Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Honeymoon help

Forum for kitesurfers
tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Honeymoon help

Postby tmcfarla » Sun May 05, 2013 2:23 am

I'll have a honeymoon coming up sometime soon, and hope to sneak kitesurfing into it. I'm hoping to get some help on choosing a location, any help is appreciated. There are a few posts on this already, and I've read all of them (at least, all those I could find). Unfortunately, my fiance doesn't kitesurf, so I have to find a place that has stuff she'll like as well (birdwatching, diving/snorkeling, hiking). The time of year is fairly flexible, as we might not go on our honeymoon right after our wedding.

Things I'm looking for in order or importance:

1.) Not too pricey, our budget for two weeks will be about $6,000 at the absolute maximum, preferably well under that (including hotels that are reasonably nice and airfare from the United States).
2.) Tropical or semi-tropical (her choice).
3.) Good nature scene. Both of us are biologists, awesome forests not too far away are a huge plus. She's really into bird watching, both of us like hiking, diving and snorkeling.
4.) Consistent wind. I'd like to get at least 18 knots at least 3-4 days/week.
5.) Quiet and not too crowded (this rules out a great number of the obvious choices). If there are more than 50 kiters on the water, I'll find something else to do.
6.) Some waves are a big plus, but not required.

Things neither of us care about or go out of our way to avoid:
1.) Night-life
2.) Good restaurants/shopping/etc.
3.) Cities

I've been considering Brazil, but it sounds like it can be pretty pricey. It sounds like there might be some places in Asia. New Zealand sounds wonderful, but probably wouldn't fit in our budget.

If any one has suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Honeymoon help

Postby adamj2281 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:52 am

I had the same scenario and ended up in Maui, what time of the year are you travelling?

gavin feargrieve
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stony Beach, Conrads Beach
Favorite Beaches: Varadero, Cuba
Style: Old School, Wave
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 2 15m, 19m - favorite kites
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer and Cabrihna
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gavin feargrieve » Sun May 05, 2013 4:20 am

Mr. Honeymoon,

I've been kiting and travelling quite a while. Places I'd suggest are:

1. St. Kitts and Nevis- few kiters, trade winds and mountains with great hiking and bird watching.

2. A trip to Barbados (1 week, swell depending) then St. Vincent and the Grenadines ending at Union Island. Barbados, Silver Sands has the waves (try not to lose your gear in the waves on the first few days!) and decent wind/direction but it's getting a bit crowded these days...... and there's lots of hummingbirds, banana quips, etc. The Grenadines/ Union Island should be on everyone's bucket list.

Both spots mentioned can be as cheap or pricey as you wish.

Have fun,

G

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby piccio » Sun May 05, 2013 5:44 am

we went to oahu at windsurfing time,maybe maui wil be better for kiting.
can find all you described.
we liked a lot we,'d like to go again but too far from italy
a place to be seen at least once in a life

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Sun May 05, 2013 1:11 pm

tmcfarla wrote:I'll have a honeymoon coming up sometime soon, and hope to sneak kitesurfing into it. I'm hoping to get some help on choosing a location, any help is appreciated. There are a few posts on this already, and I've read all of them (at least, all those I could find). Unfortunately, my fiance doesn't kitesurf, so I have to find a place that has stuff she'll like as well (birdwatching, diving/snorkeling, hiking). The time of year is fairly flexible, as we might not go on our honeymoon right after our wedding.

Things I'm looking for in order or importance:

1.) Not too pricey, our budget for two weeks will be about $6,000 at the absolute maximum, preferably well under that (including hotels that are reasonably nice and airfare from the United States).
2.) Tropical or semi-tropical (her choice).
3.) Good nature scene. Both of us are biologists, awesome forests not too far away are a huge plus. She's really into bird watching, both of us like hiking, diving and snorkeling.
4.) Consistent wind. I'd like to get at least 18 knots at least 3-4 days/week.
5.) Quiet and not too crowded (this rules out a great number of the obvious choices). If there are more than 50 kiters on the water, I'll find something else to do.
6.) Some waves are a big plus, but not required.

Things neither of us care about or go out of our way to avoid:
1.) Night-life
2.) Good restaurants/shopping/etc.
3.) Cities

I've been considering Brazil, but it sounds like it can be pretty pricey. It sounds like there might be some places in Asia. New Zealand sounds wonderful, but probably wouldn't fit in our budget.

If any one has suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.
It sounds like you have ruled out maui, but I think you should consider it. While there might be 50 kiters on the water, there is a ton of space, windy during the summer, tons of nature stuff to do. It is in the US so it is easy to access the whole island etc.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Sun May 05, 2013 2:42 pm

My thoughts:

# try going to Europe (maybe Greece or Italy) and soak in some culture while you split your time between the beach and the sites
# research some islands around the caribbean and I'm sure you can find something/somewhere (St. Maarten/Grenadines/Antigua etc) that has both wind as well as great scuba diving and scenery
# Venezuela and split your trip between some beach time and do an inland trip to explore the Llanos/Amazon (although the amazon is probably better in Brazil)
# Go to Brazil; wind guarantee during June thru January and plenty of tropical forrest to visit.
# New Zealand....rent a van and tour the country. You are right in thinking the country side is breathtakingly beautiful and plenty of opportunity to kite as well depending on when you go (season is October thru March I believe)
# Cuba

I'm sure I missed a ton of other places to go, but do not limit yourself too much and explore. Yes your ticket might be the most expensive thing, but depending on where you are in the US it might be just as expensive to go to Hawaii. And cost of living will probably be much less in south america than many other places.

Good luck and be adventurous!

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Mon May 06, 2013 3:12 am

this is very dependent on exactly when you get married.

I got married fall and honeymoon in maui. that's perfect as it won't blow every day but when it does it's epic wind/waves. so you can divide time. and so much else to do. as with the other post I would not worry about crowds in Maui. the north shore is huge and you can find some space even though it might look crowded from shore. and people are mostly chill there as long as you're reasonable and don't steal a wave.

barbados is great for early summer. she will be happy there.

also cayman islands are great for honeymoon. there are waves but i couldn't seem to find more than a few inches above the reef so I think you need a local to figure that out.

dobiewan
Frequent Poster

Postby dobiewan » Mon May 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi - you might consider this a bit far-flung, but maybe not. I have a friend who runs this resort. I have always wanted to visit for both the kiting and the wildlife. Enjoy your life together!
Ken
http://www.arugambayhotel.com/

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Tue May 07, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, it really helps to narrow it down.

Maui would be fun for me, but she's been and we've both been to other Hawaiian islands; I think she wants something else.

That place in Sri Lanka looks absolutely amazing, but sounds like an off-shore wind. I might look at other places around there though.

mondy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kalpitiya Lagoon
Sri Lanka all over
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya Lagoon
Sri Lanka all over
Style: waves
Gear: Nobile Kiteboarding, Ultimate Kiteboarding, Zian Kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: Nobile Kiteboarding, Ultimate Kiteboarding, Zian Kiteboarding

Postby mondy » Fri May 10, 2013 4:45 am

Many honeymooners decide to come to Sri Lanka because the island offers a little bit of everything, historical places and varying nature (including amazing kitespots). The kalpitiya pensinsula and the flat water kalpitiya lagoon, which is the most popular kitesurfing destination has it's windiest season between may (wind has just kicked in) and mid-september. During this period we have strong winds between 18-25 knots, 24/7 and when the swell is good you can even enjoy some small (but very nice) reef wave spots in the sea. Wind is SIDESHORE/side on and the lagoon is a great place also for the beginner (if your g-friend/wife decides to take a course ;) ). Kalpitiya has a beatiful scenery with a long, thin sandstrip seperating the lagoon from the sea. For accommodation, you can check out www.rascalskiteresort.com and more information about the kitespot and things to do in the area (dolphin and whale watching, national parks, visit to ancient cities) visit www.kalpitiyakitesurfing.com.

Hope this helps and to see you on the water !!!!

info@rascalskiteresort.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”