Forum for kitesurfers
saltire
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Atlantic Kite Challenge underway .

Postby saltire » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:21 pm

You can track the riders live progress here , think they might be heading for a sesh in Capetown first !
http://enablepassion.com/live-tracking/

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Re: Atlantic Kite Challenge underway .

Postby DSZ » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:00 pm

saltire wrote:You can track the riders live progress here , think they might be heading for a sesh in Capetown first !
http://enablepassion.com/live-tracking/
Sure looks that way, must not have a westerly wind right now. I'm hoping they head west soon as I will be in the Turks early December and hope to see them come in.

saltire
Medium Poster

Postby saltire » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Looks as if they are heading west now . :thumb:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:13 pm

as far as I can tell the 50 foot cat they chartered averages around 6-10 knots in what looks to be pretty moderate westerly wind about 15 knots, while the kites are able to go 20. they should be able to make their schedule but man I don't think I am so jealous of them any more it's gonna be a hell of a slog. I think they had to head south to pick up a more westerly wind so the chase boat could go faster, not for the kites.

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:41 pm

edt wrote:as far as I can tell the 50 foot cat they chartered averages around 6-10 knots in what looks to be pretty moderate westerly wind about 15 knots, while the kites are able to go 20. they should be able to make their schedule but man I don't think I am so jealous of them any more it's gonna be a hell of a slog. I think they had to head south to pick up a more westerly wind so the chase boat could go faster, not for the kites.
The cat has to go faster than that or they would never catch the kiters. One reason why they probably choose a cat as opposed to a mono hull.

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Interesting to see how the specially designed launch/land platform performs . it doesn't look particularly well thought out, but like to see it in action

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:17 pm

DSZ wrote:The cat has to go faster than that or they would never catch the kiters.

You're in the middle of the ocean, and can go 20 knots, and your chase boat can only go 8 knots. Explain to me how you are going to leave the chase boat behind again? It's certainly possible for the cat to only go 6-10 knots. The last 24 hours they have gone 212 miles which I believe is average 8 knots. I believe wind speed is 15 knots.

You can get a faster cat, like one of them racing 60's like an ORMA they are probably 3 times quicker than this charter boat, but you would need to bring a racing crew with it and I don't think they are available to charter, or you could bring a ocean capable speed boat but then you would blow your entire budget on gasoline.

I think the organizers knew this would happen that the chase boat would be pretty slow, but I'm not sure all the kiters understood what they signed up for.

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Looks like they had a big fall out at the planning stage, with some of the riders pulling out.

Operating a two hour change over- 12 launch/ lands per day on water ,looks pretty impossible on paper. anyone got more info on how they achieve this ?

saltire
Medium Poster

Postby saltire » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Cape Verdi for some new props and lack of wind hope things improve or looks as if Santa will be dropping some prezzies in the middle of the sea.

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:04 pm

Anyone know what the connection is between the challenge organisers - Enable Passion and Blue resorts and Marinas, owned by N.Y based venture capitalists?

The object of the trip seems to be to reach this new millionaires resort in time for the grand opening ceremony, or am I missing something...

Return to “Kitesurfing”