Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide
Has thanked: 0

Flysurfer Speed 5 9m 12m Wow! Looking Great! + Woo Records

Postby PBKiteboarding » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Flysurfer Speed 5 9m 12m Wow! Getting Scooped Up! Looking Great! Guys already ordering! So Excited.
Especially after blast over 30,000 Jumps on WOO with Speed in 8 Months 99days of Kiting! Now will go even Higher!! 6m 15m 18m 21m Coming Later!

More info to be added:
http://is.gd/dZlrZt

PBK Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

I was also able to Hit the Global... Worldwide WOOSports of Kiteboarding on the Speed 4's in these categories below. To show what can be done with these kites.

Record: Total Jumps 30,544 Jumps In 99 Session, 8 month
Record: 231.3km Total Height
Record: 6.29km.Total Height in 1 Session
Record: 36hrs Total Airtime

We're excited to see what the Speed 5's will do!!

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Speed 5 9m 12m Wow! Looking Great! + WOO Recor

Postby fogmeister » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:59 am

congrats paul!!!!...........an absolute stunning accomplishment!!!!!!!

...........looking forward to the 9 and 12..... on order!!!

and a fantastic 2016!

:cheers:

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:51 am

It looks like the biggest changes are a little more aspect ratio and a heavier fabric.

It is interesting that over time the fabrics were getting lighter and now a step back to a heavier fabric. I have kites with the Lotus fabric and have been surprised at how durable they are. Just the other day I turned and found a very large seagull pecking at my kite and had to chase him off. I was worried that he could quickly put a hole in the kite with his sharp beak. Not a scratch on the kite.

I don't think the weight of the fabric really makes much difference when flying, at least on the smaller kites. It might help a little on the 21m on a very light wind day. I do like the light fabric when traveling, helps keep the luggage weight down.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:58 am

they also going to have the sonics mini ribs in the leading edge......i wonder if it might be a smidgeon thinner to, than the lotus........and the inside is going to be stiffer and better reinforced.

Mane
Medium Poster

Re: Flysurfer Speed 5 9m 12m Wow! Looking Great! + Woo Recor

Postby Mane » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:23 am

as far as i understood the Speed5 is a totally new construction. Would make sense as the SONIC was a big step forward so lots of experience i guess FS took over.
Fabric is a new deluxe version with even better performance.
This weekend FS is on tour at Haidersee for snow kiting, i am keen to read feedbacks if they have S5 with them

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:01 pm

fogmeister wrote:they also going to have the sonics mini ribs in the leading edge......i wonder if it might be a smidgeon thinner to, than the lotus........and the inside is going to be stiffer and better reinforced.
Not miniribs but thin plastic stiffeners at LE. Miniribs are used in TE (not in Speed5), they double rib count there and make TE thinner.

Lotus kites have had some problems with breaking inner straps. Probably not any more in Speed5 as they are stronger now.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:16 am

kitexpert wrote:Lotus kites have had some problems with breaking inner straps.
Get out of here! Really?
So did my S4 DLX 8m2. Cell structure broke clean along the ripstop fabric and so did all the inner straps like you say.
FS insisted I must have crashed it hard once in the past to cause it to brake slow, if I don't remember any crashes lately.
I stil find it unlikely, but have nothing else, but to agree, however the question is how hard of a crash was enough for this to happen.
And I got the quote for rapair and shipping without tax :nono: Strange!

3 Infinity2 bars pealing after a year, low quality velcros degradating and need over stitching!? They say it is an easy and cheap fix.

It will take a long time tor me to try something new from FS. I feel skunked enough already.

p.s.: Did I mention how weird does the S4 dlx wing fly, bad low wind, disastrous wind range, no steering at high wind.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Small foils dont like being smashed into the water. I have seen some rip from one hit.

FS grip for a long time like many brands is shit. They recently improved it but I wonder why some companies even bother trying to make bars.

Interesting problems you had with your original speed4. Could you describe more what happened? Is the loss of wind range because the depower became less? Flysurfers (and maybe other brands) have their depower become slightly limited when their pulley lines shrink. Even the mixer test will only partially correct this. I can only imagine with the ABZ bridle on the original speed4 this would be much worse. Would have been easy to fix if you had looked for help. Did it start out with bad low end and steering depowered? The pyscho4 it's close cousin has really good steering depowered.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Well I have seen speed 4 standard hit snow on powerzone so hard that it bounced back 3m into air. Rider continued the session and still after 2 years rides the kite. So no damage to the kite. Stronger fabric and the luck was on his side..

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Standard fabric is definitely much stronger/durable than deluxe. If you look from a wing loading perspective smaller kites should use stronger/heavier fabric. But they also have denser cell walls, because of smaller cells, and are still the most likely sizes to rip cell walls. I also don't think I would enjoy a kite much more heavy than my p4-6. The 10m+ sizes in standard are definitely too heavy. God light weight people must have a really shit choice of kites. Though hopping on a 21m and riding in 3 knots must be interesting.

I think flysurfer have gotten stronger but hit them enough in the right way or with an aged kite and they'll break. Every time the kite gets smacked it will weaken just a little bit. Everything breaks.

I wonder if something like the Pansh magnetic valves could not be a good solution. I remember slingshot had valves that would often pop and help save a kite in bad crashes. Swimming is never great but fixing a kite is much worse.

Return to “Kitesurfing”