Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where is the best place to spot my gopro??

Forum for kitesurfers
DuoiQueen
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Where is the best place to spot my gopro??

Postby DuoiQueen » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 am

On the board\on the helmet\on the lines\
if on the board so where on the board?

Thanks

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: Where is the best place to spot my gopro??

Postby Hawaiis » Thu May 02, 2013 8:41 am

I put mine on the helmet, so I can turn it on and off easily.
Here is a video https://vimeo.com/m/64480604

RedStar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oulu
Has thanked: 0

Postby RedStar » Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 am

Use many places as possible. This way you get some nice look for the video. Having just one view is boring

katana_z
Rare Poster

Postby katana_z » Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 pm

For me ...... one on d line and one on helmet... :) So u can hv both angle...

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu May 02, 2013 4:01 pm

I like video shot from the 3rd person or "backy" mounts. I'm making one to use this year for my GoPro. Hopefully it's not a POS I waste $90 on.....
I've been using the Go Pro "Chesty" mount for a few years. It's ok...........but the constant view of the chicken loop in frame is annoying. The plus side is you don't even know you're riding with it. Very comfortable. It's a great option for getting footage of OTHER riders too.

Not a fan of the fin mount footage at all. Everything I've seen is just spray, violent movement and maybe a second or two of coherent footage. Dimitri has used a few decent fin mount clips in his vids though.

I do like the strut mount footage for showing nice locations and great water. Not sure if the GP's field of view is too wide for a strut mount shot? A few vids I've seen with the strut mount the rider looks like an ant.

Line mount stuff is fine as long as the finished video has been processed with a program that takes the shake out and corrects the view to always be horizontal. There is nothing worse than watching line mount vid that shakes around so much you're ready to puke after 90 seconds of viewing.

Blair Witch style shaky footage is weak sauce.............even in kiteboarding.

DuoiQueen
Rare Poster

Postby DuoiQueen » Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm

There`s a way to put a stick that i can replace time from the first place i choose to put the gopro??

because i have sticks that once i put them i never get get them down and move them to another place...

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu May 02, 2013 5:46 pm

SaarM wrote:There`s a way to put a stick that i can replace time from the first place i choose to put the gopro??

because i have sticks that once i put them i never get get them down and move them to another place...
Well, they are different mounts.

If you want to put one on the lines, you need a line mount. If you want to put it on a helmet, you need an adhesive (or other kind of helmet mount).

The adhesive mounts aren't that expensive, when you buy them they usually come in a pack of 3 or something. So you can put some in different places.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Board mount is a great spot. When mounting to the board place it dead center in between your fins and angle the camera slightly up about 5 degrees. You will get a great view at that angle.

Helmet is great as long as you keep your head relatively still. Too many kiters with head mounts are constantly moving their heads...looking up at their kite...behind them....etc....and it makes for bad video.

Strut mount is my favorite because I like to see the surrounding environment from 70 feet up.

I'm not a huge fan of line mount but that's just me. I have seen some good line mount videos where the camera was angled just right and a lot of the kiting environment was captured.

Chest mount flat out is the worst because you will video your hands on the bar the entire time.

Good luck.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Thu May 02, 2013 11:06 pm

As mentioned above try as many positions as poss...I did this on one recently!

Return to “Kitesurfing”