Rare Poster
Gear: Zian Aquila 10m, 12m, 14m
Crazyfly 127cm, 136cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Size of light wind board?

Postby dawind » Sat May 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Assuming you are talking about TT's. IMO its all about the width. Shorter wide board will plane off better then longer 'skiny' board, so in the light wind lulls you don't loose your plane for a few seconds, and that makes a big difference. I use a crazyfly 136x44 that works really well for me. Weight also an important factor, super-light weight means less sinking so less drag from water wrapping over board (its a hydrodynamic concept, added mass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Added_mass ) and also from increased skin friction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_frict ... n_friction

Generally the wood core boards are lighter (I think) then anything else for the same stiffness/thickness.

Surf boards generally need less wind because they have a larger planning area and much more buoyancy then a twintip, but in light wind I think this actualy works against you. The increased skin friction from the huge plan area and the thicknes of the rail adds to drag (a lot)... This does not matter heading downwind so much, but it makes tacking upwind difficult in very light wind IMO. I expect tons of posts telling me how wrong I am on this :lol: from hardcore surfers
Last edited by dawind on Sat May 04, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Sat May 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Just two words.... Spleene Door.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sat May 04, 2013 11:38 pm

OceanAdventures wrote:Just two words.... Spleene Door.
Just one word......Sector

Kober1974
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook NJ

Postby Kober1974 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 am

I am using Aboards Glider 164 .....
It let me ride so many extra days last year that I probably use it 30% of time on water .....
.... and as I post perviously I love d3o pads .....
For me at 200lbs Glider 164 is making huge difference when switching from my regular board 134... helping in those weaker winds get some riding with my 14m Gin Uru or 19m X19..
For guys ~150lbs I would recommend Glider 154

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 am

Obviously, this is really subjective, but I'd recommend just giving up on twin tips in light wind. I'm not a strapless-bad person, I love twin-tips, but I never had fun in light wind until I tried a surfboard. It probably isn't even a very good surfboard (directional kiteboard from about 2002 that I never used when it was new). I've tried a few different light wind-specific twin-tips, and found them boring. I don't doubt that a lot of this comes down to skill, and I won't claim that I have put the time into learning light-wind twin-tip kiting. What it boils down to (for me) is I can either have an unsatisfying session on a twin tip, or I can go out on a strapless surfboard, fall a bunch of times, be challenged the entire time, and thoroughly enjoy it. I think this would apply equally well to a skimboard or a raceboard or a hydrofoil. Basically, something that is novel. You simply aren't going to be very excited in light wind, but if you are doing something new and challenging, you'll have a great time regardless.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 06, 2013 10:47 am

tmcfarla wrote:Obviously, this is really subjective, but I'd recommend just giving up on twin tips in light wind. I'm not a strapless-bad person, I love twin-tips, but I never had fun in light wind until I tried a surfboard. It probably isn't even a very good surfboard (directional kiteboard from about 2002 that I never used when it was new). I've tried a few different light wind-specific twin-tips, and found them boring. I don't doubt that a lot of this comes down to skill, and I won't claim that I have put the time into learning light-wind twin-tip kiting. What it boils down to (for me) is I can either have an unsatisfying session on a twin tip, or I can go out on a strapless surfboard, fall a bunch of times, be challenged the entire time, and thoroughly enjoy it. I think this would apply equally well to a skimboard or a raceboard or a hydrofoil. Basically, something that is novel. You simply aren't going to be very excited in light wind, but if you are doing something new and challenging, you'll have a great time regardless.
Very true :thumb:

And apart from above, you CAN actually get excited in light wind, on raceboards (or hydrofoils or similar) because of the sheer speed and ability to jump in ridiculous low wind 8)

:D Peter

joe weiss
Medium Poster

Postby joe weiss » Mon May 06, 2013 1:46 pm

If you are looking for performance and fun then a directional is boring compared to a TT.
try and demo the Xenon Rayo 145/44. The low end is incredible compared to how it handles.

Michelks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sao Sebastiao- Brazil
Favorite Beaches: tahiti, buzios
Style: freerider
Gear: crossbow 16, vegas 14,switchblade 12, crossbow 10

Postby Michelks » Mon May 06, 2013 3:24 pm

I have 85 kg and 1,84m like you, my light wind boards are flydoor XL 170x 50, crazy fly 135x46 and north nugget.

As you can see in my quiver i have tried everything to retire my door but didn´t succed :lol:

The door gets boring after a while, but nothing can be compared to it in ultra light wind of 6/8 knots, maybe raceboards but it´s not my case.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Mon May 06, 2013 5:33 pm

The Aboards Glider 164 x 50 Here and 17m Zephyr...
Lots of Success for Beginners and always great for Lighter winds...
Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

Also comes in
147x45
154x48

But most get the 164 so the board is not to close to their other boards..
Many go for a 2 board combo....
Glider 164x50
Z Series 140x42

I find it Fun! for Tricks too. Nice "Flexi Tips" for smooth pop and landings and G10 fins and nice Footpads and Strap too...

In the Old Days kiters bascially only had Surfboards to learn on. Now we have these lightwind boards that you can just keep progressing!

Here I'm teaching a Beginner on his Glider 164 on his First day on the water....
Lots of Success with Students moving ahead way faster!

2013 now...

Randy going upwind on the Glider 164 on his second day on the water with his Ozone Edge. Pure Beginner.

Last edited by PBKiteboarding on Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gueroo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen/Cancun- Cabarete- Puerto Rico
Style: All kinds!
Gear: WH - Tona - Cabrinha - Mystic - WMFG
Brand Affiliation: Tona Life

Postby Gueroo » Tue May 07, 2013 2:56 am

Dont know if any one has mentioned it yet but
The EPIC Oxygen 135x47 does not get any better....
Trust me, you do not want a board that is much longer, its no fun...
I do not ride EPIC, but i have the Oxygen at a local school and it always without fail saves the day,
easy to ride and light weight to de freestyle.
just try it, wont be disappointed.

D

Return to “Kitesurfing”