Any use this to carry surfboards??

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Any use this to carry surfboards??

Postby shawn13 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:33 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has used this type of clamp snowboard rack to carry a surfboard? I'm looking for a rack for an airush sector, and i like the fact that this is secure and locks.

I've seen twintips in these but not a surfboard. Can anyone advise?

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Any use this to carry surfboards??

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:02 pm

I doubt those racks are designed to carry something as thick and fragile as a surfboard. If you take two pairs of skis or two snowboards and lay one(set base facing up) and one(set) base facing down so that the two are back to back on each other, you would find the arms of the rack much tighter and slightly stressed out trying to close down to be locked. I wouldn't try it with a surfboard. That would be like 4-5 or more snowboard decks back to back but instead with something that is not as solid. Just my two cents though.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Agree with obit.

They have regual tie downs straps with locks...not that expensive either...

SO_FL_Kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL; Juno Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Kitebeach, Biscayne Bay
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 15M LF Envy, 12M North Rebel, 11M SS Rev2, 10M North Rhino, 9M LF Session, Airush Sector, Naish Custom Global 6'2", Liquid Force 5'7" FCD, Cabrinha Custom 136, Crazyfly Raptor 132

Postby SO_FL_Kiter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:19 pm

I have a sector as well, and no way is the thickest part of that board going to fit in that rack. The only "give" is via the compression of the foam on the top and bottom bar.

Maybe something like the Gatekeeper below. You have a single locking mechanism mounted on the rear crossbar that is designed to be snugged up against the rails just forward of the rear fins and then locked in place. Then, there is no way to push it forward (due to the fins) or pull it backwards (due to increasing board width around the middle section). You only need one of these, and then you just use a standard pad/strap for the nose on your front rail.

I'm assuming you have a 60 cm wide sector; the max width that this system accommodates is 64.77 cm, so it will handle the board.

http://www.dabco-products.com/index.php ... nt=37&pg=1

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:05 pm

The Thule SUP Taxi is great for big boards, it has an adjustable cradle and a locking strap.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:24 am

These straps work fine. http://kanulock.com/

I've used them on several road trips, with the boards living on the roof of the car for a couple of weeks, parked outside dodgy motels and camping grounds.

Most thieves are opportunists. They take stuff because it is easy to take. One good tug on a locking strap and they will get bored and move on to something easier to steal and easier to sell.

My only concern is a pissed off thief vandalising the board. For day to day use I keep my boards inside the car. The Sector 60 fits in fine diagonally in the back seat with a short surfboard and/or a TT on the top. I throw a piece of black fabric over the boards so they can't be seen through the tinted windows and in the dim light of the car park at work.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:27 pm

I have the Sector 54 so its not as wide.

Thanks guys I am going to look into some of these options. The locking parts are key to what a need! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”