Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Some updates on Airline bag policies

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:45 pm

British Airways:

They allow many bags as upgrade. Cheap class has 1x23 kg for free.
Add up to 10 bags. For sure first added bag is about 50 euro, but I think each added bag costs 50 as well.
Don't add more than 23,9 kg, then you will be charge another bag. Valid also for your sport bag, whatever size, just the weight counts.

Ethihad Airways

They suck! Only dive and golf equipment have special sports conditions.
Otherwise 35 USD per kilo...

Tiger Airways

Nice! No weight limit mentioned on the website for sports equipment!
I asked at counter...they said it is unlimited! But I assume that there is the general limit of 32 or 34 kg...

Please add your personal experience!

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: Some updates on Airline bag policies

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:34 am

United Airlines changed their rules and now they generally don't charge extra for kiteboarding equipment if it is under their limits of 62 linear inches and 50 pounds.

On my last trip the ticket agent asked me questions about what was in my golf bag and I told them and they were going to charge me and then they checked with another employee and came back and said there would be no extra charge. Also, they check the weight more than the linear inches, and I was under the 50 pounds but over on the inches.

Here's the link and the rules as they have them posted on their site as of today:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... ports.aspx

Kiteboards
United Airlines will accept one kiteboard or one bag containing equipment used in kiteboarding as checked baggage.

If the kiteboard or kiteboard container is over 50 pounds (23kg) or is greater than 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $100 service charge applies each way. The service charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply, but first or second bag charges do not apply.

If the kiteboard or kiteboard container weighs less than 50 pounds (23kg) and is less than 62 (158cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), the $100 service charge does not apply each way, but, if applicable, the first or second checked baggage service charge applies.

The board must be well padded or the entire board must be encased in a suitable container to avoid scratching. United Airlines shall not be liable for damage to a kiteboard or kiteboard equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for a kiteboard or kiteboard equipment.

Note: On United Airlines flights, kiteboards greater than 115 inches (292 cm) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage. On United Express flights, kiteboards greater than 80 inches (203 cm) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Kiteboards are not allowed during excess baggage embargo periods when no excess baggage is allowed. Kiteboards will be accepted to Costa Rica during an embargo period.

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby saildawg » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 pm

WestJet (Canada) has no charge for kite bag if 23kg or less if it is your 1 piece of allowed luggage. I was charged $21 cdn for a second checked bag. Surfboards up to 3m are allowed as oversize for $50 cdn

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Emirates- I believe they allow you to check in a kitebag as part of your 30kg allowance, so if you can squeeze as much as possible into your quiver bag, you should be OK.

Anything else, try get it in your allowed carry-on/ cabin allowance of 7kg (although they never check these weights from experience so as long as the bag is withing the cabin size regs, you can go heavier than the 7kg)

Emirates will accept wind surf boards, surf boards, kite surfing equipment, kayaks, body boards, pole vault or other sporting equipment as checked baggage and part of your standard baggage allowance, provided:

They are less than 300cm (10 feet) in length.

Any sails are detachable and collapsible.

It is appropriately packed in a hard-shell packing case. If not a Limited Release will be required.

For surf boards, the following precautions must be taken:

Fins should always be removed, or, if they cannot be removed, should be firmly packed with polystyrene foam.

Both nose and tail should have bubble-wrap or neoprene foam attached for protection.

The rails (sides of the board) should have cardboard down the sides to absorb shock.

The board should be packed in a properly padded surf-bag.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:40 pm

United Airlines changed their rules and now they generally don't charge extra for kiteboarding equipment if it is under their limits of 62 linear inches and 50 pounds.
United airlines did not really change their policy. They have written a policy that is so unrealistic and confusing that it confuses both the public and fortunately their employees. So they often do not charge you because they do not understand the policy, but if they want to they could. So just be prepared to pay if they do. The rule states that kiteboarding equipment if it is under 62(158cm) total linear (L + w + H) is not charged 100.00 dollars. That rule means nothing because no such kiteboard bag fits in that category.
...or is greater than 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $100 service charge applies each way.
Baggage is measured by length + width + height. The dimensions of each measurement are added together to compose the total number of linear inches/centimeters. The bag's thickest or widest part of the length, width and height will be measured.
No such kite bag exists under 62inches (l+w+h). Unless you have one of those split boards, your board alone is likely bigger than that (a 132cm x 40cm board = 172cm or 67inches). Kite bags designed to hold a twin tip and kites are normally 90 or more inches (l + w + h).

The fact that kite stuff fits in a golf bag and golf clubs fly for free/cheap is irrelevant. Golf equipment, skis/snowboards get a special exemption even though they weigh a lot more than your gear, because golfers and skiers spend a lot of money and buy lots of plane tickets. A golf bag or ski bag with something besides golf and ski equipment can be charged the excess fee.
Golfing equipment containers measuring over 62" (158 cm) L+H+W that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate golf equipment will be subject to an oversize checked baggage service charge
So dress and act like a golfer or skier and try to curbside check if possible. Get in line behind someone who has real golf/ski equipment. If they actually know their rules and are going to try to stick you, then you are probably better off sweet talking then arguing with them.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm

As said its tough to fit to United size req. Just flew with them from OGG.did not have my golf bag and I bet they would have known that deal .paid the $100 +$35 extra, 2nd bag /oversized.At least got plenty of wind.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 pm

a tip: have next to your hand luggage a plastic bag...they never check the weight of that...

so hand luggage, laptop bag and a plastic bag..that's a lot of kilos you can save ;-)

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:43 pm

It is a water Ski?

<<a ski on which to water-ski, designed to plane over water: it is shorter and broader than the skis used on snow.>>

SKIS: WATER OR SNOW / SNOWBOARDS
Allowance/Requirements
One pair of skis/snowboard and one bag containing a pair of ski /board boots only

Cost
One pair of skis/snowboard and one boot bag containing only boots/bindings will be treated as a single item with the applicable checked bag charge.
Boot bag must not exceed 45 linear inches (length + width + height) and must contain only boots/bindings. Boot bags that contain other articles will be subject to the excess baggage charge for a single piece.
Maximum Weight and Size
One pair of skis/snowboard up to 126 inches and one boot bag containing boots/bindings only and not to exceed 45 dimensional inches (length + width + height)

Additional Information
Lighters or torches for applying ski wax are considered dangerous goods and are not allowed in checked or carry-on baggage

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 pm

I recently traveled to Great Exuma Bahamas and was concerened with how / if I would be charged for traveling with my kite equipment. I flew with my Wife and two little girls from Toronto to George Town and we had an overnight flight in Miami on the way down on American Airlines. We checked 3 bags total- 2 luggage and my 1 Kite Golf Bag. I was able to keep my golf bag under 50 lbs- 9m RPM, 12m Vector, both bars, 134cm LF board w/ straps, 138 DLX. The boots for my DLX were in my other checked bag as well as my harness. We were not charged at all for any of our checked bags since it was an international flight and was never even questioned about the golf bag. I was able to pack pretty light since we had no plans to go to any nice restaurants and were more looking for a relaxing vacation. The only hitch I had was the golf bag did not show up in George Town with us. We arrived Sunday at about noon and my equipment showed up at 5pm Sunday night. American delivered it to the house we were staying at. The way back went well and was not charged again and the golf bag made it to Toronto with us on time.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Times have changed. In the mid '80's I was able to fly my windsurfing gear - two (!) boards, two booms, 2 masts & 4 sails to Cabarete (from Toronto) - in addition to a regular bag - FREE.

In recent years, I have successfully flown my kiting gear free everywhere using a "golf bag" (this summer flying to & from Lisbon). Mostly this has been on charter flights which (still) offer free transport for "golf bags". This winter I have booked a flight to the RD with United. Their baggage charges are hard to figure:

United Airlines will accept one kiteboard or one bag containing equipment used in kiteboarding as checked baggage.

If the kiteboard or kiteboard container is over 50 pounds (23kg) or is greater than 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $100 service charge applies each way. The service charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply, but first or second bag charges do not apply.

As already pointed out, even the smallest TT is going to pack larger than 62 linear inches (L+W+H), so "no charge" isn't an option. The last sentence is really puzzling: "The service charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply" This seems to imply that the "oversize charge" (for greater than 62") is added to the $100 "service charge". Elsewhere on United's site the oversized baggage charge (for greater than 62") is listed as $200 - suggesting that you might be charged $300 each way for an oversized bag containing a kiteboard. This would be more than the amount charged for a windsurf board or surfboard.

Under the golf equipment heading it states:

Golfing equipment containers measuring over 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + H + W) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate golf equipment will be subject to an oversize checked baggage service charge.

which suggests that they are consciously addressing the "golf bag" issue.

Return to “Kitesurfing”