sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Brand Affiliation: None

Eclipse kites; 3rd line bridle lengths?

Postby sflinux » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows the correct bridle length for what Eclipse referred to as the 3rd Line, the line that runs on a pulley between the front and rear lines. I haven't been able to locate this information published anywhere. Anyone who used to work for Eclipse have this information? I'm interested in the length for the 2008 4M/6M Nano, 2009 6M/9M Kima, and 2008 8M Thruster. My concern is that the bridle that runs through the pulley may have shrank over time and I didn't measure the bridle length when they were brand new. I just measured a slingshot bridle that goes through a pulley and it shrank over 20 cm.
Thanks

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Eclipse kites; 3rd line bridle lengths?

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:57 am

Hello Mr.sflinux
I use to be part of the ECLIPSE kite company but I don't have these information any more it has been 4 years now. But in order to help you maybe you can measure the gray line that goes inside the pulley and let me know the length for each of the size you need. These lines will stretch at least 4cm but no more. Any way will try to help you the best way I can. You can always email me at: dimitri@epickites.com

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:21 am

I have known that the pulleylines that slingshot uses on its kites shrink with use. I can confirm that the amsteel that Eclipse uses on its kites, also shrinks with age. I've measured the length of the pulleylines on some Eclipse kites. The ones that are labeled fuzz have most likely shrunk, of a length yet to be determined. I did find that a well used 9M Kima shrank more than 13-17 cm. I suspect that as the pulleyline shrinks on an Eclipse kite, the bar pressure will go up. The change is gradual, so is probably difficult to notice. If others wish to share the length of your pulleylines in this thread, please specify kite model, size, and year.
2007 6M Nano = 243 cm (fuzz) (appended 3/22/2010)
2008 4M Nano = 188 cm
2008 6M Nano = 231 cm
2008 8M Thruster = 149 cm (fuzz)
2009 4M Kima = 105 cm
2009 6M Thruster = 128 cm (fuzz)
2009 9M Nano = 236 cm
2009 9M Kima = 313 cm (fuzz) too short! ; currently trying 322 cm (appended 5/3/2013)
2010 10M Thruster = 165 cm (fuzz) (appended 3/22/2010)

If you want to bring your Eclipse kite back to stock, you can flip the pulleyline (to reverse the wear area), then attach a pigtail on the steering lines (larkshead the pulleyline to the pigtail), of corresponding length to bring the pulleyline length back up near stock length. You can lay the kite on its back and pull the front lines with one hand and rear lines with the other and look at the tension of the pulleyline. You want the tension in all the bridle lines to be similar, and not have the pulleyline be too taunt. Be sure to check for symmetry, as I've found differences.
Edit 5/9/2013: It is better to put the pigtail on the front flying line side, rather than the steering line side (putting the pigtail on the steering side will limit depower and negatively affect relaunch).
Edit 5/10/2013: I've found the best way to tune the kite is to fly without the pulleyline, to find the optimal trim between front and rear lines. Next add the trimline. If the pulleyline is too short, you'll get backstall and high bar pressure. It the pulleyline is too long, the steering speed will be slower.

If a kite manufacturer reads this, please publish the bridle lines for your kites, either in your manual, or on your website. Flysurfer has been making bridled kites longer than anyone, and has always published the bridle lines for their kites (for models 10 years or newer). Bridle lines that go through pulleys will shrink, bringing the kite out of tune.
Last edited by sflinux on Fri May 10, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:43 pm

sflinux wrote:
If a kite manufacturer reads this, please publish the bridle lines for your kites, either in your manual, or on your website. Flysurfer has been making bridled kites longer than anyone, and has always published the bridle lines for their kites (for models 10 years or newer). Bridle lines that go through pulleys will shrink, bringing the kite out of tune.
I recently asked a kite manufacturer for the bridal measurements on a 2007 kite because the kite was flying a bit odd and i wanted to see how far the bridals were out of spec. Replacement bridals are no longer available, so there was no more commercial value selling replacement bridals.. I was told that they will not provide this information to the public. If we are to believe that every year brings new and improved designs, I was asking for outdated technology..I really do not see the downside of providing this information except a loss of customer loyalty by refusing my request.

Return to “Kitesurfing”