Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Wave kite size recommendation

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 am

I’m not a huge wave rider...yet. I usually ride C kites but want to add 1 wave kite to my quiver for next season, riding waves in 15-25 knots primarily. What size would you recommend for a one kite wave quiver.

Thanks!

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wave kite size recommendation

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:43 am

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 am
I’m not a huge wave rider...yet. I usually ride C kites but want to add 1 wave kite to my quiver....
Most riders that still ride C's, like them on waves.

Are you going for strapless where you need a more tame kite? Or do you just want to get out of C kites?
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Kitemanmuc (Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:00 am

at 150 lbs for onshore strapless riding id take a 10m for that wind range, though I'd be on a 12m up to about 18 knots or so. 10m from 18-23/24ish, 7m for 24+

and yea c kites will work fine to try it out and maybe longer depending on your style/conditions. the main problem with a c kite in the waves, strapless, is that they have so much power in the turns that they can pull you off the wave or pull you off your board depending on powered you are and the wave/wind direction. i rode waves a bit with fuels and it was fine, though i definitely prefer lightweight sle's

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:06 am

At 180 lbs I would take a 9m for 15 - 25 knots. Ideally an 11m for 14 - 18, an 9m for 18 - 23 & a 7m for 24+. It does depend partly on the power of the particular wave kite though.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:07 am

dylan* wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:00 am
at 150 lbs for onshore strapless riding id take a 10m for that wind range, though I'd be on a 12m up to about 18 knots or so. 10m from 18-23/24ish, 7m for 24+

and yea c kites will work fine to try it out and maybe longer depending on your style/conditions. the main problem with a c kite in the waves, strapless, is that they have so much power in the turns that they can pull you off the wave or pull you off your board depending on powered you are and the wave/wind direction. i rode waves a bit with fuels and it was fine, though i definitely prefer lightweight sle's
Honestly, i didn’t know that the c kite/hybrid c would behave that well. Maybe i should just give it a try.
I write strapped directional anyways so no fear of getting yanked off the board. I just heard that sometimes when the kite slacks as a c will do, you can’t turn the kite when you need to.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:04 am

totally brand dependent IMO.
if you come from C kites, try the Bandit.
If I had to take one kite for 15-25 knots on a strapless surfboard, it would be a 9m.
(80kg)

cheers

Al101
Rare Poster
Gear: no gear
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Al101 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm

depends on skill, weight, board, some say brand,
there is big difference between 12, 10, 9 m2 kites in therms of speed, agility, weight of kite , which is, for me, important for waves.
im 85kg, quite big board, strapless, and would go for 9 (now i have 10..)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 pm

If you already have kites and are buying a pure wave kite.... don't get anything bigger than a 9. Use whatever you've got when its light and use a 7,8,or 9 wave kite once it gets good. Bigger than a 9m and your not really into wave riding territory. Still kiting, still fun, but any kite will do.

C kites can be super fun in waves, but again, smaller sizes for actual wave riding. Pure surf kite your going to gain, light feel, quicker response, control even when sheeted out, less power while turning, more downwind drift and loads of depower. All great in wavy conditions. If your going to get a pure wave kite, you owe it to yourself to get one in a size that will really shine.

Size depends a bit on your weight, and if you like to ride powered on a small board, or ride a bigger board with less kite. For most people 9m is a great size for the best power to agility trade off.

Either way, IMHO waves kites don't really start until you get down to 9m.

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:46 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 pm
If you already have kites and are buying a pure wave kite.... don't get anything bigger than a 9. Use whatever you've got when its light and use a 7,8,or 9 wave kite once it gets good. Bigger than a 9m and your not really into wave riding territory. Still kiting, still fun, but any kite will do.

C kites can be super fun in waves, but again, smaller sizes for actual wave riding. Pure surf kite your going to gain, light feel, quicker response, control even when sheeted out, less power while turning, more downwind drift and loads of depower. All great in wavy conditions. If your going to get a pure wave kite, you owe it to yourself to get one in a size that will really shine.

Size depends a bit on your weight, and if you like to ride powered on a small board, or ride a bigger board with less kite. For most people 9m is a great size for the best power to agility trade off.

Either way, IMHO waves kites don't really start until you get down to 9m.
I understand what you are saying about the size of 9m or smaller for a wave kite. But is it not a bit too cathegoric to say "....bigger than a 9m.....not really into wave riding...". I have seen very good wave riding with bigger kites. Of course we all prefer small.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:16 pm

If you get what Im saying I guess it isn't.

If he gets a 9m wave kite, he truly has something that will shine when the conditions line up.

From the OP he's looking for how a wave kite is going to contrast what he has. I think he's better off with a kite sized to impress.

Return to “Kitesurfing”