Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Quiver changes - still a beginner

Postby Netdewt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 pm

I don't have a ton of free time to dedicate to this sport, so I have been progressing slowly. I have 2 winters in (snowkiting), 1 summer, and just got back from South Padre. I just learned water starts on the trip, and hopefully I'll figure out upwind on the water quickly this summer.

I had an equipment malfunction in SPI whereby I lost my kite. It was retrieved, thankfully, by a very talented kiter in our group. Somehow my leash became detached a minute before ejecting to walk in (did this many times last week). I've lost some confidence in the PULL-to-eject system on the older kites because of this, and I'm thinking of switching to something newer. Perhaps I could trade in the 7 and 11 I have for a Slingshot Z or used Rally 10M.

2007 T2 7M
- above the bar leash clip (hate this)
- fun to fly, but it has really only been useful for me in the snow while learning

2007 T2 11M
- I have been using the T3 14M bar/lines with this one
- flew in 25 mph winds last week with a lot of depower
- easily my favorite kite

2008 T3 14M
- best bar I have
- I hate flying this thing because whenever the wind is light enough to fly, I have a hard time keeping it where I want it

Thoughts?

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Re: Quiver changes - still a beginner

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Hello Netdewt, try to get some newer gear 2010 or 2011 so you don't have to spend too much money on. The 2012 and 2013 will be a good idea but will be more expensive. So since you are still a beginner my suggestion will be to get a low aspect ratio kite. You have lots of good kites in the market but again the best thing for you will be to demo them in order to see which one you like the best.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Welcome to the Forum. There are so many good kites on the market. Do some research, ask some questions. The best deal in kitesurfing is out there, you will find it!
:thumb:

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 am

Welcome to the forum.

I think Dimitri's input is pretty much spot on.
The only thing I would add is potentially taking another day of boat assisted lessons.

Cheers,
Todd

Netdewt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Malmo, Mille Lacs

Postby Netdewt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:08 am

Thanks for the ideas.

Yes, not looking to break the bank on new kites. I just want to be as safe as I can. The T2 system is just feeling really dated after seeing everyone else's gear in South Padre.

I definitely will consider more lessons. And I'll definitely be giving myself plenty of space until I figure out upwind (much harder then I thought, even as a lifelong skier and waterskier). I also never go out alone.

Do you think I can get away with a 2 kite quiver? Here the wind does not get to the point of needing a 7M really, and on the other hand I hate flying my 14M. I have only used the 7M in the winter as I have been learning. I have only flown the 14M in wind below 15mph, and I can barely keep it in the air. What sizes do you recommend? I weigh 160lb and my current board is a Slingshot Ignition 140. No lightwind board but I have been considering a Litewave Wing, or a homemade door.

Is the Rally a low aspect ratio? There are a lot of people who fly those here.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm

I think that lessons will really help. The beauty about boat assisted lessons is that you will get the instant feedback and corrections.
Two tips that worked for me were:
1)Try to ride with one hand on your bar and with your leading hand point where you'd like to go. This will cause your hips to open up and point your body upwind.
2) Stop looking at the kite. If you are looking at the kite, you are looking downwind and that's where you will go.

I really think that if you try most of the "freeride" kites available today that were made in the past 3 years you will find that even a 14m can be a lot of fun compared to what you're used to.

Kites to consider:
Ocean Rodeo Prodigy
Slingshot Z
Epic Renegade
Liquid Force Envy
Wainman Rabbit Series
-many more

A 9.5m and 12m kite would likely be cover you most days, especially if you make yourself a homemade door (use Baltic birch).

Netdewt
Rare Poster

Postby Netdewt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:11 pm

whabbits wrote: Kites to consider:
Ocean Rodeo Prodigy
Slingshot Z
Epic Renegade
Liquid Force Envy
Wainman Rabbit Series
-many more

A 9.5m and 12m kite would likely be cover you most days, especially if you make yourself a homemade door (use Baltic birch).
Anything from North, Naish, Best, Cabrinha to consider? Most kites I have noticed around here on the lakes are Slingshot, Best, and Cabrinha.

I was considering swapping my whole quiver for a 9 and a 13 Slingshot Z. They are a great deal brand new right now and the reviews are somewhat mixed but generally really good.

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:51 pm

I have a two kite quiver... 9m and 12m Bandit 6. I use a a Monk TT, a custom door, and a strapless surfboard. This will get me going in pretty much everything in my area. I second getting the final lessons. One good word of advice i was given when i started was that you have to go downwind to go upwind. Get some board speed downwind before you start edging upwind. Good luck...

DD

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:13 pm

Netdewt wrote:Thanks for the ideas.

Yes, not looking to break the bank on new kites. I just want to be as safe as I can. The T2 system is just feeling really dated after seeing everyone else's gear in South Padre.

I definitely will consider more lessons. And I'll definitely be giving myself plenty of space until I figure out upwind (much harder then I thought, even as a lifelong skier and waterskier). I also never go out alone.

Do you think I can get away with a 2 kite quiver? Here the wind does not get to the point of needing a 7M really, and on the other hand I hate flying my 14M. I have only used the 7M in the winter as I have been learning. I have only flown the 14M in wind below 15mph, and I can barely keep it in the air. What sizes do you recommend? I weigh 160lb and my current board is a Slingshot Ignition 140. No lightwind board but I have been considering a Litewave Wing, or a homemade door.

Is the Rally a low aspect ratio? There are a lot of people who fly those here.
Don't worry about aspect ratio and all that yet, it matters but you probably won't feel the difference until you're more experienced. That said, lower aspect kites are generally more stable and easier to fly. Just judging by the way it looks, rally appears to be about medium or medium-low aspect

You can absolutely get by with a two kite quiver, it just depends on how much they overlap and what your wind conditions are like. I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a 7m, but every year I only find myself saying "wow, I wish I was on a 7" less than 5 times. 90%+ of the time I'm on my 12 - for south florida, a 12/9 is all you really need. It's not really even worth having a door type board here in my opinion

depending on your wind you might be fine on a 7 and 10m, or 12 and 9, or 15/11...

Netdewt
Rare Poster

Postby Netdewt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:20 am

dyyylan wrote:depending on your wind you might be fine on a 7 and 10m, or 12 and 9, or 15/11...
Really considering trading my whole quiver for a 9 and 13 Slingshot Z set... and building a door soon.

Return to “Kitesurfing”