DirkGently
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reviews on Hadlow MK2 board?

Postby DirkGently » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:40 am

DirkGently wrote:Similar boards would be:
Airush FS Park is what I have right now, it is a touch heavier than the freestyle, but has similar amounts of rocker but is still fast. Apparently you're not supposed to ride boots with this one either...

Airush Livewire is my next deck, apparently beefier construction than the FS Park, this one is recommended if you were riding boots according to Airush.

The hadlow freestyle IS pretty rad though. Super thin little tip and tail & edges, so frickin fast, if they installed some sort of row of inserts that increased the surface area resisting pullout but still kept the same flex I'd be all over it...
I take back what I said about Airush' construction, the Livewire blew apart on an edge after 4 sessions, seems they still have some design considerations for boards with boots, maybe they should leave out the low surface energy plastics inside a 3mm edge in their next design....

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:21 am

Dirk i think u shoul go to a tona pop, see if u could destroy that

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites:
- 2010 RRD Obsession 10.5m
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow ID 12m
Boards:
- 2009 RRD Placebo (133x40cm)
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow MK2 (134cm)

Postby pwnd550 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 am

jespin4845 wrote:Dirk i think u shoul go to a tona pop, see if u could destroy that
Is thr tona a good board?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 am

Never ridden it but it is suppose to be the board for boots, suppose to be a tank

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:34 am

jespin4845 wrote:Never ridden it but it is suppose to be the board for boots, suppose to be a tank
Oh alright, theres not much reviews on that board

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 pm

There aren't many review, cause everyone is ridding them instead of writing reviews, :lol: if you want reviews have to go to kitescoop.com although there some affiliation beteen the scoop and Tona (I think), but the reviews of actual riders is positive.

The Tona is my first wakestyle board, and prior to my Tona, I too had a Hadlow but decided to sell it, cause I want to get into wakestyle, and I didn't want to have a garage full of boards, I'm a minimalist, so I wanted a board that would work well at the cable park as well as behind the kite. I've read that's even decent behind a boat.

Based on prior experience with flexifoil, I wanted a Hadlow Wake, looked for ever for the Hadlow wakestyle with no luck, then I read about the inserts issues, so I decided to pass on it.

Tona seems BOMB proof, or at least it feel like it, the bottom is made of some snowboard material that doesn't scratch easily, not the case with the deck, is so freaking glossy but scratches very easy (no biggie), very smooth, really good upwind, I like it better without fins, but fins do help in chop a bit, It's sweet in chop, but SUPER sweet in flat water. Insane pop. The Hadlow is like 1/2 the weight (deck vs. deck), but surprisingly, doesn't feel heavy at all in the water.

Honestly I like it so much, I don think I'd give the Hadlow a chance now.

DirkGently
Medium Poster

Postby DirkGently » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Yea that was my only beef with the Tona, when handling it off the water it seemed quite a bit heavier than the Hadlow wakestyle. I'm not someone that believes in the 'heavy board great for tricks' gimmick, but I will be giving a 142 Tona a crack (?!) before I get my next setup.

Pixelpedro - isn't it crazy that you wanted that board and couldn't get it!!! I am always blown away by how hard it is to get legit wakestyle gear, I thought it was just my area but damn !

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm

DirkGently wrote:isn't it crazy that you wanted that board and couldn't get it!!! I am always blown away by how hard it is to get legit wakestyle gear, I thought it was just my area but damn !
Duuuude, I think its stupid crazy, I had a hookup in flexifoil (UK) not even he could hook me up, so nah, not just you.

I'm really glad I gave Tona a go, I honestly doubt if given the chance now, if I'd switch to the Hadlow. That's how much I like the Tona. So definitely give it a shot I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Something to help with the weight issue, is pick light boots, I went with the Ronix Kai, mainly cause of stiffness, but I found out that's one of Ronixs lightest OTs which helps a bit.

Good luck dude!

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 am

I bought the Hadlow 134, because 138 would be way too long I think for me, 60kg and 1m70.
Anyways, what is the big difference between 134cm and 138cm? Can the 134 ride in 15 knots with a 12m Hadlow ID if I weight 60kg? (with my RRD Placebo 133, I was able to ride comfortably while having a good time from 15kn)

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 am

when I got mine the 134 wasn't avail, I would't have gotten it anyways IMO it's a bit small for me anyways, the 138 worked beautiful for me, I loved it, IDK if I'm just imagining stuff but the 138 doesn't feel like a 138, felt smaller.

Return to “Kitesurfing”