Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby felixp » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:35 am

Have to add my 2 cents.
I have been riding the Firewire Vanguard for over 5 months.
Best small wave board I have used. (waves up to 5ft)
Might also have something to do with the magical lay up firewire use's in their boards.
These boards have amazing up wind performance surpassing anything but a foil or course board can offer.
Gets thru flat sections - fits into tight sections. Its a dream to use.

Guys at Firewire have been working hard to bring to you a durable, light Kite version Vanguard.
That does not lose it's crisp feel like most kite brands copies.
Hopefully those interested can hold of a little while longer to experience the real deal.

p.s tautologies: hit me up next time you are at Moke's take one for a spin anytime.

Regards

Felix
Attachments
931260_548642305188425_86266465_n.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:23 am

felixp wrote: Guys at Firewire have been working hard to bring to you a durable, light Kite version Vanguard.
That does not lose it's crisp feel like most kite brands copies.
Hopefully those interested can hold of a little while longer to experience the real deal.

p.s tautologies: hit me up next time you are at Moke's take one for a spin anytime.

Will do!! Looks like a fun board.

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi Felix,

Thanks for your two cents..
Question, what size do you have, how much do you weigh and how does it keep up in bigger waves?

felixp
Frequent Poster

Postby felixp » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi xray,
I have a 5'2 and a 5'4 I weigh 160 pounds ride in 12-25knots mainly.
The 5'4 was the first Vanguard I received. Don't let the length fool you.
I could manage on the light wind days but when the wind kicked in it was a bit too much float.
There is no resistance when trying get planning compared to other boards. Once it starts going it goes. I have had 230# guys on the 5'4 never wanting to go back to a normal board.
Saying this I beleive that a rider from 165-230 depending on wind conditions could have this one board in his quiver and be very happy.

Then I decided to dabble a little and see if I could go smaller.
I went to the 5'2 -perfect fit for someone my size as there is a bit of wind here in Hawaii and I can sink the rail a little more.
Both boards have identical characteristics with one just having a bit more foam.

Little bit more perspective boards paddle super easy - Had a friend surf my surf 5'2 in 2 ft slop -rider size 175#

Regards to big waves not sure what is big but I have had no issues with riding the Vanguards in 10ft faces.

Hope this helps a little.
Felix

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:15 pm

felixp wrote:Hi xray,
I have a 5'2 and a 5'4 I weigh 160 pounds ride in 12-25knots mainly.
The 5'4 was the first Vanguard I received. Don't let the length fool you.
I could manage on the light wind days but when the wind kicked in it was a bit too much float.
There is no resistance when trying get planning compared to other boards. Once it starts going it goes. I have had 230# guys on the 5'4 never wanting to go back to a normal board.
Saying this I beleive that a rider from 165-230 depending on wind conditions could have this one board in his quiver and be very happy.

Then I decided to dabble a little and see if I could go smaller.
I went to the 5'2 -perfect fit for someone my size as there is a bit of wind here in Hawaii and I can sink the rail a little more.
Both boards have identical characteristics with one just having a bit more foam.

Little bit more perspective boards paddle super easy - Had a friend surf my surf 5'2 in 2 ft slop -rider size 175#

Regards to big waves not sure what is big but I have had no issues with riding the Vanguards in 10ft faces.

Hope this helps a little.
Felix
More than a little! Thank you very much! Weigh 190 so the 5'4 should be fine!

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Great new info :) !

Felix, could you elaborate on the 5'4 being a bit too much once the wind kicks in? I was wondering at which windspeed you're experiencing that.

Thing is, waves build up towards respectable sizes over here when the wind's howling almost exclusively, so at my 176 pounds (that's excl. wetsuit/harness) the 5'4 should keep up when the average wind hits up to 30 knots.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks for all the info Felix! Is the 5'2 a prototype size or is FireWire producing them as well? Also have you done any big spins or shuv its with vanguard. I'm wondering if there is a noticeable difference having less nose, even with strapless spins

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 pm

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:Is the 5'2 a prototype size or is FireWire producing them as well?
The Vanguard "kite version" will be available in size 5'2, 5'4 and 5'6.

FYI the 5'4 size was perfect for me at 84kg / 1,91m.

Check my report on page one:
viewtopic.php?p=794234#p794234

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

felixp
Frequent Poster

Postby felixp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:47 am

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:Thanks for all the info Felix! Is the 5'2 a prototype size or is FireWire producing them as well? Also have you done any big spins or shuv its with vanguard. I'm wondering if there is a noticeable difference having less nose, even with strapless spins
All the Vanguards that I currently have are the surf version.
They are all production sizes. But very fragile, been taking it super easy on them.
Boards are super easy spin 360s on and shuvit. Great for jumping but have not been going to hard on it.

Will be great when the kite layup is complete.
BudhaNl wrote:Great new info :) !

"""Felix, could you elaborate on the 5'4 being a bit too much once the wind kicks in? I was wondering at which windspeed you're experiencing that.

Thing is, waves build up towards respectable sizes over here when the wind's howling almost exclusively, so at my 176 pounds (that's excl. wetsuit/harness) the 5'4 should keep up when the average wind hits up to 30 knots.""""

Your weight you will not have an issue at all. 5'4 all the way.
Its your money size.
Board really has a lot of glide so it really gets up and goes.
At 155-160 its that little bit too much foam to sink the rail when having that little bit of extra speed when a gust hits. Riding unhooked.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks Felix! Now to choose between Hellfire 5'6 or Vanguard 5'4... Any great early adopter deals available for the Vanguard ;) ;) ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”