Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what kite has low bar pressure with power?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: what kite has low bar pressure with power?

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu May 02, 2013 10:34 pm

flybykite wrote:The 2013 ozone edges have low pressure but still just enough to feel connected to the kite. Its adjustable as well.
+1

Actually the Edge can be adjusted to feel like there is next to no bar pressure. The Cabrinha Velocity also has very low bar pressure as well.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ed257 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:21 am

bpchilds wrote:Thank you all for your input.

I will definitely be trying before buying.

Did anyone else get an elbow injury from kiting? Will it ever go away?

Thanx
B
I got the elbow tendonitis from kiting, tennis and weight training. I found four things that resolved it:

1. I did the wrist roller exercises (see video links someone added to this thread)
2. I changed kite to GK Sonic (super light bar pressure, too little actually)
3. I rig for enough power so I don't have to sine a lot
4. I set up my bar with a moveable stopper and ride against the stopper most of the time.

It actually cleared up mostly in two weeks, but completely in about 5 weeks.

Ed

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri May 03, 2013 5:46 am

I ride my edge on the second setting at the kite, because the light bar pressure setting is too light. Very very light bar pressure. Can't feel the kite enough during transitions with kite loops and the such. Even on the second setting it is damn light. Again work out what riding style you are after then find the correct aspect to suite. Then look at the varying bar pressures through demos in that category. Also apply the other biomechanical preventative measures offered.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Fri May 03, 2013 11:20 am

knotmyfault wrote:Bandit 6 ? Very unstable 3 struts kite, jelly fish a lot in gusty wind .. And the bar pressure is not on the light side at all, more on medium/light pressure.
The velcro-style quick release is not reliable and can only be operated from one side, outdated system.
Ozone Edge is unbeatable regarding light bar pressure and power on demand!
Nope b6 is light, beside the edge and the flysurfer speed 3, i found that they are pretty much the lowest bar pressure kite out there. If your b6 was jellyfishing it is becaused you didn't pump it hard enough. Maybe not as stable in the gust as a switchblade but it beats a lot of kite out there. We get to ride gusty uneven north wind often and the b6 is handling the gust very good. Depower throw being short, you can kill really fast those big gust. Did try the edge a couple of time and it really is a good kite but damn it is slow turning. Depends on what you look for. Edge is a race kite as opposed to the b6 which is a lot more freestyle or wave. As for the qr you are perfectly right i aint crazy about that archaic system.

dawind
Rare Poster
Gear: Zian Aquila 10m, 12m, 14m
Crazyfly 127cm, 136cm

Postby dawind » Sat May 04, 2013 7:40 pm

The latest F-One Bandit has what your looking for, comfortable. Also the 2013 Zian Aquila has both very low bar pressure and powerful for its size.

Hunqi
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone

Postby Hunqi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Westozzy wrote:I ride my edge on the second setting at the kite, because the light bar pressure setting is too light. Very very light bar pressure. Can't feel the kite enough during transitions with kite loops and the such. Even on the second setting it is damn light. Again work out what riding style you are after then find the correct aspect to suite. Then look at the varying bar pressures through demos in that category. Also apply the other biomechanical preventative measures offered.
Finally, somebody is really flying a kite and having a real experience with it :surf: :yourock:
But some biassed or pimps are in an illusion the Strutless kites are having less bar pressure VS Ozone Edge :nono: :nono: :nono:

:desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :jap: :jap: :jap: :happybirthday: :happybirthday:

H

hmattar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE

Postby hmattar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:15 pm

I had cabrinhas before so I know your pain. Had switchblades from 2009 and 2010 and crossbow lw from 2012.

If you really want power, you can either get a race kite with low bar pressure(I own an airush vxr and it's very very very light bar pressure), you can try demo that.
If you want a kite with low bar pressure but with a more freeride feel, try a rebel(owned one) or a fuse(currently my main kite) from north.
Both kites have very low bar pressure and amazing power.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:44 am

Bille wrote:
bpchilds wrote:Hello,

I have recently developed some elbow problems and it might be from my older kites that have heavy bar pressure and it is straining my tendons/ligaments when steering the kite.

I am an advanced rider and will use the kite mainly for freeriding.

Thank you all for your help,
B
The "Real" problem isn't the bar-pressure ; i believe it could be the Angle that
we hold the bar with our hands ?

While sitting at your monitor reading this , try holding your hands like you have
a bar in your hands ; move the make-believe bar in and out and turn it simultaneously.
I can actually Feel the elbow-tendons moving !

NOW -- rotate your hands 90-deg so your palms are facing each other and repeat the
same as above ; that change in angle makes the pressure in my elbow completely go
away .

I first noticed this while kiting in my Buggy ; i had my 10M PL Venom up on
a bar & the wind picked up. I put the PL away and grabbed a 4-line, 2.5M on handles
and noticed it was Way easier on my elbows, to control the kite.

I'm MOD-ing an old bar i have so it has webbing-loops that are below the bar.
This will allow me to control the kite like normal with the bar
OR
grab the loops & control the kite like i do a PG, (with the loop-handles).

I May need to lock the bar full UP so it don't interfere with the controls ?

Bille
Agree completely. I'm now using a Blade Unibar and the slight bend of the bar seems to help by reducing the wrist angle when doing hard turns or looping the kite.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:59 am

ozonelevel wrote:
Bille wrote:
bpchilds wrote:Hello,

I have recently developed some elbow problems and it might be from my older kites that have heavy bar pressure and it is straining my tendons/ligaments when steering the kite.

I am an advanced rider and will use the kite mainly for freeriding.

Thank you all for your help,
B
The "Real" problem isn't the bar-pressure ; i believe it could be the Angle that
we hold the bar with our hands ?

While sitting at your monitor reading this , try holding your hands like you have
a bar in your hands ; move the make-believe bar in and out and turn it simultaneously.
I can actually Feel the elbow-tendons moving !

NOW -- rotate your hands 90-deg so your palms are facing each other and repeat the
same as above ; that change in angle makes the pressure in my elbow completely go
away .

I first noticed this while kiting in my Buggy ; i had my 10M PL Venom up on
a bar & the wind picked up. I put the PL away and grabbed a 4-line, 2.5M on handles
and noticed it was Way easier on my elbows, to control the kite.

I'm MOD-ing an old bar i have so it has webbing-loops that are below the bar.
This will allow me to control the kite like normal with the bar
OR
grab the loops & control the kite like i do a PG, (with the loop-handles).

I May need to lock the bar full UP so it don't interfere with the controls ?

Bille
Agree completely. I'm now using a Blade Unibar and the slight bend of the bar seems to help by reducing the wrist angle when doing hard turns or looping the kite.

HEY YA RIGHT JUST TRIED IT. :thumb:

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:33 pm

I agree in saying its not the pressure of the bar, its the angle of elbows.

I had ozone c4s, which have very, very light bar pressure. But this is a dynamic kite that needs to actively ridden, so I was continuously sinning and throwing the kite around. Additionally, because the c4s are a c kite you need to have the bar almost totally in all the time causing your elbows to be bent all the time. This combination made for some painful tennis elbow.

I changed my kites to lithiums last year, which I would say have a lot of bar pressure, and funny enough my tennis elbow cleared up in a couple of weeks! So whats going on here. Well I believe because the Lithiums are deltas, they have a lot of static grunt, so you do not need to move the kite very much to get going. Also I find the my arms are almost out all the way (no bent elbows). These are really the solutions to the pain.

One other theory I have is a kite with light bar pressure will pull hard off the front lines which means that more pressure is being put on you back, which can cause worse problems.

Anyways I changed to lithiums more for the easy jumping, my tennis elbow clearing up was just a nice surprise.

The Bandits would be similar to the lithiums, because they are deltas, and I have heard they have lighter bar pressure so this might be a very good choice. BTW I've never seen one jelly fish, they look solid.

Return to “Kitesurfing”