Forum for kitesurfers
Fry
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Reasons For A Bigger C.L.?

Postby Fry » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:21 pm

I was thinking about ordering a bigger chickenloop been getting into freestyle, wave kickers a lot more so I was wondering are bigger CL just to make it easier to hook back in? Aside from that what are the reasons I see a lot of riders these days with them?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: Reasons For A Bigger C.L.?

Postby dyyylan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:29 pm

I guess it's a little easier to hook back in, but I've never had an issue with that when I rode with a smaller chicken loop. The main thing I notice is that it puts everything a little bit farther away from your body, so you might end up depowering more and riding with straight arms, so when you go to unhook you're already trimmed perfectly. And since it's a bit farther away, you can get a little extra leverage to unhook easier, rather than having to bring your arms in close which can be awkward depending on how close it comes.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:26 am

Dyyylan is spot on. It has to do with riding so you don't have to trim everytime you go to unhook. This is a problem for much taller guys.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:13 am

smooth unhooking and hooking back is one reason.

i think the other, more important reason is to tune your bar to your arm length and gear setup etc for easier sheeting (in and especially out). a short loop brings the bar in closer to your body, which is nice for short arm reach people (ladies, kids, fat guys wearing waist harnesses, etc.) for easier sheeting out. long loop puts the bar out further, easier to sheet in properly for people with longer arms, seat harness people, etc.

other things to consider along the same lines: how long is the harness hook: for example dakine long, mystic shorter. how long the primary release system on the bar is (the total length of the loop and release)

it doesnt have anything to do with trimming the kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”