Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

If you were considering the future of kiteboarding?

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: If you were considering the future of kiteboarding?

Postby Starsky » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:12 pm

The batten idea is a good one. Instead of struts, which are dissapearing anywhay we could have a batten that can be tensioned to creat and hold different profiles. Weight is certainly an issue, but it doesn't have to be as substantial as what windsurf sails have and you probably could just use one or two to do the job. Less airflow dissturbance than a strut but just as effective for relaunch and stability but with custumizable power.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 pm

I have a new idea about how to make struts.

Instead of battens or tubes, what you do is take a bunch of very small diameter tubes, and thread kite line through them put them everyplace you would have air tubes or battens, now tighten the line, maybe use a winch or lever for that final pressure and tie it off maybe lark's head onto a knot on the end to hold it. It would operate on the same principle as those bottom push toy dancing figures you might have played with.

You could have tubes about 1 inch in diameter with the structural strength of a large air tube, less weight and unlike a batten would pack down as small or smaller than an air filled tube

Setup, take down would be quick just pull tight or relax a single cord that connects all the little cylinders.

I'll have to build my own kite to do this, I think my first try at it will be a C kite . . . just to cut down the variables and make it all about the skeleton and not the bridle etc.

Don't talk to me about relaunch first things first, I'll get to water relaunch after I get the first prototype built.

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Ive recently saw an article on gizmag about a fabric that under vacuum became a stiff plastic.
i believe kite could use this concept to create a batten that is stiff under vaccum and flexible without it and you can customize the profile of the kite.
i believe it was a company or university from spain.
very cool idea to incorporate on kite design without weigh increase and aerodynamic drag or interference.
http://www.gizmag.com/varstiff-vacuum-h ... ile/26549/
this is the link for more info!!

zact
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Manly, Queensland
Style: Kook
Gear: Naish Cult '08 - 9 and 12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby zact » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:38 am

edt wrote:I have a new idea about how to make struts.

Instead of battens or tubes, what you do is take a bunch of very small diameter tubes, and thread kite line through them put them everyplace you would have air tubes or battens, now tighten the line, maybe use a winch or lever for that final pressure and tie it off maybe lark's head onto a knot on the end to hold it. It would operate on the same principle as those bottom push toy dancing figures you might have played with.

You could have tubes about 1 inch in diameter with the structural strength of a large air tube, less weight and unlike a batten would pack down as small or smaller than an air filled tube

Setup, take down would be quick just pull tight or relax a single cord that connects all the little cylinders.

I'll have to build my own kite to do this, I think my first try at it will be a C kite . . . just to cut down the variables and make it all about the skeleton and not the bridle etc.

Don't talk to me about relaunch first things first, I'll get to water relaunch after I get the first prototype built.
You might find a cleat is an easier option than tying off or lark's heads.

Many moons ago I liked the idea of using something like the multi-jointed tent poles that are pretty much universal - assemble, slide into batten pocket and tension with a webbing strap. Not quite as simple to use as your system, but might be easier for prototyping.

Personally, I don't envisage stiff battens as the future. But it's still an idea that could be worth playing with.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:19 am

Zip-on or lace-on struts, add/subtract as needed.
More dynamic control of the sail via load paths/cut/shape to allow it to cup or reflex TE in response to gusts, maneuvers...
2-part wings to allow major camber changes in flight - send it deeper, point higher, more range....
Unlimited supply of kites for me...
Semi-rigid speed kites with 1 or 2 lines and wireless servos for trim, basically a tethered glider...
2020 kites released for Christmas 2013 -not!
Kites that don't pick up grass and mud stains...
Super-light self-healing bladders, definitely.
30C and 10-20m/s wind, endless head-high 14 second waves, every day....

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:08 am

I would like to see one pump kites as an add on option instead of the standard this falls under "reasonable" request because i know I am in the minority on the one pump issue. I am a firm believer in the simpler the better.
---------------------------------------------------------
I would like to see line connections that can be removed and replace easily by the average kiter. My factory lines tend to wear out at the connection or on the line next to the connection sleeve. A simple method of removing the connections shortening the lines 12 inches and reattaching the connections to the lines that would be simple and quick to do on the beach.

Two advantages for quick connections.

!. Safety,Anyone on a budget will be less likely to squeeze one more session out of a set of factory lines that are in marginal condition. With easily interchangeable connections, I would be quicker to cut off the factory ends before they become questionable.
2. Choice of line size without the cost of buying from a factory. Having bars with different line lengths can give a kite more top end (with shorter lines) and bottom end (with longer lines) for the kites you have. also, it is easier to use a variety of extensions and experiment with line sizes to develop your preferences instead of just accepting the factory line lengths as optimal.

Return to “Kitesurfing”