Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mutiny removes pulleys from their kites :-)

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mutiny removes pulleys from their kites :-)

Postby L0KI » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Your main concern for a C kite might be about positive and direct feel at the bar.
Somebody else might feel that having good solid pull through turns/transitions/loops is what a C kite is all about.
A third person may feel that a useable unhooked pull on a C kite is what is most important, as opposed to what you get when you unhook with an SLE/Bow.
The no backstall feel that is more common with C kites is one of the reasons I like them better than sle's which (even the Rebel) all seem to stall far more readily than a C shaped canopy kite.
Slack line after pop for passing the bar is super important to some, and means nothing to and old hooked in dangler.
I believe a C kite is a C kite when the canopy is C shaped, but it is just an opinion.
We have many variations of C kite now, but none of them are bow/delta-ish shapes.
I agree that talking about "pure C kites" is nonsense these days, if somebody wants to label a kite a hybrid C kite, then great...whatever.
The term SLE is no longer really a way to identify a kite type, everything currently but a Fuel has a supported leading edge, I think?
Some used to think that the Vegas with the super slanted tips was not a C kite, ...so is it a C kite now?
A loaded fifth is a bridle (SLE), and in the case of a Vegas, it is attached at two places to provide support.
If a Vegas is a C kite..then a C4 is a C kite.
If a C4 is a C kite..then a Prime is a C kite..etc, etc.
.....but we all know an RPM is surely not!!! :lol: jk jk

kiteharder
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteharder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:10 pm

I tried the new Mutiny F- and S-Series, they both came without pulleys and I must say: really great kites. Unbelieveable, how pulleys are destroying direct steering. Even the F-Series 14m kite now turns as fast as a much smaller kite. Never thought that it could be such a big difference.
This weekend I hope to test the 12m S-Series, which is my favorite kite this season, I tried out the 10m some weeks ago, and I had that "wow-feeling" after a long time of seeing no difference between all the kite brands...This kite comes with only 2 struts, less weight and this is what you can feel immediately when you turn the kite your first time. Incredible fast, but never loose control, big low end and also a brilliant wave kite, as it never will front stall. Very fast restart. Hope to see all this good features at the 12m too... I will post here next week.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:36 pm

kiteharder wrote:I tried the new Mutiny F- and S-Series, they both came without pulleys and I must say: really great kites. Unbelieveable, how pulleys are destroying direct steering. Even the F-Series 14m kite now turns as fast as a much smaller kite. Never thought that it could be such a big difference.
This weekend I hope to test the 12m S-Series, which is my favorite kite this season, I tried out the 10m some weeks ago, and I had that "wow-feeling" after a long time of seeing no difference between all the kite brands...This kite comes with only 2 struts, less weight and this is what you can feel immediately when you turn the kite your first time. Incredible fast, but never loose control, big low end and also a brilliant wave kite, as it never will front stall. Very fast restart. Hope to see all this good features at the 12m too... I will post here next week.
Great to see more companies are adding 2 strut designs too. There really are benefits to the light designs.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:37 pm

I don't have a problem with bridle designs that require pulleys, they serve a good purpose, but the pulleys themselves are problematic. The companies that are going to these slider rings instead of pulleys are on the right track IMO;

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 pm

Can someone explain how Mutiny has retained the "mini-5th" or front two-line flagging system to be compatible with their updated kites with no pulleys? I thought that pulleys were required to allow the kite to flag out correctly... i.e. Cab, North, Core, etc... Mutiny's current bar looks to be the same "mini 5th" system used for their older kites with pulleys. :?:

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:13 am

The new bar is now single line flag out

Return to “Kitesurfing”