Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Warning: if you try sliding hook you will never go back..

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Warning: if you try sliding hook you will never go back.

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:04 am

The cut spreader bar is a new take on it.

Justbob: its been said before but that style of caribiner can catch lines, your leash etc. your safer using a screw gate one that nothing can get caught in.

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:29 am

Ya, the carabiner being rated 18kn is super strong, but as Starsky noted could open and tangle with lines. Will have to get one with a screw down gate. Only into this for $10 so far so...As for the slack, prolly will have to adjust it a little tighter after I try it. Thanks fellers :thumb:

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 am

Starsky wrote: Justbob: its been said before but that style of caribiner can catch lines, your leash etc. your safer using a screw gate one that nothing can get caught in.
This is very true. The gate MUST be lockable. I commercial fished in AK for many years. My gillnets were six different connected sections. They were connected with caribiners. We had a reel on the boat that would reel in the nets. The caribiners were also reeled on and were under a lot of pressure from lines that were reeled on top of them, Because of the pace we fished we had to connect and disconnect the nets very quickly. Screw gates were not an option. What we did was use a section of hose (less than an inch in length) that could be slid over the gate. The hose would fit just tight enough to slide on the gate but still have plenty of grab so it could not move by accident.. We would just close the gate and slide the hose up so it was half on the gate and half on the hook. I can tell you that this method never failed to keep the gate from opening accidentally under forces much great than can be replicated kite boarding. I found a small diameter garden hose that worked well, but you could also use some clear air hose from you local hardware store. Just bring your caribiner to the hardware store and find a hose that fits.

I would prefer to use the hose over the screw lock because it is quicker and easier to open the gate when something goes wrong.

FYI ... I ripped up a lot of nets in conditions like this. KAOS!!!
Crowd.jpg
Crowd.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:11 am

You guys are unbelievable :thumb: with your brain working hard to find solutions to save $$$
If you continue this way we should reduce prices 50% :lol:

Seriously, hand made security is always a risk because some kiters could do it wrong and jump into safety trouble. Kiter must trust his CL quick release device, we added to DYNABAR an additional release system to release hook and front leash in case you are rolled by a big wave but will never suggest to remove CL QR.
We did a solution some time ago and moved QR to DYNABAR, maybe next season will be available.
Attachments
V7 PR.jpg
JAY QR Sliding.jpg

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:16 am

jaystore wrote:You guys are unbelievable :thumb: with your brain working hard to find solutions to save $$$
If you continue this way we should reduce prices 50% :lol:

Seriously, hand made security is always a risk because some kiters could do it wrong and jump into safety trouble. Kiter must trust his CL quick release device, we added to DYNABAR an additional release system to release hook and front leash in case you are rolled by a big wave but will never suggest to remove CL QR.
We did a solution some time ago and moved QR to DYNABAR, maybe next season will be available.
To me it makes sense to have the Q/R on the harness. You only need to have one then instead of one for every kite bar, and its always the same Q/R you operate.

It should be better/safer and cheaper in the long run.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:49 am

This thread has (kind of) turned into a safety release thread and not a sliding hook thread.
The Dynabar is a really cost effective sliding hook system that performs better than most home made stuff.
My chicken loops release just fine, and my safety leases release the kite completely if the sh!t really hits the fan.
The Mystic releasable spreader bar hook (thread) is all about letting things go without opening your chicken loop.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite2Heaven » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:21 am

Back on topic... I tried a sliding hook n went back :) too much getting pulled off balance by the slide during MegaLoops :(

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:T
The Dynabar is a really cost effective sliding hook system that performs better than most home made stuff.
My chicken loops release just fine, and my safety leases release the kite completely if the sh!t really hits the fan.
The Mystic releasable spreader bar hook (thread) is all about letting things go without opening your chicken loop.
The DynaBar is a reasonably priced well thought out piece of equipment. Chicken loops do work well now for the most part, but, don't underestimate a kite companies ability to screw something up when trying to promote a "new and improved". version with half-baked R&D. Early adopters of a new piece of equipment end up being the R&D team which is how V2s come about. Pathetic when it happens.

i agree with ronnie that QRs should be removed as a control bar component
ronnie wrote:To me it makes sense to have the Q/R on the harness. You only need to have one then instead of one for every kite bar, and its always the same Q/R you operate.

It should be better/safer and cheaper in the long run.
Why should we pay for a QR for each bar which greatly contributes to the $400+ cost of current control bars when we only need 1. Just like we only need 1 harness. Bars would become less expensive and simple to repair for the average kite boarder. I would be more likely motivated to buy a bar for every kite and leave them attached in the bag. In addition to "better/safer and cheaper in the long run" it allows us more choice. Currently when you buy a bar you have to buy the QR and trim/depower system that come together. Wouldn't it be better if you could choose the QR you want and the trim/depower system you want separately?

Control bars could come with a simple ring under the bar which would hook to a QR attached to the harness. the QR could pivot from a fixed point in the center or slide. The Mystic solution is a step in the right direction, but I think better designs without detachable flying hooks will evolve like the one Jaystore posted if it was attached to the harness instead of the control bar. The challenge is to find a customer base large enough that has the ability and interest to simplify their own bars that would work with a QR offered as a separate component. The answer may be for a manufacturer to also offer simplified bars along with a separate QR.

I think the DynaBar is a great product because it provides a superior experience for those of us that are not unhooking. Apparently mega-loops are also out :lol: . The DynaBar offers an experience you did not know you needed or wanted until you try it. I love that!! Separate QRs offers different benefits.. Separate QRs are safer, will reduce costs and provide more choices for the consumer, but, will not enhance your riding experience.

flylow
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Stuart, Fl and Long Beach, Turks
Gear: 9-12-14.5 Ocean Rodeo Aluua
North Select and Axis Surf board

Postby flylow » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Pretty funny inventors here. Spinning the wheels. Youse home made guys are prolly using 2003 Wipika 2 line kites because they are cheap. Good luck to you all. The already smooth Dynabar with the rope is terrific. Let's see an invention "better" then the Dynabar... not just a cheap home made job replica. I had the earlier version 3...then the 6 and now the 7. I must say that I tried the rope version instead of the metal slider and will never go back. Effortless kiting. At first I was intimidated to try it having only used the metal slider. But being in a hurry to get on the water I just used the Dynabar rope. I was solo kiting and I thought ...gee..if I have a bad water start and the rope thing sucks...I may be in trouble without a helper to land the kite. After I kited I realized that I had totally forgotten about the Dynabar ropey thing and just enjoyed my session. Keep thinking "out of the box."

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:56 pm

I think the dyna bar is a great product, but due to my current financial shituation, kids, mortgage, bills whatever... I can't afford one yet. So if the poor boy version I have doesn't pan out ( even on the water) ill just hook onto my old hook and go. Still only out 10 bucks

Return to “Kitesurfing”