All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: PFD required in FLA?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:43 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Mystic, NP Surf.
I have a friend and customer going to Florida soon and he's having a hard time on local forums finding out if there are any PFD laws enacted now in Florida.

Thanks for any info.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: PFD required in FLA?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Bob, there shouldn't be any problem finding out if a law has been enacted as it is on the books. The form and degree of enforcement is not known at this point however.

More at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=12224

I wear a NP High Hook Harness (not USCG certified), have done for years. It is well suited to the restrictions and demands of kiting in my experience unlike a lot of USCG approved PFDs. I will see how I fair with that if and when I have an encounter with the authorities.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:43 pm 
Rare Poster

The way I read the law, PDF is not required in surf zone but would be needed for inland waters or away from the coast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

We are all waiting to see how and with what degree of zeal the FWC and partner agencies (everyone else who has arrest powers and issues tickets at and below state government), try to enforce the new regulations. It is unknown at this point.

Some have suggested, with good reason, to not attempt to do government's job for it (by talking about it on forums at length) but to allow the agencies to try to work through this as they may. It could be a daunting and unclear task. There are some serious problems with the regulations at this point a key one being the lack of a clear understanding of what suitable non-inflatable USCG certified PFDs are available for the demands of kitesurfing.

I don't know myself and have been recommending suitable flotation use for kiting on here and elsewhere for almost 15 years. That is a serious problem as the wrong PFD (bulky, confining Type I, II and III devices as well as the neck collar on Type I devices), might actually do harm in some scenarios. I do know some CE certified products like the High Hook harness but none at this time with the more costly, time consuming and in some ways arbitrary USCG stamp of approval (e.g. exact color match).

One thing to avoid for sure, is to poke a stick at law enforcement by foolishly riding in out of bounds swim zones, wildlife areas, promoting needless rescues and other wise putting ourselves on the "scope." They definitely have much larger and important problems to deal with than kiteboarders. With luck they may focus limited resources on those more needful problems. Fingers crossed for now.

[ 4 posts ]