Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Postby omg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:43 am

any chance to see the Kiteboarding mag's review on Surf, please? I don't have access to the mag nor testing possibility of the kite =(, but I am interested in the kite.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:58 am

Here you go Mr. omg:
Attachments
promotion SURF.jpg
SURF 12m.jpg

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Having a great time in Puerto Rico on the SURF 5 / 8 / 12.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 6.56.35 AM.png
SURF 12 and REEF 5.7 board.png
Father and Son.png
surfing on SURF 12.png
G0040810 5.jpg
G0030632 6.jpg
G0020545 3.jpg
G0030667 4.jpg
G0060509 2.jpg

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:31 pm

OMG!!!

Thats the expression i have after riding waves with the Surf 8m.

The difference from any other kite i have riden(including the Renegade 4G with the wave setup) is huge!!.

ok from the beginning :

wind 25-30 knots on-shore
waves small to medium (1-2m) with a lot of chop between them
kite : 8m Surf
board : ATV 5'7" strapless
rider : 84 kgs well experienced

First i had a doubt to be overpowered cause when i lifted the kite i was way powered and i putted the grey knots of the 4G bar in the less power.After again the kite was a bit powered but i was so horny(sorry Toby) to try it so i went in.
I was surprised when i saw that i had no problem to keep the edge of the board even strapless and maintaining good upwind even overpowered so i can get away from that washing machine waves close to the shore.The other great thing was the bar pressure and generally the feeling of the kite. Even with the trim belt pulled to the middle.So i builted confidence after a while and started to charge some waves.
While riding the wave either you put the kite super low or 45 degrees the drift is almost the same.The kite didnt seem to stall even if by mistake my speed was more than the waves.Suddenly i bypassed the kite and there comes the miracle!The kite didnt stall and it continued drifting with me,leaving me riding the wave in the real surf way with the lines total slack.
Ok i overdone it one time and crashed the kite.But even with the on-shore wind and swift waves i manage to relaunch it in almost in no time and i noticed that the kite was on its leading edge but the waves couldnt submerge it.That made me even more aggressive with the kite so i started to go even faster using donloops to catch the waves from the back..Awesome session or should i say the session of my life.

I am so stoked with that kite.From the flying and the performance in wave riding.
I dont know what Dimitri and Momi did but its in another class.

needless to say about the top quality of construction.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2014-04-17-14h39m32s121.png
vlcsnap-2014-04-17-14h17m46s97.png
vlcsnap-2014-04-17-14h38m43s145.png
vlcsnap-2014-04-17-14h16m35s165.png

Longwave
Rare Poster
Local Beach: PnP
Favorite Beaches: Les Landes...
Style: surf
Gear: RRD Religion 7m Switch Method V2 9m and 11m
RRD Obsession 9m and 12m Blade Trigger 10m
RRD Addiction 14m etc... and kitesurfboards (F-One fish 5'2", Underground 5'8", surfboards and a North nugget)
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Longwave » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:09 am

Hi Nikalaitzan, nice review. Have you tried other dedicated wave kites before and if you did can you compare??

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:41 am

Longwave wrote:Hi Nikalaitzan, nice review. Have you tried other dedicated wave kites before and if you did can you compare??
Yes i have tried a few.

Airush Wave: very good kite,good driffting but it was too underpowered for me.also i didnt like the relaunch.too slow

North Dice:almost a free ride kite since the drifting is not so noticed.Low end was crap and the hole construction looks very light.good relaunch cause of its weight

Cabrinha Driffter: The most noticable for me.Rock solid construction very good drifting and good relaunch.Big issue with the upwind ability cause the kite seems to fly too much deep in the window.I hated the bar..feels like holding a cucumber specially in the bar ends witch are vey thick.Loved the lines.

I will have a chance to try more but how you like a kite is a riders style,ability and taste matter.

i tried 4 and found that the Epic Surf is the best for me.

i gave the Surf to the guys who gave me the ones that i tried.They found the kite very good and they were impressed.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:35 am

Now you understand why the magazines said: "THE SURF IS IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN".
I am here in Puerto Rico on vacation with my son so no work and trying to do no demos, but still people come to the beach and want to try the EPIC kites. And since I am in Puerto Rico for surfing I brought only the SURF 5/8/12 m kites and the surf boards. So I let few kiters demo the SURF 8 & 12 and they loved it. Actually one of them wanted to buy the SURF 8 on the spot but told him I could not do that since that is the only one I have for now.
Attachments
Solid as a rock.  This is where I landed the kite.png
Please no demos I am on vacation.jpg
Father and son kiting on Surf 5 and 8.png
Dimitri and the surfers.jpg
G0030667 2.jpg
G0010944.jpg
Dimitri sharing the waves with the surfers on the SURF 12.png
Father and son.jpg
Surfing in the morning kiting in the afternoon.jpg
11 year old son Cameron surfing with dad.jpg
SURF 8.jpg
G0030661 1.jpg

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster
Style: Jumps and waves
Gear: Small c kites that don't have bridles and no 5th line. Epoxy surfboards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bob Marley » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:06 am

Dimitri M wrote:Now you understand why the magazines said: "THE SURF IS IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN".

Because that's what you paid them to put in the "review"? :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :o

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Poster: Bob Marley
Because that's what you paid them to put in the "review"? :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :o
Well if that is the case Bob Marley, can you explain to me why we are sold out and why few people want to buy the kite on the spot after demoing it.
Yesterday was my last day in Dorado Beach Puerto Rico, and after letting some one demo the SURF 8, he wanted to buy it on the spot. I told him I could not selling the kite because we are sold out and would not have one for me to use when I get back home. Same thing happened few days ago at Shacks Beach Puerto Rico, some one else wanted to buy it after testing it in the waves.
Any way the person in Dorado Beach wanted the kite so bad, that he offered me more then the retail for a used SURF 8. I guess I will have to use my RENEGADE 9 until we get a new shipment of SURF 5/8/12 next week.

P.S. You are probably going to say that I paid this person to buy the SURF 8 more then retail.
Attachments
My son Cameron getting ready to launch the SURF 5.jpg
Dimitri doing the surf dance.jpg
G0120944.jpg
DIMITRI.jpg
G0012211.jpg
DIMITRI having a blast on the SURF 8.jpg
11 year old Cameron Maramenides killing it on the SURF 5.jpg
me and my son sharing the waves. best feeling ever.jpg

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nikalaitzian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Bob Marley wrote:
Dimitri M wrote:Now you understand why the magazines said: "THE SURF IS IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN".

You should give it a try but you must know to ride waves so you can judge by yourself.. :wink:

As Dimitri said it is a sold out kite.I m a teamrider/rep for Epic and i was forced to wait 4 months to have a demo kite since there is no one left to buy.

Dont be another hater/basher. :nono: Just try it and write an honest review.Nobody said that it is the best kite that you can buy .

Just try it before you buy another kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”