Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Heading to Oahu - help! which beach, which kite??

Forum for kitesurfers
kelamist
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Style: All round, wave, boosting
Gear: North Orbit
Switch Nitro
Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Heading to Oahu - help! which beach, which kite??

Postby kelamist » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:18 am

Hi All,

This is pretty much my first post, been reading the forum for a while now and gaining some good tips and advice. cheers.

So.. I'm off to Oahu for two weeks in June for a holiday (im from New Zealand), and am really keen to get out for a kite while im there!.

My skill level i would describe as 'low intermediate', been kiting for nearly a year now (lovin it!) and am at the stage where im pretty comfortable cruzing around popping some small airs off waves (havnt sussed the flat water load and pop yet), riding upwind fairly well etc.

Ive done a bit of research and found that on Oahu, Kailua Beach may be the best place for me get out in the water?

Just after a bit of advice really, best beaches for me on Oahu (dont think i'll make it over to Maui) and also which kite to take? I have a set of 2010 Cabrinha Switchblades 8m, 10m and 12m. Can only realistically take one with me for the trip!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Re: Heading to Oahu - help! which beach, which kite??

Postby Dr Makani » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 am

June is better than February - but still kulanalana
Out of your 2 weeks I would guess you'll be able to kite 3 or 4 days (maybe). So better bring your plan b and explore the island. If you are into surfing or snorkeling, than I would congratulate you to your new beach master. As for kiting I am afraid your have the short end of the stick.

Bring your 12. Even if you get lucky and it blows, than you might be better off with a smaller board. Kailua beach would be your best bet. Set up is in the grassy area, roll up your lines and launch your kite standing in the water. Do.not.argue.with.the.lifeguard.if.they.send.you.further.down. Just do it and move. Once up just head out to the reef (you'll see the other kiters). Don't be closer than 200 yards to the shore or swimmer. The spot has gotten hyper sensitive to all water sports.

There are a couple of beaches north and north west to the island, but they are quite deserted, with tricky currents and for advanced riders. Honestly I am hesitant mentioning them because last year quite a few malihinis got in trouble.

peace

kelamist
Rare Poster
Switch Nitro
Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby kelamist » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:06 am

Dr Makani wrote:June is better than February - but still kulanalana
Out of your 2 weeks I would guess you'll be able to kite 3 or 4 days (maybe). So better bring your plan b and explore the island. If you are into surfing or snorkeling, than I would congratulate you to your new beach master. As for kiting I am afraid your have the short end of the stick.

Bring your 12. Even if you get lucky and it blows, than you might be better off with a smaller board. Kailua beach would be your best bet. Set up is in the grassy area, roll up your lines and launch your kite standing in the water. Do.not.argue.with.the.lifeguard.if.they.send.you.further.down. Just do it and move. Once up just head out to the reef (you'll see the other kiters). Don't be closer than 200 yards to the shore or swimmer. The spot has gotten hyper sensitive to all water sports.

There are a couple of beaches north and north west to the island, but they are quite deserted, with tricky currents and for advanced riders. Honestly I am hesitant mentioning them because last year quite a few malihinis got in trouble.

peace
Im coming over with my wife and definately intend to explore the island, surf, snorkel etc.
even if I get one day kiting I will be happy.
sounds like Kailua beach will be the spot, we are hopefully staying at Lanikai Beach for the end of the trip, so nice and close.

Thanks for the advice, will definately respect the rules.

Cheers,

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:57 am

Kailua for sure.

Launch where everyone else is. Do not under any circumstance launch or go in the swimming area. Ever.

kelamist
Rare Poster
Switch Nitro
Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby kelamist » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:20 am

tautologies wrote:Kailua for sure.

Launch where everyone else is. Do not under any circumstance launch or go in the swimming area. Ever.
Thanks, will check out the beach and make sure I know where I'm supposed to be before I head out.
Do you also recommend taking the 12m as my only kite?

giowind
Rare Poster

Postby giowind » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 am

Kailua for sure and you can also launch from Lanikai but can be narrower and a bit shallow but still pretty easy. Kailua is an easy setup and plenty of people to help so start there. Yes, 12 if only one kite... if quiver than 9 and 14. Otherwise 12 is best one kite quiver that time of the year. Weather has been weird last few years so hard to tell what is going to happen. Wind seems more on and off than steady trades. So couple of weeks of epic wind then nothing... summer is usually lighter and steady winds. water is warm... all is good... have fun

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 am

giowind wrote:Kailua for sure and you can also launch from Lanikai but can be narrower and a bit shallow but still pretty easy. Kailua is an easy setup and plenty of people to help so start there. Yes, 12 if only one kite... if quiver than 9 and 14. Otherwise 12 is best one kite quiver that time of the year. Weather has been weird last few years so hard to tell what is going to happen. Wind seems more on and off than steady trades. So couple of weeks of epic wind then nothing... summer is usually lighter and steady winds. water is warm... all is good... have fun
Yes probably 12...but not easy to say. Might be a good time to get a good travel kite.... :)

Lanikai has a lot more people and the beach is small. The homeowners over there also detest kiters..if you launch there you might not have a place to land when you get back in. You'll see :)

kelamist
Rare Poster
Switch Nitro
Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby kelamist » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks for all the advice,
I will pack up my 12m and try get out at Kailua. From what I've seen in my research the island looks amazing, and Im so stoked just to be going to explore, surf, swim and chill out. If I manage to get a day or two kiting in that will just be the icing on the cake!

Can't wait!

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:53 pm

I am from Aus and kite Kailua each year in late June and early July. Some good advice been given here. Since last year the council have stopped the kite lessons, or so I read and are clamping down to protect the locals. Protect what we have.

I kite about 5 out of 7 days, I find that afternoons seem windier but not always. I am 88kg and use my Switch 12 mainly and 10 when a squall comes in and only sometimes the 14. I use a 144 board and Skillet. Set up is good, Launch is tight, showers and toilets nearby, shop around the corner, no wetsuit needed just a good long sleeve rashly, sun is a killer.

I also get across to Kite beach Maui for a day trip. Airfare is cheap, hire car cheap, kite for the day on my 8......awesome.

I stay in Waikiki and drive up, 25mins each day. Might see you there. No doubt will pick the accent eh bro.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:58 am

dejavu wrote: I also get across to Kite beach Maui for a day trip. Airfare is cheap, hire car cheap, kite for the day on my 8......awesome.

I stay in Waikiki and drive up, 25mins each day. Might see you there. No doubt will pick the accent eh bro.
airfare isn't cheap any more...used to be $29...not regular price is 3x that. Offers at 2x. + fees for luggage.

If you do go to Maui, just take a cab down to the beach..or walk. Works too. My preference has been Island Air because the planes are small and they are more relaxed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”