tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to hand stitch a kite repair?

Postby tr3v » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:17 am

I need to repair the main seam (along the leading edge) where the existing stitching is coming loose. It is only a small length (100mm aka 4" long) of seam so I am thinking I could hand stitch it instead of being without the kite for a few days while it is sent away for repair.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Type of thread, the type of stitching/technique... or should I let a professional do this and I give up kiting for a few days?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How to hand stitch a kite repair?

Postby BWD » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:38 am

a few days
only, probably $20, I'd leave it to a pro.

windsurfer-resurrection

Postby windsurfer-resurrection » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:47 am

I use dental floss or button thread and a heavy needle, needle nose pliers and a thimble, then I squirt some crazy glue on the stiches and seam.I usally hand stitch across the area twice overlapping, either side of thread loss area. :jump:

Wear EYE PROTECTION !

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 am

Jeff Howard, Prokitesurf, Corpus Christi, Tx. Repair guaranteed for life. Worth it.

tr3v
Frequent Poster

Postby tr3v » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:46 am

20 m or bust wrote:Jeff Howard, Prokitesurf, Corpus Christi, Tx. Repair guaranteed for life. Worth it.
Hmmm, is Texas anywhere near where I live? :duh:

tr3v
Frequent Poster

Postby tr3v » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:49 am

windsurfer-resurrection wrote:I use dental floss or button thread and a heavy needle, needle nose pliers and a thimble, then I squirt some crazy glue on the stiches and seam.I usally hand stitch across the area twice overlapping, either side of thread loss area. :jump:
Many thanks - obviously crazy glue is safe to use on kite material - I am assuming this is the same as "super-glue" or are we talking about different glues here?

windsurfer-resurrection

Postby windsurfer-resurrection » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 am

Yes , super glue

the eye protection is if the needle breaks, and of course do not slip and put a hole in your bladders.

kiteaid
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Kites
Brand Affiliation: www.kiteaid.com

Postby kiteaid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:12 pm

For stitch jobs, use v92 thread
http://www.sailrite.com/Thread-V-92-Whi ... oz-250-Yds

Needle kit: http://www.sailrite.com/Hand-Needles-5-Assorted-Osborne

You could try our LE and Strut kit, for this type of repair. But if you insist on a sewed repair, I hope what I mentioned above helps!

sk

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any

Postby lieutenantglorp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm

You can duplicate any kite stitch with a sewing awl, proper size machine needle, and some sail thread assuming you have access to both sides of the seam. For leading edge and strut, you may have to open more stitching to get access and then restitch it closed.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:32 pm

tr3v wrote:I need to repair the main seam (along the leading edge) where the existing stitching is coming loose. It is only a small length (100mm aka 4" long) of seam so I am thinking I could hand stitch it instead of being without the kite for a few days while it is sent away for repair.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Type of thread, the type of stitching/technique... or should I let a professional do this and I give up kiting for a few days?
sail shop in the nearest yacht club has the suitable equipment for that if you are not being able to stitch it yourself.

if you are speaking about the stitching that closes the le bladder in the front, then i usually use my sewing machine manually. that means i manually slowly crank the flying wheel to make an exact strait stitching. i carefully try to use the already punctured holes in the dacron just to avoid over-perforating, so every time needle goes in the dacron it is going right in the old hole.

Return to “Kitesurfing”