Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How strong is too strong?

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: How strong is too strong?

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 am

Problem is super high winds (ie above 40knot gusts) are usually violently gusty. Would love to experience super constant 40 knots. So much more comfortable choosing from bigger range of smaller kites in these kind of winds, and shorter lines.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 pm

I've got a 7m kite I've never used, a 10m that comes out maybe twice a year, and I'm psyched when I can get out on my 12 or 13m... and I get out whenever there's wind :( sucks being The Heaviest Kiteboarder in Japan :baby:

I usually go by the water conditions and feel of the wind, at my local spot - how white the caps are, how chunky the waves, ripples on the surface of the water, how much sand is moving... I gotta use a wind meter when it gets to about 18 knots though, cos above that it all seems the same and I like hitting the sweet spot with the kite...

Faber
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Faber » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 pm

When I cannot resist anymore with my 7m, there are two things which keeps me out of the water:
1. it's not safe
2. it's not fun
so what's the deal ?
I've broken 3 ribs with a backloop in gusty winds. I'm not into these stuff No More :nono:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Kamikuza wrote:I've got a 7m kite I've never used, a 10m that comes out maybe twice a year, and I'm psyched when I can get out on my 12 or 13m... and I get out whenever there's wind :( sucks being The Heaviest Kiteboarder in Japan :baby:

I usually go by the water conditions and feel of the wind, at my local spot - how white the caps are, how chunky the waves, ripples on the surface of the water, how much sand is moving... I gotta use a wind meter when it gets to about 18 knots though, cos above that it all seems the same and I like hitting the sweet spot with the kite...
Wow makes me think I should never come to Japan to kite. I'm in the 80-85kilo's range and my biggest kite is 13m.

I'm like Faber now. I am no longer kiting every chance I get just to kite. If it's windy and gusty I don't want to play. I'm into wakestyle and surf, I'll throw big air when it's nuking but it's not fun getting tea bagged because you hit a lull mid flight.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:51 pm

TheJoe wrote:Wow makes me think I should never come to Japan to kite. I'm in the 80-85kilo's range and my biggest kite is 13m.

I'm like Faber now. I am no longer kiting every chance I get just to kite. If it's windy and gusty I don't want to play. I'm into wakestyle and surf, I'll throw big air when it's nuking but it's not fun getting tea bagged because you hit a lull mid flight.
We're inland on a lake in the middle of the island, which probably doesn't help - there are much better places on the coast! I compensate by having really big kites :) thankfully, the new breed of light wind kites aren't slugs and can actually be fun.

Just make sure you come in spring instead of summer :D I'm still hooked and want it all the time...

Back on topic... kinda! Typhoon season gets pretty wild here... it's usually fairly consistent too, which is groovy. But we only get the tail at the lake...

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Postby jan_hou » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:23 pm

I got this picture yesterday when it was blowing 40+ knot.
It was very steady wind and I had lots of fun. I used 5M2 kite and a 5'11" surf board.
I totally agree with Peter's thesis. When the wind is common in the location, strong wind at 40+ knot is quite enjoyable.
The spot is Penghu, Taiwan. It is not too far from Japan.

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Postby jan_hou » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Kamikuza wrote:I've got a 7m kite I've never used, a 10m that comes out maybe twice a year, and I'm psyched when I can get out on my 12 or 13m... and I get out whenever there's wind :( sucks being The Heaviest Kiteboarder in Japan :baby:

You can use your 7M kite here in Penghu, Taiwan. :bye:

Jan Hou

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:03 pm

This day was measured to 27m/s (more or less 52knots) on the beach. kinda steady..

here is an average jump that special day :P

Long arms on a 8m kite :P

here is the same day. abit further out :D

LynchMob
Medium Poster

Postby LynchMob » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:49 pm

35+ knots is where I draw the line. Things just happen too quickly and the risks outweigh the enjoyment IMO. Having experienced a death loop on a 7m in 40kts is not something I want to do again.

JaanTatikas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pirita, Vääna, Nõva

Postby JaanTatikas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 pm

There is no such thing as too strong wind, only a too big kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”