Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FireWire vanguard ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby Coloradokiter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:50 pm

I just got my new FST 5'4", not the kite construction but the FST build. and it weighs in with pad and wax and fins at 6lbs.

Also compared it to our shop Slingshot T-Rex 5'2" with pads, wax, fins (NO straps) at 8lbs 10oz..

The FST Vanguard is really light. I only have about 2 hours on each board back to back and the VG blows away the T-Rex. The T-rex is nice but the VG is so smoother.

Outside
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Outside » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:47 am

felixp wrote:Hi,
Weight on 5'2 Kite VG will range from 3.10lbs -3.20lbs
A stock surf model VG comes in at around 2.41lbs

Food for thought
Standard Surfboard comes in at 5.31 lbs

Hope this Helps

all weight- no fins attached.
Coloradokiter wrote:I just got my new FST 5'4", not the kite construction but the FST build. and it weighs in with pad and wax and fins at 6lbs.

Also compared it to our shop Slingshot T-Rex 5'2" with pads, wax, fins (NO straps) at 8lbs 10oz..

The FST Vanguard is really light. I only have about 2 hours on each board back to back and the VG blows away the T-Rex. The T-rex is nice but the VG is so smoother.
Felix,

Is it possible you meant kg rather than pounds in your VG weights? 3.2 lbs for a kite durable board is stunningly light. If true, I will definitely buy one.
Thank you for answering our questions.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 am

Coloradokite - just to be sure I understood correctly, yours is now stock surf model or "kite" FST model?

If it is the normal stock surf model, are you not afraid of not buckling it, ie. pretty much everyone here who has the normal surf version has snapped or heavily damaged the board by kiting with it only a few times?

Thanks, very interesting concept and glad to see it's coming to shops finally =)

andrewb44
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, Prea, Taiba
Style: freestyle
Gear: Core

Postby andrewb44 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:56 pm

omg,
Firewire is going to have FOUR vanguard models:
1. Standard stock model
2. FST model - similar to other FST constructions (available now)
3. Kite specific model - extra reinforcement (more reinforcement than an FST model, also more weight), not yet available in retail but should be out very shortly
4. Timbertek - they are still having problems with the construction - will be out in a few months. Theoretically this one should be the best for kiting by providing the optimal weight to strength combination.

Look out for the Firewire Vader....

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:21 pm

"omg" mine is the stock surf FST construction. No I am not to worried about buckling it since I have now padded it up from the tail to the front foot. helps a lot with heel dents and wax is usually just gone for me within an hr of riding so wax just doesn't work for me. We've been doing that with other Firewire FST built boards with no issues. I'm 55 yrs old so I don't really jump it more than a few feet.

felixp
Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire

Postby felixp » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Sorry for the typo.
5'2 VG will come it at around 6.8 LBS
A standard FW FST surfboard comes in at 5.3LBS
Giving the strength factor then strength to weight ratio not a bad combo at all.
One of the best on the market.
Timber tek will not be released in the VG models this year. FYI
Regards
Felix

felixp
Frequent Poster

Postby felixp » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:53 pm

For the European shores the first batch will be arriving in May and RRP will be in the region of
€849.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Oh man, MAY ? :roll: My retailer here in Sweden said April- and thats the start of the season.
Guess i have to wait. :-?

I am also old guy and was thinking of getting the surf version, because its not like we get any real surf here, biggest is 2 m mushy wind waves. But tons of chop.
I´m building boards and stuff all my life and dropping 2 layers of 6oz glass on the deck and adding a deckpad to the surf version is a weekend job.
Am i crazy to try that?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:17 pm

i can get a firewire vanguard 5-4 in white rapid fire for 580£ - thats about 150£ cheaper than the kite version will retail for in Sweden. I already have the glass and epoxy- and have some deck pad material i can cobble together...

Will this work Felix ? Actually i was thinking of getting the 5.2 because i am 80kg and ride a 5.8 Slingshot celeritas all the time without any problems in Light wind or high winds.
Looking for a more slashy and fun board.

I guess i should just wait...but when you say May, that means June in my experience and June is too late.

felixp
Frequent Poster

Postby felixp » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Tom,
Thats the safe date, so maybe a little before. For your weight and light wind option I would go for the 5'4.
Regarding the surf version and beefing it up it will work for some time but with the amount of effort you put in and materials it really pays off to wait for the real deal.
I rode my surf version for a while but one wrong landing and the board is toast. I got 3 months out of it. Hope you can wait.
Felix

Return to “Kitesurfing”