All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Symmetrical designs of TT?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey, so I am no board designer, but it is curious to me that TT's are mostly symmetrical from heelside to toeside. I know there are exceptions..especially in speed-board designs, but mostly... So board designers please enlighten me...

I understand front to back symmetry so they do not have to design different boards for people that are goofy, but the toeside to heelside and heelside to toeside are very different movements, and I am sure there certain advantages that could be won from thinking more specifically about how we use them differently?

Any thoughts?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Symmetrical designs of TT?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:39 am 
Frequent Poster

My 2010 Nobile T5 is not simmetric :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:57 am 
Very Frequent Poster

pmaggie wrote:

Yeah I saw those. Very nice...bonus they look good too :-)
The non-symmetry of those seems very small though. How does it feel riding them?
What do you think the advantages are?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nor is my flyboard radical...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:04 am 
Frequent Poster

Unfortunately I'm not the most expert here, my two cents: I think, about my T5, that the "bigger" heelside edge works fine when riding upwind. The toeside edge, more rounded and smaller, helps to carve when you're riding toeside (normally you don't want to go too much upwind riding toeside). Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Sym boards are better for hot landings

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There are plenty of assym boards around. you just have to look closely. its usually pretty subtle.

Most light wind doors are assym.

My board is assym front to back.... aka its a mutant. A glorious wave riding wave boosting monster.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:52 pm 
Frequent Poster

tautologies wrote:
pmaggie wrote:

Yeah I saw those. Very nice...bonus they look good too :-)
The non-symmetry of those seems very small though. How does it feel riding them?
What do you think the advantages are?[/quote]

I had Nobile ahd for a season.No real diff due to the asymetrical design /at least I didn`t feel such/
Now I have symmetrical Monarch wich I kept for second year...
L.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

plummet wrote:
There are plenty of assym boards around. you just have to look closely. its usually pretty subtle.

Most light wind doors are assym.

My board is assym front to back.... aka its a mutant. A glorious wave riding wave boosting monster.

So of all the boards in kiteboarding the only ones I dislike are the doors. Just a personal preference thing....mutants I've not had huge success with...but I get the boosting..mainly from the amount of power you could hold with it.

Edt:
I am not sure why a symmetrical board would be better for landings. Intuitively I get what you are saying and I don't disagree, but I'm sure it must be possible to design an asymmetrical board that is great for hot landings?

Ludmil: Thats kind of what I am thinking just looking at the board..I have not ridden it so it is not experiential...understand me correctly I've had a lot of great TT's and they were all symmetrical, so don't disagree...but I am figuring that we might be leaving some doors closed that could potentially take the handling to the next level. ...and I am super happy with my monarch too :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:30 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I big door with more rocker than standard and no fins is a fun thing in light winds. Its a fruity feeling in the waves zipping down a head high face no fins in 12 knots. Its super super smooth. Sure you can't crank turns like a surf board but you can do really cool sliding tricks on the face and with precise edge control you can cut back pretty hard.

When you think about your assym thoughts for heel/toe side the same theory applies assym front to back in a wave location. Punching out through the surf requires a different set of variables than riding back in with the waves. So why not have a board that optimises both directions?

Old school mutant boards were pretty average to be fair and there is very few latest technology mutants on the market. But I can tell you a well designed mutant is a magical thing. It feels like a TT riding backwards with not disadvantage at all campared to a normal TT. Riding forwards allows for far superior wave riding than any TT could hope for. Does it feel exactly like a surfboard? No it doesn't. If you want the feel of a surfboard, but a surfboard. If you want to ride waves and also boost and goof around like a TT then the mutant is the perfect tool.

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next