undergound flx 132
slingshot glide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

advice on OR mako size

Postby mediocre man » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Hello kiteforum,

I am after some advice on the right sized OR mako for my needs. I weigh about 80kg and am an experienced kiter, I ride mainly in small to medium wave locations, average winds are 15-20 knots. I have a light wind TT and a stonger wind TT so am looking for a board to fill the sweet spot in between. I am really only interested in riding waves, hard carving and boosting. I don’t really get into much freestyle stuff, just the occasional back/front loops, dark slides ect.

From the limited online research I have done I am leaning towards the mako 150. There is no possibilty of demos where I live and I don’t know anybody with a mako.

So the question is what is the right size for me, and is the mako the right board for my needs.

Thanks in advance for your input

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: advice on OR mako size

Postby davesails7 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:05 pm

I weigh about 75 kg and I have been using the Mako 140 as my go to board for 13-35 knots since I got it in 2009.

I had the Mako king for a few years as my lightwind board, but have moved on to raceboards and directionals for lightwind riding, so I sold the king.

I haven't tried the 150, but can highly recommend the 140 for the riding you describe.

Rido
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Rido » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:07 pm

mediocre man wrote:Hello kiteforum,

I am after some advice on the right sized OR mako for my needs. I weigh about 80kg and am an experienced kiter, I ride mainly in small to medium wave locations, average winds are 15-20 knots. I have a light wind TT and a stonger wind TT so am looking for a board to fill the sweet spot in between. I am really only interested in riding waves, hard carving and boosting. I don’t really get into much freestyle stuff, just the occasional back/front loops, dark slides ect.

From the limited online research I have done I am leaning towards the mako 150. There is no possibilty of demos where I live and I don’t know anybody with a mako.

So the question is what is the right size for me, and is the mako the right board for my needs.

I am a beginner, but I have spent hours looking at this board online. People say there is very little difference between the 140 and the 150, even in light wind.

They said carving is easier with the 150 in light wind.

That is just what I have read so far, so I am just spitting out what people have said rather than my own experience(which is of no value). I will be watching this thread for more updates to educate myself.
EDIT: Every place that people have read said they prefer the 140 over the 150.
Edit #2: I just ordered the 140 about 10 minutes ago as my first board

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 pm

mediocre man wrote:Hello kiteforum,

I have had them all, right now I have the classic 150, the wide 150 and the mini 35x130
I weight about the same, if you are in waves you want the 150 wide.. it'll give you that extra bit of speed and float it takes to get on the wave.

backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best

Postby backcountry » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:26 pm

I would go with the 150. At your weight better board for different conditions.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:17 am

The 140 is more nimble obviously, really good for more aggressive riding in higher winds.

150 is smoother, rides bacwards better with the mutants in, carves better. Depends.

If I had say two boards it might be a 140, with a lighter wind board.

Me I run a light wind TT, the mako for carving then a Laluz for more squre tipped flat water shannigans. Works really well in that quiver.

Got some strapless SB's to but thats just for fits and giggle when we get some decent waves...

ps They go upwind better than you think, especially on a higher aspect kite. My brother used to break some serious barriers on his 140 and 11m edge at 85 kg. Pissed me off actually! LOL.

They take a little time to dial in, very different feel. Once you do they really are worth having in your quiver of boards. Love it for what it is good at...carving.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:41 am

I've only used the 140 and the king. To me the king is just too big and the 140 is the perfect fit. Carves supper nice in the waves, boosts great without being heavy on your feet, and does ok at pop tricks. I use the 140 in all conditions here on Maui.

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:42 am

One plus of the Mako is that you can ride it for hours and hours. With all that rocker, you can spread your weight fairly evenly when riding, reducing fatigue. +1 for the 150 wide.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:28 am

I started with a 140 , then got a King, then sold both and got a 150... I'd agree the 150 is the best size for you too. 1 thing I did notice was that my 140, which was a foam core, felt much lighter
under foot than my 150 which is a newer wood core board ......... is it just me or does 10cm make that much difference....?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:18 am

windybrit wrote:I started with a 140 , then got a King, then sold both and got a 150... I'd agree the 150 is the best size for you too. 1 thing I did notice was that my 140, which was a foam core, felt much lighter
under foot than my 150 which is a newer wood core board ......... is it just me or does 10cm make that much difference....?

Followed the same path, exactly.

Foam core on all the boards was lighter.than the new wood cores. Weight not a problem for me when you use the mako for its itnended purpose...to carve, to have speed through turns you lose on TT's. To be able to ride it more upright with frnt foot pressure in the surf. It's a niche board, not a true TT and not a SB, just where I want it, in the middle leaning to the TT side.

Return to “Kitesurfing”