All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Miami area any beaches?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:49 am 
Medium Poster

Hay, Hay, I said beaches.

So I just moved to miami I went to a few kite beaches one Matheson Hammock is now private/IKO. the other Dania Beach has posts all along the beach and I did not see the sign for kiting. Just wondering where I can go. is there anywhere left in south miami area?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Miami area any beaches?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:59 am 
Medium Poster

If you are IKO certified, hitup Crandon Park in Key Biscayne.
Matheson Hammocks Park is a concession, not a private beach.

Miami Beach has an unrestricted area and a restricted area, google it on the web.

You can drive down to the Florida Keys.
You can drive WAY up to Jupiter.

Let's hope the forecast for next weekend comes thru !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:07 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Find many beaches on www.splocs.com

Crandon Beach Park in Key Biscayne is awesome!

Or Miami beach!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:33 pm 
Medium Poster

In 27th St you will find a good group of kiters. That's where I usually go.
Do you need anything else than the IKO certification to ride at Crandon?? I heard some kind of insurance was needed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:17 pm 
Medium Poster

IKO sells the insurance, you also need to buy a Daily or Annual Pass from the MKS concession and on top of that pay the daily parking fee for Crandon or get an annual parking pass. Last but not least, there is a $1.75 toll to get into Key Biscayne. Nickels and dimes but they hit you everywhere and it adds up fast.

It is a great spot though - soft, gentle sand, shallows going out like 2 miles, fat launch beach. The launch area is generally free of non-kiters. The main area right in front is typically quite crowded but if you run out to the sand bar about 2 miles out, you can get a nice glassy area with no people, shallow water, pure sand on the bottom, and good wind exposure.

If you are an advanced rider, you could always ride down to Stiltsville and back altho thats a long trek on the upwind portion. Stiltsville is awesome - waist deep shallow water, clear, no one messing with you, no stupid artificial rules. Fantastic wind exposure from all angles (Crandon can suffer issues from any West based winds, straight North, or straight South based winds).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

you can kite crandon without IKO, just not in the over-regulated clusterfuck everyone else goes to. just drive farther south to the public beach and walk past the last lifeguard tower 100 yards, hardly anyone goes there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

South Key Biscayne is a gray zone. You can do, but be very careful. And the police might get called when you want to launch or land your kite. Not sure what happens, or if they just tell you to not kite there.

At low tide you can launch easily from the sand bar.

And if you are not sure what you do with a kite, go to Crandon Beach Park, to not make any problems for the locals. Know your abilities!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:42 am 
Medium Poster

If the Crandon Park rangers catch you walking from the southern parking lot to the Village of Key Biscayne beach with kitesurfing gear, they will kick you out. Been there, done that, about 4 weeks ago.
Head marshal dude in a pickup, other ranger guys have let me slide in the past.

Village of Key Biscayne, its illegal to kitesurf within 300m of the shoreline, as indicated by the signposts that say "Vessel Exclusion Zone". There are multiple such big posts in the water, you are supposed to body drag to that area then get up once past there. There are alot of cranky people in those last few buildings who will call the cops if you start joy riding in front of the beach. Couple hundred bucks per ticket, seen people get ticketed, have had cops talk to me. Those people (especially one retired guy on the 8th floor of last building) will actually take PICTURES of you standing on a board in front of the posts and send it to the cops. They are THAT bad.

I just body drag out past the posts - btw there is a huge, ankle deep sand bar just past that first post perfect for launching. You just gotta swim/walk out to it (use your leash to your pump loop to make the kite manageable). Do NOT launch from farther down the beach; I had like 6 cops show up one day when I landed and re-launched in front of the Ritz Carlton. Cops claim over 14 different people called - that building is very touchy. No ticket as I was on public property, just "the chat" to ensure I knew I had to body drag past the posts.

So far I have not had any tickets myself but have seen the police on multiple occasions. Whenever the people who live there give me a hard time, I nod my head, let them swim, walk, whatever while I twiddle my thumbs, and have avoided conflict with them. The beach is public to a point, then becomes private.

TO do it all legally: Get dropped off in front of one of the public access sidewalks to the beach, setup past the private property signs, either leave your gear on the beach or have someone take your gear back to a car, park that car in one of the few public parking spaces (there are like 12 in front of the KB Beach Club), and that person has to make his way back via public access (far away). THe residents of KB are generally not friendly towards other people using their beach - they prefer everyone goes to Crandon if not an owner/renter/guest. That is why the toll station on the Causeway does not accept SunPass - they want that traffic snafu to serve as a soft barrier to people coming in. I have family who live in KB and I have socialized with the actual property owners and longer term renters, it very much is that way. KB is not supposed to be Miami Beach is their perspective.

Personally, I've grown exhausted with KB BS. I like the Keys and I wish to explore Jupiter for some wave action, willing to drive so I can setup 20 ft from my car, see my car while riding, make pit stops to grab lunch without having to walk forever and ever or worry that someone else stole my slot on the roster, not deal with the cop "chat" even when I have not done anything wrong, not pay exorbitant tolls, parking fees, access fees, shark bite insurance (you should READ what IKO insurance covers/does not cover), etc. More than anything, I love the scene in the Keys as aside from a few annoying people, most of the kitesurfers who go down there are cool and laid back. I've swapped boards, tried out kites and lent my kites, helped other people (form waterstarts to S&R for lost boards), and been helped in turn. KB just has bad JuJu despite being a spectacular beach. Village of KB is a royal pain to access if you are not staying at one of the beachfront condos as that is who the beach is intended for.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:57 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Folks, time to grow up and take care of our access, wherever it might be.

Dodges, cheats, "you can do this" type bs was old in this area over a dozen years ago and was costing access even then. You may think you're getting away with something but in fact you are voting in NO uncertain terms for MORE restrictions and outright bans.

Add up all the restricted and lost great areas in highly populated, transient Miami, where kiting got going in a big way at the start of the sport, there are long term problems all over. We are lucky to have what conditional access will retain today having fought for quite a bit of it for over a decade.

Why? Because that is what we insisted upon by irresponsible riding behavior, repeatedly, for years, at least in the minds of the authorities. Being a good rider is more than being able to throw some tricks, it is being able to do it in a way that keeps us flying. Otherwise, what is the point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:56 am 
Frequent Poster

RickI wrote:
Folks, time to grow up and take care of our access, wherever it might be.

Dodges, cheats, "you can do this" type bs was old in this area over a dozen years ago and was costing access even then. You may think you're getting away with something but in fact you are voting in NO uncertain terms for MORE restrictions and outright bans.

Add up all the restricted and lost great areas in highly populated, transient Miami, where kiting got going in a big way at the start of the sport, there are long term problems all over. We are lucky to have what conditional access will retain today having fought for quite a bit of it for over a decade.

Why? Because that is what we insisted upon by irresponsible riding behavior, repeatedly, for years, at least in the minds of the authorities. Being a good rider is more than being able to throw some tricks, it is being able to do it in a way that keeps us flying. Otherwise, what is the point.

Quite possibly one of the stupidest posts ever....well done ricky, you and your ego have excelled yourselves this time round.

Lol...can anyone else spot the bizzarre total lack of reasoning here driven by pure ego??

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next