Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Checking the weather in OBX (NC-USA)

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Checking the weather in OBX (NC-USA)

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 am

I know its hard to guess but what do you anticipate the water temperature being in about 3 weeks? I know typically by the end of May it is around 70 degrees but we had a late winter and cold spring. I'm planning a trip for a week around May 10-17 and i need to know what suits to bring. Thanks for any info.
PS.. Ocean temps
Hello Ecoastprock. This year has been a very long winter. Five days ago it was so warm with 75 degrees air temperature, the sound was around 70 degrees. And the ocean was 58 degrees. Right now the sound is 55 degrees and the ocean is 54 degrees and the air temperature is 52 degrees. Today I was using a full 4/3 wet suit. But I am sure that in 10 days it will go back to normal. Which means you won't need a suit. Maybe bring a shorty 3/2 if you plan to kite in the ocean down south. This was today and yesterday in Avon and at the Light House. Very cold for end of April.
Attachments
DSC_0106.jpg
DSC_0157 2.jpg
DSC_0262 1.jpg
DSC_0145 - Version 2 3.jpg
Dimitri having fun.jpg

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Hey Dimitri/anyone, historically whats the best time to go up during summer, been checking out a few weather sites, but they all show it to suck in the summer, but I hear otherwise. I mean obviously I'm not gona hold anyone to it, but just to get a rough idea on booking, etc...

Tnx in advance.

Chungmu
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chungmu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 am

pixelpedro wrote:Hey Dimitri/anyone, historically whats the best time to go up during summer, been checking out a few weather sites, but they all show it to suck in the summer, but I hear otherwise. I mean obviously I'm not gona hold anyone to it, but just to get a rough idea on booking, etc...

Tnx in advance.
Out of the three months (June, July & August) I would say August has the least amount of wind, followed by July. Some summers July and June are great because of the SW thermals. If you can make May I would do that. Otherwise if I had to pick between June, July & August I would probably come in June.

Bottom line you will probably get some wind no matter when you come unless you have my luck for kite trips. :(

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:46 am

Chungmu wrote:
pixelpedro wrote:Hey Dimitri/anyone, historically whats the best time to go up during summer, been checking out a few weather sites, but they all show it to suck in the summer, but I hear otherwise. I mean obviously I'm not gona hold anyone to it, but just to get a rough idea on booking, etc...

Tnx in advance.
Out of the three months (June, July & August) I would say August has the least amount of wind, followed by July. Some summers July and June are great because of the SW thermals. If you can make May I would do that. Otherwise if I had to pick between June, July & August I would probably come in June.

Bottom line you will probably get some wind no matter when you come unless you have my luck for kite trips. :(
Thanks for the yeah I can't make May, so late june, anytime july, and anytime Aug are my choices, I guess june (1st choice) July (2nd), Aug (3rd)

Tnx again. And hope to have better luck than you on this particular trip. ;) tnx again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”