Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Inflation

Postby Dr Makani » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:18 pm

ain't rocket science at all ... :lol:
pump it up until you can flick your finger on it and pings off. On light wind days I'll give it a few more strokes to keep its shape and vise versa. Going into waves I prefer it a bit 'softer' so the kite doesn't pop its guts when it gets all twisted.

I agree a good kite should keep its shape without being pumped up to its pop.

peace

Ittiandro
Rare Poster
Gear: Not yet, will begin

Postby Ittiandro » Fri May 31, 2019 5:04 pm

I have a brand new closed cell 4 m2 training kite which inflates only partially through the inlet valve , even when the wind is 12 knts or more , however rare it may be.. The kite flutters like a rag, it lifts off a few feet in the air at best and crashes to the the ground always veering to the right,even though I take care not to the tension one line more than the other..

Why does it veer ALWAYS to the right and why doesn'it inflate more than 30 % ( in my estimate), even after a few hours? Low winds and my inexperience shouldn't prevent the kite from at least inflating properly and lifting off, especially when the winds rise to around 12 knts,

Thanks

Ittiandro

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri May 31, 2019 6:03 pm

I think this topic is rather about tube kites than foil kites.

So better start a new topic

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri May 31, 2019 6:10 pm

Is the kite a LEI (leading edge inflatable) or a closed cell ram air? It sounds like it is a closed cell ram air. If so, try inflating it with a leaf blower on low setting. If it does not inflate properly, then check the cells for any blockage. Could be manufacturing defect or something left in one of the cells.

Regarding it turning to the right, check the bridle for knots, twists or tangles. Also, check the flying lines lengths to see if one is shorter and adjust accordingly. Check the manufacturer's website for a bridle plan and compare it to what you have.

Hope this helps.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
Ittiandro (Fri May 31, 2019 7:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri May 31, 2019 8:19 pm

generally 8psi does it on most kites. The new Naish kites are recommending 12psi !!, but they have very heavily reinforced stitching. Pump until the last push requires a decent bit of arm power on the pump. Under inflated = likely to invert, rip or not relaunch. Serious over inflation = will weaken the stitching and likely exlode at some point.

Ittiandro
Rare Poster
Gear: Not yet, will begin

Postby Ittiandro » Fri May 31, 2019 9:36 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:10 pm
Is the kite a LEI (leading edge inflatable) or a closed cell ram air? It sounds like it is a closed cell ram air. If so, try inflating it with a leaf blower on low setting. If it does not inflate properly, then check the cells for any blockage. Could be manufacturing defect or something left in one of the cells.

Regarding it turning to the right, check the bridle for knots, twists or tangles. Also, check the flying lines lengths to see if one is shorter and adjust accordingly. Check the manufacturer's website for a bridle plan and compare it to what you have.

Hope this helps.
It is a closed cell kite .I don't see how to check the cells inside. The only thing I did is to slide my arm inside the zipped exhaust opening to see if there was a blockage. There was what looked like a plastic sleeve bent or crumpled. I pushed through it to straighten it,but it didn't help.
I discount my inexperience, but In 12 knts winds the kite should at least lift off and not veer always to the same side. There are no knots on the lines and they look of the same length.

Ittiandro

Return to “Kitesurfing”