All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kite gear voting and independent rating
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

I don't think there is unfortunately, these things are always open to manipulation and abuse. Best thing is to try as much stuff as possible IMO.

Good luck if you go for it though, I'll watch it with interest.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 pm 
Frequent Poster

With e-voting you need to find balance between
1) minimal effort required to vote
2) credibility of results

If you give right to vote people without FB account, you will have lots of noise in results. If you ask people to prove themselves real, you have to make them do something (having FB account for example). Its like

More effort to vote → Less voters, but better results
Less effort to vote → More voters, more noise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 pm 
Frequent Poster

Go with it, lets see what happens

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:17 pm 
Frequent Poster

BigPaul, yep! Just want to gather some feedback first, how to make it proper way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 pm 
Medium Poster

It's an interesting idea, but I think you're trying to quantify what are qualitative assessments. One person's impression of what is 'good' for wakestyle might be completely different than another's. For example, a lighter rider might prefer a more flexible board where a heavier rider may prefer something stiffer, or vice versa.

It all comes down to personal preference, and I'm unsure of the utility of rankings even within specific categories (unless you get *very* specific--which creates its own challenges). Just because a certain board is found to be 'best' for a certain discipline doesn't mean it will be right for my application. The number one ranked freeride board might suck for me because my spots have tons of chop.

Further, what happens when you try a new piece of equipment and it is your new favourite? Has your old favourite gotten any worse? Of course not; but maybe your preferences have changed, or maybe the new item is simply better for your particular needs.

All the negativity aside, I *do* see the utility in something like an OkCupid for gear. You fill your profile with your personal info (weight, height) and the types of conditions you ride in (different sets for different locations). You then provide ratings on how your gear performs in those conditions. So when it comes time for an upgrade, you could find what works best for other people of your size in similar conditions. This is of course orders of magnitude more complicated than what you initially suggested and would require a critical mass of dedicated people to make it useful.

Imagine all the cool data you could derive though! Stuff like, "People around the great lakes like kites with a lot of depower for their gusty frontal winds." or "Heavy dudes in Hood River prefer directionals with a lot of rocker."

Hopefully that contributes something to the discussion. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

For over a decade I have run a alpine snowboard website that we just closed down. In the past we tried to establish a "review and compare section". There was only one real problem and that was the reviewers level of comparison.

Most of the time someone would comment how amazing their gear is for them but had not ridden more then one or maybe two comparable products. So they would say. "my super awesome thingy is the best, cuz it makes me happy and works at my spot" which is great but not everyone uses their spot and has their needs.

I would imagine the same would hold true with kite gear. My wind is different then your, my chop or wave is different, etc.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

It will be like in the mags:

Sponsored riders give 5 stars.
Few normal riders honestly rate it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Wasn't this how Facebook started? A rating system for hot college chicks?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

JamesVegas wrote:
I don't think there is unfortunately, these things are always open to manipulation and abuse. Best thing is to try as much stuff as possible IMO.

Good luck if you go for it though, I'll watch it with interest.

I agree. There are more ways to check, but effort it takes to implement is not worth it....and people really do not have enough motivation to go through those hoops...but simple things like IP checking, and email address.

Dandaka: I have multiple FB accounts (for app development). I would not bother to vote many times of course, but you're not safe from that as problem if someone feels they gain from it (see people on KF posting with multiple accounts).

I think Billy B. Is hitting the nail on the head...and it was mentioned earlier in the thread...riding a kite for 30 mins does not really give you a perfect way to compare...people will pick the kite they are used to riding..also because they have not ridden other brands....so brands that have a huge online presence will lead that popularity contest.

This is why I think writeups are good. I think the magazines does a decent job. You know that they really cater to their sponsors, but that is fine.

I am not trying to dissuade you from doing this, I would be very interested in seeing your implementation. I think the method you picked is interesting, but you have to agree that unless you create a model where the outset is even for participants..ie that people who rank gear have actually ridden it. It would make the process more complex, but doable..so that would mean riders have to pick what gear they have ridden for each of the dimensions you are interested in looking at (wave. tt, flat, tricks etc etc.), then for each of these dimensions rank order the kites).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:42 am 
Medium Poster

When looking for new gear i believe only my friends and my own opinion after testing.
No mag review, kite video, or world champ will make me buy a kite... But they will make me test one.

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next