Boots CT vs OT

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boots CT vs OT

Postby Starsky » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Weight difference is negligible at best.

Ride whatever floats your boat, but CT are warmer without floppy socks required. In really cold water those neo socks work better in a closed toe boot! Socks in sandles is a poor solution on land.... no dif on the water.

Sand is sand. It doesnt matter if your toe is open once there is sand or a shell in the arch or heel, you gotta stop and empty it. It doesnt just make its way up and out your toe while you ride. It can however make its way in if you happen to stop and stand in the shallows for even a couple seconds in OT boots. I find way less sand washing into my close toe boots than did in any of my OT pairs. Especially when puting em on in shallow water.

Other reasons for close toe. More structural integrity to the boot, No chafe on the top and side of your big toe. no risk of slamming the forefoot through the open toe. You might not have had that one yet but you can look forward to it.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 am

Cool Tnx, both OT and CT make good boot arguments, I've recently switched to Boots, and got OTs thinking of the easy of flushing sand and crap.

Tnx for the tip on looseness, I'm one of those dude I guess, but I will tighten them.

I got into boots simply, cause I wanted 1 bard that would work behind the kite and since I'm getting into the cable, so went with a tona'n'boots, although still getting the hang of things, I'm loving ridding boots, almost can't believe I ever rode straps/pads, yesterday I rode a couple of my buddies boards (straps/pads) felt really strange ridding them.

Cool thread.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:22 am

Would you ever snowboard with your bindings undone? Or throw on a knee brace but not do all the straps up? Cinch up. Probably the worst thing that can happen in boots is to have one foot come out and the board rotates taking your knee with it. Have fun but do em up. Nothing wrong with a recon lap or two with em loose but cinch up when it's go time.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:38 am

Starsky wrote:Would you ever snowboard with your bindings undone? Or throw on a knee brace but not do all the straps up?
Don't know, never snowboarded, or worn a brace, but I totally see your point, tnx for the advice, will cinch up from now on.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:25 am

pixelpedro wrote:Don't want to Hijack the thread, but quick question since its an OT vs CT boot thread.

To CT riders: do you have any problems with sand in the boots, what do you do? I got a pair of OT, mainly cause I kite the ocean and couldn't imagine kiting with sand in my boots from the beach start. Is this a problem for CT? what do you guys do, how does it work?

I don't have a climate problem, I'm in warm climate.
zloilyoha wrote:besides CT is more safe for sure - who knows what the shit can swim in the water?
And being new to Boots, how is CT safer?

Just curious. Tnx.
well, Starsky is already answered your question.
i guess everybody remember accident when Hadlow torn his toe in OT boots when the slider`s pipe broke...
i never had a problem with a sand in my boots
i rode in Mui Ne Vietnam much - there is a lot of sand in a breaking waves - when you gets washed up the sand is everywhere
the most annoying thing is a sand in the upper of a boot - as it happend i just stoped and let water rinse it into the boot, after that - the sand was washed off the inner boot in someway
love my 2013 SS RADS! - its also very comfy!
sorry for my english
Last edited by zloilyoha on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirkGently
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby DirkGently » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 am

I've had my foot shoot through the toe and end up with the fat part of my ankle clogging the point where the roots of my toes were supposed to be. Both with Unions back in the day, and last winter I put both feet to the ankles through the front after I miscalculated how much downloop I needed, cased the back of a wave from 12-15 feet up. That was interesting because I HAD to fix it out in the water in order to ride back in.

tl,dr : ot = never again.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm

interesting commentary in this one.

i prefer closed toe. LF Shane Pro Ltd, and LF Watson are my two most recent.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey guys, I'm in looove with my Ronix Kai, the only defect I see with these, are the laces (for me), they're kind of annoying to tighten, I guess I don't have the process dialed in yet, but before I used to have my tona, I was renting a wakeboard at the cable, and they had LF with velcro, and seemed much easier to tighten.

So I was thinking is there another baseless system out there that uses velcro instead, like the LF kind does, same stiffness as my Kai's?

Tnx.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 pm

pixelpedro wrote:Hey guys, I'm in looove with my Ronix Kai, the only defect I see with these, are the laces (for me), they're kind of annoying to tighten, I guess I don't have the process dialed in yet, but before I used to have my tona, I was renting a wakeboard at the cable, and they had LF with velcro, and seemed much easier to tighten.

So I was thinking is there another baseless system out there that uses velcro instead, like the LF kind does, same stiffness as my Kai's?

Tnx.
I have the SS Shredtowns but they have a tendency to loosen up or the straps come completely undone from water spray. I love them at the cable but kind of a pain on the kite.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:10 pm

pixelpedro wrote:Hey guys, I'm in looove with my Ronix Kai, the only defect I see with these, are the laces (for me), they're kind of annoying to tighten, I guess I don't have the process dialed in yet, but before I used to have my tona, I was renting a wakeboard at the cable, and they had LF with velcro, and seemed much easier to tighten.

Tnx.
The LF cradles are pretty stiff and run 3 straps per boot, only have to undo the top 2 to get your feet in.

I have to tighten mine a lot since I'm at the bottom end of the sizing, so the straps overhang the tiniest bit, and like the guy above said, yeah they can come undone if you hit a wave just right, or take a landing at just the right angle. It's never a big deal though, since you can slap it back down with one hand, and it is pretty rare.

Return to “Kitesurfing”