Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

forum for kitesurfers


Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:36 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby Don Lester » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:08 pm

It's about time someone has started to rethink the chicken loop spreader bar hook interface...........

It amazes me how much in love manufactures are with unhooking, when only about 1% of kiters unhook !

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby JGTR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Will this work with no load on the hook? Systems that require a load to operate do not cater for all situations where a release could be required.

User avatar
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue May 14, 2013 9:07 pm

I have had a Slingshot Surefire spreader bar FOR YEARS and have never had a problem with it. I first had the version with the long leash that attached to the outside line safety, but moved to the new version which took into account the shorter below the bar safety leash attachment. In that move I also got the upgrade on the hook which had been beefed up. I think on the initial product release the hook to spreader bar attachment was bending. That problem went away very quickly once people upgraded. (though I never saw the issue)

The point is, this system has been solid for me for many years and many sessions, but I have been looking for a replacement since Slingshot has not revised it in several years and does not seem to be actively marketing the product. Even though I rinse it with fresh water after each session to prevent rust, metal does fatigue and I should be buying a new bar after so many years.

It is nice to see this new Mystic KRS system and I am curious to hear how other kiters like it.

One thing I don't like about the KRS is that the safety deployment causes a part (the hook in this case) to completely detach from the bar. This is seems very odd. Is this correct?

I know this is key to their design, but when things detach, they get lost. If you activated this in the water when you did not have it locked to your chicken loop (for instance you were practice unhooked tricks) you could very easily lose this spreader bar hook in the water. And THEN, it is not "with a simple handling (3 clicks) you can reset the hook and continue your kite session." That's bullshit. If the safety activation causes a part to detach, and that part is lost...you are shit out of luck, son! You'll be walking up the beach asking everyone if they have a spare spreader bar.

I hope I'm wrong. I haven't seen this system. I want to hear feedback and I hope Mystic and other companies continue to design spreader bar release mechanisms.

The simplicity of my Surefire system has me testing it EVERY session. As soon as someone catches my kite on the beach, I hit my Surefire button and release the CL. I'm now protected in case the catcher let's go of the kite, but more importantly, each time I kite my emergency release gets tested and I know it will work when I need it. If safety activation caused parts to fall off, I wouldn't go through the trouble of exercising it so much...

Image

Mystic is 100% correct with it's marketing, however- safety releases are different on every kite and it is best to have a constant you can rely on attached to your harness.
No matter what kite you demo or fly, if your safety release is always the same it will become 2nd nature.
In an emergency you will reach down and release your kite without confusion. :thumb:

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:27 am

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby SpaceRacer » Wed May 15, 2013 6:25 am

First off, thanks to Mystic for trying. What a great innovation.

I am no engineer but my concern with the Mystic and the SS is that there is still hardware left behind for a line to snag on. A true backup safety should ditch all of the hardware, I.e. the whole spreader bar or the whole freaking harness for that matter.

I had the SS and my CL would pull out of the flexible plastic clip whenever I leaned in toe side. Would scare the hell out of me. Just more hardware in the graveyard bin.

User avatar
nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 1:11 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Style: wave,big air,megaloops
Gear: Epic kites,g-force boards,cohete surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby nikalaitzian » Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 pm

try it from 10 - 35 knots!!! works fine ...... only in unhooking got a little prob to reattach the CL but i think its a matter of frequent use...i dont know if a tangled line can activate it accidenlty :roll:

User avatar
nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 1:11 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Style: wave,big air,megaloops
Gear: Epic kites,g-force boards,cohete surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby nikalaitzian » Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:I have had a Slingshot Surefire spreader bar FOR YEARS and have never had a problem with it. I first had the version with the long leash that attached to the outside line safety, but moved to the new version which took into account the shorter below the bar safety leash attachment. In that move I also got the upgrade on the hook which had been beefed up. I think on the initial product release the hook to spreader bar attachment was bending. That problem went away very quickly once people upgraded. (though I never saw the issue)

The point is, this system has been solid for me for many years and many sessions, but I have been looking for a replacement since Slingshot has not revised it in several years and does not seem to be actively marketing the product. Even though I rinse it with fresh water after each session to prevent rust, metal does fatigue and I should be buying a new bar after so many years.

It is nice to see this new Mystic KRS system and I am curious to hear how other kiters like it.

One thing I don't like about the KRS is that the safety deployment causes a part (the hook in this case) to completely detach from the bar. This is seems very odd. Is this correct?

I know this is key to their design, but when things detach, they get lost. If you activated this in the water when you did not have it locked to your chicken loop (for instance you were practice unhooked tricks) you could very easily lose this spreader bar hook in the water. And THEN, it is not "with a simple handling (3 clicks) you can reset the hook and continue your kite session." That's bullshit. If the safety activation causes a part to detach, and that part is lost...you are shit out of luck, son! You'll be walking up the beach asking everyone if they have a spare spreader bar.

I hope I'm wrong. I haven't seen this system. I want to hear feedback and I hope Mystic and other companies continue to design spreader bar release mechanisms.

The simplicity of my Surefire system has me testing it EVERY session. As soon as someone catches my kite on the beach, I hit my Surefire button and release the CL. I'm now protected in case the catcher let's go of the kite, but more importantly, each time I kite my emergency release gets tested and I know it will work when I need it. If safety activation caused parts to fall off, I wouldn't go through the trouble of exercising it so much...

Image

Mystic is 100% correct with it's marketing, however- safety releases are different on every kite and it is best to have a constant you can rely on attached to your harness.
No matter what kite you demo or fly, if your safety release is always the same it will become 2nd nature.
In an emergency you will reach down and release your kite without confusion. :thumb:


you dont loose it cause of the safety spring.I ve activated over 50 times ... the hook was always on the CL.kinda difficult to reattach it when you re on the water.

User avatar
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed May 15, 2013 3:09 pm

nikalaitzian wrote:...

you dont loose it cause of the safety spring.I ve activated over 50 times ... the hook was always on the CL.kinda difficult to reattach it when you re on the water.

Thanks for the clarification. How does the safety spring work? Does it automatically engage when you deploy the safety or do you have to manually engage it.

Sounds fine if it is automatic!

Since the information online is blurry it is tough to tell what the unit actually does. My thought was that when people are practicing unhooked tricks you will never have a CL secure mechanism engaged (donkey dick, spring clip, etc.). However, if you can leave the hook uncluttered for easy unhooking but still not lose the hook in a safety deployment, then they've thought it through. :thumb:

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:27 am

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby SpaceRacer » Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 pm

No, you lose it by going toeside and your chicken loop pulls hard up against the plastic mini donkey dick and you simply blow out the backside, no accidental activation necessary. Talked to SS about this and they admitted that this was its Achilles Heal.

User avatar
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed May 15, 2013 3:13 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:...I had the SS and my CL would pull out of the flexible plastic clip whenever I leaned in toe side. Would scare the hell out of me. Just more hardware in the graveyard bin.

Did you insert the plastic clip between the two bars that make up the hook or just turn it in front? Took me a while to figure out that you have to bend it and hook it in secure. If you just rotate it in front of the hook it will come out. Didn't come with any documentation to tell you this though.

If your Surefire is still in good shape, send me a PM and I'll buy it from you. I twist pretty far toeside and have never had it come out. If you are securing the plastic tab, perhaps it's just different harnesses, riding styles or CL material causing an issue. ?

User avatar
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:54 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Nobile Flying Carpet
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Como Lake - Italy

Re: Mystic KRS Safety Release Spreader Bar

Postby pmaggie » Wed May 15, 2013 3:48 pm

I think it's a great innovation. Maybe it's not state-of-the-art for the moment but it's a step ahead, I will for sure buy one, non matter if it's not perfect, it's always better than a standard one IMO.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests