wind strength you want to hold down.

If there is waves....go a mako...

If it is flat, chop...me I'd go a Shinn Monk.

Ridden and owned both...

Now I just have the Mako's. Ultimate freeride board in the surf. And get a 140 and put the side fins I pop just fine on my edges...Without the side mutant fins...I do admit I find the back does want to slide out a bit when really loading up. Apparently that is a technique thing...but f*** that I just want to ride. This board has little flex.

Both boards can be ridden at very high speeds...the monk does load better I feel, but the more I ride the mako the closer I am getting.

But when there are waves involved...and I've ridden both extensively in the surf and flat....put the shinn away cause the mako shits all over it, by a long way...its a mutant though...the monk is a TT.

But that being said the monk has got to be the best TT ive used in the surf...and for loading...nothing will break that edge!

A Mako Monk...now that would be my ideal board!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:10 am

Mako, 160lbs...whats that 70kg? Depends on what kite and wind strength you want to hold down.

If there is waves....go a mako...

If it is flat, chop...me I'd go a Shinn Monk.

Ridden and owned both...

Now I just have the Mako's. Ultimate freeride board in the surf. And get a 140 and put the side fins I pop just fine on my edges...Without the side mutant fins...I do admit I find the back does want to slide out a bit when really loading up. Apparently that is a technique thing...but f*** that I just want to ride. This board has little flex so the pop is fine once you dial it in. A rigid board that rides like a board with flex..thats the mako.

Both boards can be ridden at very high speeds...the monk does load better I feel, but the more I ride the mako the closer I am getting.

But when there are waves involved...and I've ridden both extensively in the surf and flat....put the shinn away cause the mako rules all the way... it tracks, bites and cuts in all the right places..its a mutant though...the monk is a TT. Then again take off the mutant fins and the surf riding becomes really smooth and quick...

But that being said the monk has got to be the best TT ive used in the surf...and for loading...nothing will break that edge!

A Mako Monk...now that would be my ideal board!

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 am

Mako or Shinn Dundee! Mako slighly better waveriding, Dundee wider wind range and slightly better in flat water. Actually you can't really go wrong with either of them...

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 am

Westozzy wrote: A Mako Monk...now that would be my ideal board !
Speedball :wink:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:31 pm

sarc wrote:Mako or Shinn Dundee! Mako slighly better waveriding, Dundee wider wind range and slightly better in flat water. Actually you can't really go wrong with either of them...

man i gotta learn use less words to say the same thing you just did!

Return to “Kitesurfing”