Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: North, Slingshot, Cab, AXIS, NP, ION, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freeride Board Recommendations

Postby Flyin_Dutchman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 pm

I just switched from a CrazyFly Raptor LTD 132 to a new guy on the market: AXIS Vanguard 135. This board ROCKS in chop. I am 6'2 170, mostly freeride lakes, and smile ear to ear these days :naughty: . It has double channel bottom for smooooth sailing across the lumps n bumps. Oh, don't forget the pop it packs either. Load it up, throw it up, and away you go.......soft landings await you at the end. :thumb: I keep trying to find something I don't like about it, but can't? :nono:

WindS4
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Bayley Beach, Calf Pasture,
Favorite Beaches: North Sound Virgin Gorda, Hatteras, Pocomo MA. Long Beach Turks
Style: freeride
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun, SS dwarfcraft Foil, Naish Kites
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby WindS4 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm

I used to just read the forums, but actually joined just to add another vote for JimmyLewis Boards. The Model 3 is the best all around twin tip Ive ridden in 7 years. I've tried lots of boards. I too am surprised that you dont see them more often. Its built differently than 90%+ of the stamped boards you see/ride out there. It's super smooth in chop, doesn't spray you in the face, can drive upwind, has great bindings & fins, and has good pop. The Supermodel definitely has better Pop, but is looser and doesn't track upwind as well. The downside is that the gelcoat will chip (if you ding them on rocks or the parking lot) and they are pricey. I'm on my second one. My original is pretty chipped and repaired with either Gelcoat patch, or Marine Tex for the deeper gouges. It is now my Travel board. Two friends had standard garden variety stamped boards, always complained that they sucked in chop, couldn't stay upwind as well, and always wanted to ride our Jimmys...Finally they bought them as well. Not as important, but nice, is that they are simple and clean two color finishes...none of the typical extreme stick on multi color graphics... for excellent performance, thats simple, clean and sharp, you cant go wrong with a Jimmy Lewis model III. In terms of size, I'm 5'10" about 170 and the 139 has been my go to for years.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:52 pm

i rode à Mako classic: 150/34 for 5-6 years, made a homemade mako ripoff 150/45 and rode that a while on lite days. you can't go wrong on a Mako for chop. it cuts like butter. it's a great board in all kinds of conditions. I took mine out in 3m+ waves at Big Bay in Cape Town. saw the guys there on wave boards. decided then and there to learn to ride strapless. 3 years later I have not touched mako boards since. strapless surfboard is the best way to be a good kiter and save your knees and body. doesn't spray in your face.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:24 am

So you are calling a strapless surfboard a free ride board then? That was the post title I'm sure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”