Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, TX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to kiting and deciding what might be best

Postby Spartan29 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to kiting and I'm looking to purchase a foil but was wondering what might be best for my size. I'm a bigger guy (6'3" 240lbs) and I really want something that can pull me around on a beach and also maybe some body dragging and toting around on a tube or something in a lake. Because I want the dual land/water, I was thinking maybe the HQ Hydra 350 but I keep seeing people say that they are 170lbs and it takes strong winds to give even them a workout so I'm wondering if this will be strong enough for me?

Does anyone have any suggestions that might be similar (same price range too) or do you think this Hydra will do the trick or....

Thanks for the help!!
Sparty On!

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: New to kiting and deciding what might be best

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:27 pm

I have the HG hydra 300, it is a very good trainer kite. It is pricy compare to others.
I think it is worth it. For your weight the 350 should suit you better. To body drag in water, you will need stronger wind like 15 knots +.

Mikites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Petobego sand bar
Gear: Blade trigger and fat lady
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New to kiting and deciding what might be best

Postby Mikites » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 pm

I'm going to get flamed for this, but... http://www.panshkite.com/index.php?gOo= ... t&gcat=122 If you get $200 worth of stuff they are giving you a free 3.5 meter closed cell depowerable kite, so you could get a 4.5m closed cell fixed bridle, a set of lines and a free 3.5m sheetable closed cell for less than 1 hydra 350. You would still need a cheap bar, but still.. I know I will get flack but I didnt want to tear up my new lei quiver snow kiting and I bought a 12 meter aurora and got a free 6m flux. I am seriously impressed. Build quality actually is much better than my buddies hq mattixx, flies just the same but $1000 cheaper. My buddy was actually sick to his stomach when we did a side by side comparison.

Return to “Kitesurfing”