Forum for kitesurfers
richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best
Brand Affiliation: None

Mystic Stealth bar any reviews please?

Postby richy-c » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:43 pm

About to change mystic Warrior harness but the new model has the clicker system which i dont like. I was thinking of upgrading to the stealth bar with hook. Anybody tried one?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Mystic Stealth bar any reviews please?

Postby Havre » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:08 pm

I like it. But I never had an issue with the old bar riding up and even if the old bar was a pain in the #^÷^# with cold fingers I kind of got used to it.

In theory you never need to adjust your straps again, but if you like to wear your harness really tight I'm not sure if that works in reality. Difficult to close it if you are tightening it hard.

I would never by a new harness with a regular mystic bar again, but unless you struggle with the bar twisting I wouldn't say it is worth the cost of upgrading if your already got a bar on your harness. So even if I like it I think it is a bit hyped how much better it is.

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:21 pm

Havre wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:08 pm
I like it. But I never had an issue with the old bar riding up and even if the old bar was a pain in the #^÷^# with cold fingers I kind of got used to it.

In theory you never need to adjust your straps again, but if you like to wear your harness really tight I'm not sure if that works in reality. Difficult to close it if you are tightening it hard.

I would never by a new harness with a regular mystic bar again, but unless you struggle with the bar twisting I wouldn't say it is worth the cost of upgrading if your already got a bar on your harness. So even if I like it I think it is a bit hyped how much better it is.
Ok thanks. Have you had any problems with it coming un done? My issue with standard clicker system is that it came un done on me a couple of times on earlier models. Maybe its improved now but one of the times it popped i got into trouble in waves.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:28 pm

I use the rope model, if the harness is super tight and dry, you might need to adjust the straps sometimes, however i just stopped tightening so much, and actually it doesn't ride up at all so I am super happy.
Mine never came undone by itself, I am looking at the design and I really don't see this happening, when it is closed the pull from the kite is actually pulling it closed, so to unbuckle it easier you need to reduce the tension a bit(by swallowing your belly for example).

It is not cheap, however i like it so much, i plan to get a second one with a hook in the future, and maybe one more for my GF
These users thanked the author HALF for the post:
iriejohn (Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:08 pm

I did have it release once. I accidentally closed the rope under the lever.

If you do get it on tight it can be hard to release as there is not a lot to grab onto,

If you like the harness tight, and the webbing dries out, it can be hard to close.

There is no place to put a knife on the bar.

I’ve had mine in almost constant use since last June. It is an excellent bar and the best rope slider bar out there.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post (total 2):
richy-c (Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:48 pm) • iriejohn (Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:35 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:33 pm

I don't know what will happen as it wears, but it has never come undone and to me it seems like a better design than any other closing mechanism I have seen.

Not that any bar has ever come undone for me. I'm rather anal about closing it correctly.

Never had any problems releasing it even if I have tightened it hard. Obviously not saying purdyd's experience isn't correct for him/her, but that has never been an issue for me.

Agree on the knife. Not sure why they haven't designed a place to keep the knife and a place to hook a short leash on to it. Neither big issues, but seems so obvious to me having it on there. Not a huge fan of connecting the leash to the webbing, but it works of course.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
richy-c (Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pm

Havre wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:33 pm
I don't know what will happen as it wears, but it has never come undone and to me it seems like a better design than any other closing mechanism I have seen.

Not that any bar has ever come undone for me. I'm rather anal about closing it correctly.

Never had any problems releasing it even if I have tightened it hard. Obviously not saying purdyd's experience isn't correct for him/her, but that has never been an issue for me.

Agree on the knife. Not sure why they haven't designed a place to keep the knife and a place to hook a short leash on to it. Neither big issues, but seems so obvious to me having it on there. Not a huge fan of connecting the leash to the webbing, but it works of course.
If you put on a completely dry harness and then kite for awhile, it will loosen up.

If you then come in and tighten it uo the webbing, it can be very hard to remove, ive found the best trick is use both hands pointer fingers one in each side of the lever.

The lever doesn’t have much of a grip to release.

If you do somehow manage to release the lever on this tightened harness and then let the webbing completely dry, you will likely have to loosen the webbing agin to get it in, especially after lunch. :D

If I can kite everyday and keep some dampness in the webbing I can keep set. Also if I am just foiling and I don’t load it up very much.

Some bars, dakine option bar first year for instance, can come unhooked, if they get loose and you ride toe side. It has nothing to do with putting them on properly they are just poor designs. There are other bars that have had this problem.

The mystic Stealth bar will not come loose. Solid design.

I’ve beaten mine up pretty good and it is holding up. I was worried about webbing wear, especially from the stainless buckle but that has not been an issue. And I got mine as soon as it was available in North America,

I’ve changed the rope slider twice.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:06 pm

One thing i noticed was the lack of padding where the spreader bar ends. I had a rib injury from a similar issue years ago. So that is one of the first things i look at on a harness. Either the spreader bar was to long or the padding should have been longer. I was looking at the size medium which i wear with a 34” waist. I currently use a warrior which has slightly more protection where the spreader bar ends. I wish Mystic would improve this because i love their harnesses and rib injuries suck.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:25 pm

purdyd wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pm
Havre wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:33 pm

If you put on a completely dry harness and then kite for awhile, it will loosen up.

If you then come in and tighten it uo the webbing, it can be very hard to remove, ive found the best trick is use both hands pointer fingers one in each side of the lever.

The lever doesn’t have much of a grip to release.

If you do somehow manage to release the lever on this tightened harness and then let the webbing completely dry, you will likely have to loosen the webbing agin to get it in, especially after lunch. :D

If I can kite everyday and keep some dampness in the webbing I can keep set. Also if I am just foiling and I don’t load it up very much.

Some bars, dakine option bar first year for instance, can come unhooked, if they get loose and you ride toe side. It has nothing to do with putting them on properly they are just poor designs. There are other bars that have had this problem.

The mystic Stealth bar will not come loose. Solid design.

I’ve beaten mine up pretty good and it is holding up. I was worried about webbing wear, especially from the stainless buckle but that has not been an issue. And I got mine as soon as it was available in North America,

I’ve changed the rope slider twice.
You have clearly gone about it a bit more scientifically than me :thumb:

I haven´t really noticed the effect, but I don´t wear my harness super tight these days.

And I didn´t suggest to say that no bar would ever come undone. I have basically only used the Mystic since 2015 or something. The old ones are sometimes difficult to get to click properly, but as soon as they do I have never experienced them to come undone.
Daversj wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:06 pm
One thing i noticed was the lack of padding where the spreader bar ends. I had a rib injury from a similar issue years ago. So that is one of the first things i look at on a harness. Either the spreader bar was to long or the padding should have been longer. I was looking at the size medium which i wear with a 34” waist. I currently use a warrior which has slightly more protection where the spreader bar ends. I wish Mystic would improve this because i love their harnesses and rib injuries suck.
Never even thought about it, but I guess we are all shaped a bit differently.

For my the Mystic Majestic series is just perfect. No pressure points anywhere - regardless of bar used.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”