All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Blade fat lady vs Best TS v2 17m
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:57 pm 
Medium Poster

Anyone ridden both of these kites chime in?

I'm 95kgs riding Xenon Infra 138/41 and Naish Custom Fish strapless. Advanced rider into strapless and freestyle and good old fashioned boosting!

How do these two kites compare with regard to low end and high end?

Found a great deal on both of these and looking to pull the trigger soon.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Blade fat lady vs Best TS v2 17m
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:23 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Mystic, NP Surf.
As a dealer for Blade, I can only speak to the Fat lady's performance, but it sounds like a perfect fit....

Fast turning on a short bar.
Excellent depower.
Good low end pull.
Fun to ride.
Really easy to relaunch.

Rides really well strapless and excellent to jump when powered up.

Hope this helps,
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:33 am 
Frequent Poster

I have use both and couldn't wait to give back my demo TS but bought a Fat lady the next day.
I am a similar weight to you and would say that your range given the boards you use would be from 10 - 20 knts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:13 am 
Medium Poster

What didn't you like about the ts? How do the kites differ? Would one be better than the other for light wind freestyle?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:48 am 
Frequent Poster

The TS was slow on the turn and needed apparent wind before creating any power, it didn't loop as well, I rode my 13m back to back with it and found I could get the same results with working the kite a little. It didn't feel great with a surfboard due to it comparative slowness, and unhooked it was hard to find the sweet spot and required a lot of trimming which is annoying in our gusty conditions.
A few on our beach bought them or were given them as team riders and they all got rid of them as soon as possible. The V3 is much better apparently .
The fat lady is the most forgiving kite that i have used and is where i go to to learn anything new, it loops well, and give cable like pull and slack when un hooked. It isn't the best boosting or upwind of the big kites but for my needs it is the best option.
I actually long for the lighter wind days when it is in its zone rather than thinking of it as a chore like a lot of light wind kiting can be.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:41 pm 
Medium Poster

how do these kites compare with the other mainstays of the all round lightwind market ie..slingshot turnine and ozone zephyr. Looking for absolute most low end grunt that will have me out on my regular twintip unhooking and a bit of old school jumping?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:24 am 
Medium Poster

Bump.

Anyone flown the best ts v2 17m that can provide some feedback?

Compared with other lw kites?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:32 am 
Medium Poster

I have the 2013 TS 17m. I also have a 2012 Switchblade 16m and a 2014 Airush Lithium Zero.

The TS 17m is not an ultra light wind kite. It feels heavy and tough but the construction is good. It has an issue with the tips bending during relaunch in lighter winds. Check the RealWatersports 2014 TS review on youtube, even they mention that was an issue with the 2013 versions. I've also had the "micro bridle" tangle in the tips during relaunch a few times. The low end on it isn't very impressive and I added 4m extensions to the Best bar after a few sessions to get some more out of it.

It doesn't seem to have the grunt of the Switchblade 16 when you dive the kite but it's doesn't grab you by surprise and pull you off either. The 17 TS is faster than the Switchblade 16 but not by very much. It's steady in the air and has plenty of depower. Has a nice direct pull once you get it going. I've only flown it about 7 times so far so don't have much experience with it.

I like its upwind ability. It compares to the Switchblade but I'm not sure which one's better. Though it's definitely much better than the Zero. The Zero is still my go to kite if it's blowing 7-11mph. If it's 12-16 I would rig the TS and/or Switchblade and then I go down to the Switchblade 11. I'm about 175lbs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:16 am 
Frequent Poster

ok i'll chime in since you're not getting many responses.

I have a FL v2 and about a dozen rides on it. It's my first light wind kite, and was convinced by locals it was the way to go. I wrote up a longer review after a ride or two but I have a better sense of the kite now.

Pros: good grunt - it does have a lot of power. It will relaunch in almost no wind and fly in very little wind too ( I think many underestimate this aspect in a light wind kite, if it falls in the drink, you got to be able to relaunch it yourself). This weekend I was out in 6-9 knots of breeze, with two friends: I was the only one to get the kite up at all myself by self launching in the water and to actually kite back and forth for a little bit (using a airush sector 60). I think the FL excels in grunt and relaunchability.

Cons: it does not go upwind super well, I believe I have the technique down now, but it take a little finesse, even then its a little hard. Jumps in light wind are not that high either.

I would say this kite is a kind of like a freestyle light wind kite. It is pretty good for actually riding in little wind, but you can do tricks too because it loops really well and soft, and again easy to relaunch the kite in a tiny amount of wind.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I did a lot of reading and Internet research last year.
That research told me thar Many of the big kites are really good now with only small difference between them. I cant test where I am. And not everything is available to buy.
My short list was:
Blade Fat Lady
Slingshot turbine
Ozone zehpher
Core Xr2 17LW

I got the Core because I read it has good top end and decent low end. I wanted kite that is OK at 10, and managable at 18-20. I got good price on outgoing model. After a season: A good 14 or 15 will get me out in same low end, but Core will make it much more fun and powerful. Has realistic and controlled, steerable top end of 20 knots. Fun at solid 10 knots. Im 80 kg, ride a 5-8, and 5-0 space pickle strapless.
Ive read that many 2014 models are incrementally better.

[ 10 posts ]