Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:24 pm

Mr. Dimitri, dont get me wrong, but do you like rabbits?
My home spot is very gusty, and they work very well on waves with a good direct feeling etc...
Hello Mr.jmopd. When you say rabbit, you mean the Wainman kite correct? If so, yes I like these kites for a different type of riding style and the reason they are good for gusty conditions is because of their low (AR) aspect ratio.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:26 am

There was a thread not long ago Dimitri where crew discussed the ultimate surf kite. It went on for pages. I suggest you dig that one up and read.

One thing was apparent from this thread, everyone has their own definitions and the wave kite market in itself is extremely differentiated.

My question to you is...what can you do that is different? Will you just produce another wave kite that other kites out there satisfy that styler disposition on the wave. How will you differentiate yourself from the plethora of other wave kites.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:34 am

There was a thread not long ago Dimitri where crew discussed the ultimate surf kite. It went on for pages. I suggest you dig that one up and read.
One thing was apparent from this thread, everyone has their own definitions and the wave kite market in itself is extremely differentiated.
My question to you is...what can you do that is different? Will you just produce another wave kite that other kites out there satisfy that styler disposition on the wave. How will you differentiate yourself from the plethora of other wave kites.
Will look for that post Mr.Westozzy thank you.
Also about your question concerning what will be different with the EPIC "SURF" kite!!!! Well one thing for sure, I will try to put into the SURF kite as much inputs that Momi and I have been gathering from every body and try to come up with something unique. But this will require a lot of prototypes. Right now the prototypes we have been working on are really nice but I know we are still far from the final production one. Once we are close will post some pictures so you guys can have a look to what we have been working on.
Once again thank you for all your help and for the link.

ym
Medium Poster
Style: Wake
Been thanked: 0

Postby ym » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:01 am

5/8/10/12 would be nice.
Drift + Direct feel :thumb:

jetboy
Medium Poster

Postby jetboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:48 am

I clicked on this thread because the heading implies you have released a surf kite. It is misleading.... I've now stopped reading anything to do with epic, because of the forum marketing. Just seems more hype than product to me. :D

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:31 am

Being a BWS test team rider..I would think you could provide some useful feedback for Dimitri.
But I'm guessing that's not what you came for. :wink:
Thanks anyway.
jetboy wrote:(disclosure) I am a Ben Wilson test team rider and have...on the BWS test team riders forum.
I personally think Ben could make easier money...
Getting involved with forums, discussing your business, product, marketing, pricing etc would do my head in.
I've owned slingshot, naish, wainman, and had every model switchblade in the past.
I now have an 8m BWS noise....which equates to a 9m in most other brands... and undertow bar.
It is clean and comfortable in the hand with everything including 'off switch' and depower below the bar, medium bar pressure.
The kite is very stable with drift and unhooks easily, back line relaunch.
Kite is tuned for stability, not turning speed, hence you need to sheet in to turn quickly.
It loops well. In terms of durability it looks great........time will tell.
If your into waves or free ride it's well worth a look.
Last edited by L0KI on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

jetboy
Medium Poster

Postby jetboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:33 am

Oldnbroken wrote:Being a BWS test team rider..I would think you could provide some positive input to Dimitri here.
But I'm guessing you're gonna save it for BWS.
Thanks anyway. :bye:
jetboy wrote:(disclosure) I am a Ben Wilson test team rider and have...on the BWS test team riders forum.
I personally think Ben could make easier money...
Getting involved with forums, discussing your business, product, marketing, pricing etc would do my head in.
I've owned slingshot, naish, wainman, and had every model switchblade in the past.
I now have an 8m BWS noise....which equates to a 9m in most other brands... and undertow bar.
It is clean and comfortable in the hand with everything including 'off switch' and depower below the bar, medium bar pressure.
The kite is very stable with drift and unhooks easily, back line relaunch.
Kite is tuned for stability, not turning speed, hence you need to sheet in to turn quickly.
It loops well. In terms of durability it looks great........time will tell.
If your into waves or free ride it's well worth a look.
I ride ozone kites and have 1 momi designed kite of a different brand.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:42 am

jetboy wrote:I ride ozone kites and have 1 momi designed kite of a different brand.
Awesome..Me too! :cooltext:

jetboy
Medium Poster

Postby jetboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 am

And here you go then..
Bar..
-small chicken loop with push away safety. Plastic coated centre through bar with single front line flagging. Choice of riding suicide. or flagging. Ability to reach non stretch fronts for self landing. ie don't split the fronts high up. Soft bar ends, with functional line wrappers. Ability to use 1 bar through all sizes.
Kite.;
- Adjustable back line connection for low bar pressure; I like it super light. 3 strut design. Ultra Light yet strong canopy especially in larger sizes. Bumper protection. No bridal on rears. small on fronts. Snappy relaunch. One pump with direct connection like cabrinha or large inflation valve like ozone. Turning speed, direct feel on bar, moderate gust eating ability, decent low end, drift, and slack line hangtime. Basically a reo with another metre or two of punt. Can't comment on sizes without knowing wind range, but I like to travel with 2 kites and can see the logic in aiming your sizing to suit. atm it's a 10 and 8m. Provide a lightweight functional bag suitable for beach or travel. Over and out :)

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:08 pm

And here you go then..
Bar..
-small chicken loop with push away safety. Plastic coated centre through bar with single front line flagging. Choice of riding suicide. or flagging. Ability to reach non stretch fronts for self landing. ie don't split the fronts high up. Soft bar ends, with functional line wrappers. Ability to use 1 bar through all sizes.
Kite.;
- Adjustable back line connection for low bar pressure; I like it super light. 3 strut design. Ultra Light yet strong canopy especially in larger sizes. Bumper protection. No bridal on rears. small on fronts. Snappy relaunch. One pump with direct connection like cabrinha or large inflation valve like ozone. Turning speed, direct feel on bar, moderate gust eating ability, decent low end, drift, and slack line hangtime. Basically a reo with another metre or two of punt. Can't comment on sizes without knowing wind range, but I like to travel with 2 kites and can see the logic in aiming your sizing to suit. atm it's a 10 and 8m. Provide a lightweight functional bag suitable for beach or travel. Over and out :)
Thank you jetboy for taking the time in posting some of your inputs. Right now we have few SURF prototypes out and we are adding all these inputs in.
Now concerning the CL. I think a bigger CL will be better so you can hook and unhook faster and easier. But any way the JUDGE and SURF kites will come with an extra set of bigger "loop" in case the rider wants to ride with a bigger CL.
Also concerning the sizing.... having 2 size will be the best thing to do, but again that might be very difficult to come up with. So right now we have 5/8/11 but I am thinking of changing and have 5/8/10 and maybe 12. So every body is happy.
For the bar we already use one bar for all the kite. It's called the XTEND bar. In few seconds you can adjust it from 45cm to 55cm. The bar will come with 22m lines but will also have an extra set of 18 meters in the SURF bag. Also the bar will have 2 systems: a Suicide and a Kill Switch mode.
But any way once again thank you for your input.

Return to “Kitesurfing”