Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is line flex a varialble in bar pressure?

Forum for kitesurfers
Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is line flex a varialble in bar pressure?

Postby Puetz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 am

... line sponge is very real thing and I remember another little experiment I did which showed up the very thing you mention, heavier steering.

I went to a local yacht shop and bought the best line they had to replace the single line that goes from the depower strap to the front Y point. It turned out to be really spongy and each dive of the kite, the kite would distort and the bar got heavy. If I dived the kite slower and let it creep up and down it wasn't as bad but load it up, it got worse. What I concluded was the kite angle of attack changed and the kites back lines were too short during the flexing, choking the kite. If you choke the kite, steering gets worse and you notice this as heavier bar pressure. Without the line flex the AOA stayed the same and therefore wouldn't choke and steering is normal.

There must be some stuff or treatment on lines that must wear off after time. I noticed that after a few months the lines would get little fibers hanging out, sort of looks like it gets furry. So I figure that if the outside parts of the line wear, maybe the inside fibres are wearing down too making the line thinner by enough to cause the flex we feel. Over 20 to 30m of kite lines, this is enough for us to feel it as spongy lines.

Robbie :D

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm overhauling the SS bar with thin lines. Obviously the CSS will not be used due to line length differences but I like some of the SS bar components, very solid chicken loop base compared to LF. I will then fly the REV and see how it goes. Of course I will loose performance but I purchased the REV for its stability in gusty garbage NY great lake winds not kite loops. Will post my experience.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:17 am

Didn't make a difference.

Moved to the lowest knots on the rear down lines, the highest knots on the LE and switched to a 55cm bar and wala...light bar pressure...thank god...

Return to “Kitesurfing”