Forum for kitesurfers
monkeymongrels
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

issues with north boards. anyone else have this problem

Postby monkeymongrels » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 am

i got a 2012 North Team Series last year, new, from an online dealer i've used before that has always given me good deals, never had any other problems with gear i've gotten from them.

within 2 months, moderate use, the handle had torn in half (its rubber, but i thought it would be tougher than that). i didn't sweat it since i don't do board offs, but it was still kind of a drag since it was a relatively new board

then three months later, riding in surf, one of the fins unscrewed itself, twisting sideways and dropping one screw. again i was able to get in without issue, but i lost those screws. it's happened twice since then, losing screws both times. again i never lost the fins- but good luck finding a screw thats the right length, diameter, and thread spacing to fit a north board. stores don't carry them, at least not in the US.

so i have a board, with old crap fins and no handles. otherwise its pretty good- but i'm not gonna bother contacting the dealer since its clearly a defect with the board design. and its practically impossible to contact north directly since their websites just basically direct you back to where you bought their gears..

anyone else had issues with this or other north gear? how the hell do i get in touch with them directly

thanks for the sounding board

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Re: issues with north boards. anyone else have this problem

Postby pj sofine » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:25 am

So to sum it up,no problem with board, you failed to check fin screws to make sure they were tight, and the 5$ handle broke. And the problem is?

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 am

monkeymongrels wrote:i got a 2012 North Team Series last year, new, from an online dealer i've used before that has always given me good deals, never had any other problems with gear i've gotten from them.

within 2 months, moderate use, the handle had torn in half (its rubber, but i thought it would be tougher than that). i didn't sweat it since i don't do board offs, but it was still kind of a drag since it was a relatively new board

then three months later, riding in surf, one of the fins unscrewed itself, twisting sideways and dropping one screw. again i was able to get in without issue, but i lost those screws. it's happened twice since then, losing screws both times. again i never lost the fins- but good luck finding a screw thats the right length, diameter, and thread spacing to fit a north board. stores don't carry them, at least not in the US.

so i have a board, with old crap fins and no handles. otherwise its pretty good- but i'm not gonna bother contacting the dealer since its clearly a defect with the board design. and its practically impossible to contact north directly since their websites just basically direct you back to where you bought their gears..

anyone else had issues with this or other north gear? how the hell do i get in touch with them directly

thanks for the sounding board
I bought a North board used from a dealer, never had a problem with the fins or handle. If you go to a real hardware store or West Marine you can get stainless replacement screws of the right size and type.

Jdude
Medium Poster
Style: newschool
Gear: Xenon + Slingshot

Postby Jdude » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 am

Finding the right screws aint much of a problem.
Next time check your screws once in a while, especially on a new board because the salt didn't do it's thing yet.

Babel
Medium Poster

Postby Babel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:01 am

pj sofine wrote:So to sum it up,no problem with board, you failed to check fin screws to make sure they were tight, and the 5$ handle broke. And the problem is?

Thats how I would sum it up too ;) Actually, I broke my 2011 handle too ones, but a call to the dealer and 2 days later my new 2012 board handle was in the mail.

xenosd
Rare Poster
Style: freeride, boost
Gear: 2014 12m North Rebel
2014 9m North Rebel
2018 7m North Rebel
2013 10m North Vegas
2014 Xenon Laluz

Postby xenosd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 am

I have a 2011 gonzales and once in a while I have to check and tighten the screws. Mr friend's handle broke too. I personally don't see it as a problem, but I'm not sure if these checks aren't necessary on all boards.

JaanTatikas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pirita, Vääna, Nõva

Postby JaanTatikas » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 am

Own the 2012 Jaime Pro, have not yet ridden it but the thing with the handle was that it did not fit (the distance between two holes on the handle was about 4 mm shorter than on the board). I had to redrill/expand the holes on the handle to fix it to the board. Also all the fins seem to have a bit different angle when fixed on the board. Not what you would expect from a 500+ euro item.
All this can be seen as minor problems of course and im sure that i will perform well, just wanted to share my experience.

SO_FL_Kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL; Juno Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Kitebeach, Biscayne Bay
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 15M LF Envy, 12M North Rebel, 11M SS Rev2, 10M North Rhino, 9M LF Session, Airush Sector, Naish Custom Global 6'2", Liquid Force 5'7" FCD, Cabrinha Custom 136, Crazyfly Raptor 132

Postby SO_FL_Kiter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 pm

You will rarely if ever find the right hardware at a Lowes or Home Depot (big box hardware store). I have had great luck at Ace Hardware and West Marine stores for the stainless steel metric hardware, though.

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am

Hehe, who needs boardhandle these days except Toby anyway? :lol:

Board gets lots of vibration, so all screws will get out sooner or later, if you don't check them often. Take a lesson with pleasure, you paid almost nothing for it. :rollgrin:

I agree its pain in the ass to contact North directly. But there are many brands with better support, you can choose.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm

I put a reply on this thread this morning and the link i gave
made my computer Crash !

SORRY if anyone opened it & had problems ...

Anyway, the product i use to keep my SS bolts from backing out
on my boards, is called --Household Amazing GOOP-- .
WallMart & Home Depot sells it.

It never totally hardens and holds well. We also use it on
our RC helicopters because of the vibration.

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”