Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot Joint, are you serious?

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:33 pm

I guess some people see it just as gimmick being branded as something it is not – an half-ticket to boots - thus a waste of money and an example of deceiving marketing

Personally would like to try them - after 1 year and something with boots I´m so in love with the lock feeling and support I´m getting that can´t really use straps anymore

But there are spots where´s a bit too risky to go into with boots

Anyway will never pay ~200 Eur for a pair of fancy straps

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:49 am

Tiago1973, where is too risky to go with boots?

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:11 am

Small/crappy launch/land spots, maybe with sharp rocks and coral that would scratch the bejesus out of the bottom of your board while you hopped to the water.

So, besides toeside carves, why would you want to use boots? Seems like it would really limit your ability to move, and make small adjustments to your stance. Plus it would really make boning out a tailgrab almost impossible, and boardoffs actually impossible. Plus, if you were coming down hot and needed to jettison your board on the fly...

I tried boots a while back, and I decided pretty much immediately that it wasn't for me, and about 20 minutes of messing around with them pretty much cemented the original impression. :D

As a small sidenote, I think it is impossible to come onto shore in a manner that looks cool with bindings. You can only jump and come down on the board on the beach, then fiddle with your laces. With straps, you can get all creative with boardoffs and land on your feet already walking, like a boss. :lol:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:53 am

Flight Time wrote: So, besides toeside carves, why would you want to use boots?
I kinda feel like I can do everything better if I'm not constantly having to scrunch up or extend my toes or otherwise wedge my feet just to keep my board on! The only upside to straps is that you can be dainty stepping on and off the water. There appeal is substantially about quick convenience where the appeal of boots is better control while riding without the distraction of having to hold onto your board.

But your getting off topic
Last edited by Starsky on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:01 am

Starsky wrote:
Flight Time wrote: So, besides toeside carves, why would you want to use boots?
I kinda feel like I can do everything better if I'm not constantly having to scrunch up or extend my toes.

But your getting off topic
..because there is no worry that the board will come off. It is very liberating in a weird way.
That said...catching a board tip hurt a hell of a lot more with boots...

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 am

dandaka wrote:Tiago1973, where is too risky to go with boots?
in the waves when the sets are higher than ~ head high

tumbling in the white water with the board attach to your feet is a bit scary

guess the answer is a surf board but then i don´t have any

DirkGently
Medium Poster

Postby DirkGently » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:20 pm

BigPaul wrote:Hi Nectar

The situation I got into, it really did not matter what I had, boot, binding or joint. I would have lost the board.

It was all down to poor decision making on my part. an expensive lesson learnt. :cry:

Basically:-

lonely beach
Only two riders
light wind day.
The old last run before the wind dies! ( we've all done it)
Went too far out
Wind died,
Took a long time to re-launch
I don't use a leash.

Board got away from me whilst trying to re-launch

all this added up to a very sad day
Are you confused on the function of boots? They positively attach your feet to your board. Which means as well as being able to relaunch your kite more effectively, you aren't going to have the board 'get away from you' in a situation like this.

Joints are a total failure. More expensive than a pair of last years top of the line boots, no ankle support, hard plastic edge at the heel pocket (where its ripped on yours!) to jam your heel and sole on, and HEAVIER THAN ALMOST ALL PAIRS OF WELL MADE BOOTS.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Starsky wrote:The only upside to straps is that you can be dainty stepping on and off the water.
And more tricks, and the ability to get rid of your board when you don't want it or it endangers your life. Think about skateboarding. Would skateboarding lose it's appeal if the board was connected to your feet? Damn it all, I would totally ride a directional surf or a skate type board if I weren't addicted to massive jumps. :-?
tautologies wrote:That said...catching a board tip hurt a hell of a lot more with boots...
Yeah, I learned that lesson quickly when I tried boots. :lol: I was kinda lit, and blasting along the flats one second, hit a couple ripples, then bam, I'm all woozy, getting belly dragged, and can't get my feet in front of me. Damned near knocked myself out on the water. I think I prefer the board to come off, because I'm good enough body dragging that I can get it back in a couple passes.
Tiago1973 wrote:in the waves when the sets are higher than ~ head high.
tumbling in the white water with the board attach to your feet is a bit scary.
Man I hear that. I have been knocked around by big waves, and I don't even want to think about trying to swim up through whitewater with a sea anchor attached to the appendages I need free to actually swim. :o
DirkGently wrote:Are you confused on the function of boots? They positively attach your feet to your board. Which means as well as being able to relaunch your kite more effectively, you aren't going to have the board 'get away from you' in a situation like this.
There's an advantage that I hadn't thought of. It is significantly harder to launch a kite in light wind if you lose the board. If the wind had completely died it would have been impossible anyway, but you can always take the boots off if you need to reel in the kite and self-rescue, so the boots wouldn't be an inconvenience in that case.

I suppose boots have a couple of advantages in certain situations, and disadvantages in others. I think I'll always be a straps guy, though. I like the old-school a little too much to not be able to do board-offs and Jesus walks. :lol:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Super off topic.

if you wanna do a jesus walk or board off for sure straps gotta be your thing.

In every instance where boots are a liability I prefer starpless on a surfboard anyway. Ie. surf, light air or fringe of the season temps. All other times Im happier in boots. The real world breakdown looks something like 80% stapless and 20% powered flats or bump and jump in boots. I love my twintip all the more now that I only to ride it when it shines. Nothing fun about schloging around fighting to hold your ground on a rockered board in boots!

Re: catching an edge and post wipeout scenarios, you develop a couple basic skills to obviously avoid injury and boots are simple. Also pretty obvious that weaker swimmers aren't going to like not having their legs free when things go south.

Re: getting in and out. Generally step in and go, ride upwind and figure out the situation before taking a sec on the outside to cinch up. Loosen off while coming in so you can step out nice and quick. At sketchy places, body drag out and upwind before stepping in, riding further upwind and cinching up when comfortable. These are basic tactics any reasonable rider will develop in short order if they prefer riding locked in. They also lend a degree of situational awareness that is often laking in the kite crowd. I simply find the warmup - get upwind, get my head in the game approach essential for making the most of conditions and progression.

Re: the skateboard analogy. Wakeskates look like great fun if you live with a ton of wind. Everywhere else your downwind fast. Most TT riding has more in common with wakeboarding and snowboarding than sports where you find straps like windsurfing. Some, learn on snow and get accustomed to being locked in early. I really think half the reason straps are so popular stems from their in/out convenience, how that suits the initial learning curve in water and the weak swimmer factor. Other than a couple tricks and maybe twisting upwind when under powered its hard to see how they improve TT riding, especially when powered.

I dont discount skims or wakeskates at all, in fact I'd probably opt for either before straps. In reality I don't discount straps either. They obviously work really well for a lot o riders. I just think its obvious that they offer convenience over board control where boots are the opposite. Ride whatever your comfy with, but don't kid yourself.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi Dirk Gently

Yes I understand the premiss of boots, but I was knackerd by the end of it and would have wanted to have removed anything that was hindering me from swimming against the kite.

The price must be a lot different in the UK as I did not pay anywhere near £200 for them. nor did I find them heavy.

As stated by someone else. The beach I normally surf at is a pebble beach and so no sliding to the water. Also the shore break can be quite fierce at times. So I often drag out a way before putting on my board.

Each to their own is I guess the lesson here.

Return to “Kitesurfing”