Style: Freestyle,
Gear: Blade kites
Shinn Boards
Brand Affiliation: Blade kites, Shinn boards supplier / school
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freeride Board Recommendations

Postby valdez » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 pm

DaytonaJoe wrote:I'm mostly interested in cruising, carving, and occasionally big air with simple rotations and board offs. I want to avoid boards that are going to be constantly spraying me in the eyes. Something comfortable and simple. My local conditions are - always choppy, often gusty - Newport, RI area if anyone is familiar.
For what you want daytona the Dundee will most def oblige!!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Yep I'd have to agree. No waves mentioned

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards

Postby DJwilson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:37 pm

Mako is a good shout. But I think the best free-ride board is also one of the originals - a Jimmy Lewis Model III. Unlike the Mako, you re riding a more standard length of TT, though you ll probably want to ride one size up from what you re used too. Do a little research on the construction and you ll see its built completely differently from most TT's. Built like a surfboard. But it simply kicks arse. Fast, flexible, forgiving, great in the surf, just a great feeling when you re on it. Free-ride or not, once you ve tried it I doubt you ll go back. Enjoy!

bmencer
Rare Poster

Postby bmencer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 am

anyone have any feedback on the North Xride its kinda a free ride all around board right? or is that norths marketing?

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:16 am

I can second the shinn monk recommendation. I have owned every size mako but now I only ride the monk. It accelerates faster and tracks through chop at high speed much better than mako.

As for carvIng I prefer the monk by far. Never blown out an edge on that board. It's an amazing ride!

DaytonaJoe
Rare Poster

Postby DaytonaJoe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:18 am

hey thanks for all the great replies guys, I have a few new boards I need to try and demo!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 am

DJwilson wrote:Mako is a good shout. But I think the best free-ride board is also one of the originals - a Jimmy Lewis Model III. Unlike the Mako, you re riding a more standard length of TT, though you ll probably want to ride one size up from what you re used too. Do a little research on the construction and you ll see its built completely differently from most TT's. Built like a surfboard. But it simply kicks arse. Fast, flexible, forgiving, great in the surf, just a great feeling when you re on it. Free-ride or not, once you ve tried it I doubt you ll go back. Enjoy!

Are you talking about boards like the drop? Someone was telling me the other day how good they are.

Hey coleman we should meet sometime, sounds like we are on the same page with boards and kites.

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards

Postby DJwilson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Mate as a lover of Ozone, and all things refined and super smooth, the Jimmy Lewis boards are right up your street. I'm not sure what the drop is, but the model III has been around since the beginning, and yet it is still one of the top top performers in any regular conditions. Cruisy through chop, skatey from edge to edge, brilliant fun in swell and small waves, it was designed for free riding and that is exactly what it excels at. For carving there is no board like it. It may lack a little in pop compared to the freestyle machines, but otherwise it kicks the ***t out of them in all other respects. No disrespect to the Monk, or the Laluz, or the 50/50, but they just don t compare to the model III. I'm always surprised how little i see them about because they really are a cut above. Different gravy. Try and get your hands on one and let us know what you think.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:54 pm

My bad the drop was a liquid force board. Yeh this guy was checking out my mako a well known retailer and kiter over here and he was talking about the board you are and was saying similar things. Worth checking out this guy from my experience is usually right!!

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:20 am

I ride a variation of the Fluid TwoSeven, i really enjoy the board. It has pretty wide tips and a straightoutline ideal for going upwind. The board simply rides nicely and feels smooth and very playfull.
I ride it (110kg) in 132x41 length and wouldnt want it bigger and it gives me plenty lowend but also a good highend.

Also the Epic Droid V2 )135x41 is a nice board. have ridden it a week and it feels great. Good pop. Nice smooth riding. I expected it to feel long compeared to my own board but it was really playfull.

Return to “Kitesurfing”