Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: 2013 Ocean Rodeo Mako King pictures

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:32 am

IIRC the TT fins are 56mm

The small Mutant fins are the 51mm "shark's tooth" shape.

Then there's an 81mm fin. For my mutant 150, I have 56mm at the front, 51/80/51 and the back.

Although on the homepage, there are also 100mm fins IIRC . . . pretty sure it's written on the fins too.

heinzbush
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby heinzbush » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 am

Kamikuza wrote:IIRC the TT fins are 56mm

The small Mutant fins are the 51mm "shark's tooth" shape.

Then there's an 81mm fin. For my mutant 150, I have 56mm at the front, 51/80/51 and the back.

Although on the homepage, there are also 100mm fins IIRC . . . pretty sure it's written on the fins too.
Thanks for your answer! I do not have the 51 or 81 fins you mention. I assume they come with the 150 but not with the King.

The website of OR says (http://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/mako):
"King ships with 2x H1 56mm & 3x TT 100mm Fins"

As I said, the Mako I received contains 2*56mm, 3*100mm and 3*100mm (which are slightly larger than the other 100mm). So it seems I just got 3 incorrectly sized fins additionally by accident...

I am just curious about the "standard" way that OR intended the use of the fins that come with the board... but it seems this config should be it:
TT: 56mm center front and back
Mutant: 56mm center front and 100mm center back with 56mm left and right

...hard to imagine that this huge board will stay upwind in TT mode with only one smallish fin in the center front and back... can't wait to try it out :)

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby markchatwin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:19 pm

I have the '09 or '10 King (not sure which - it's the orange one) and have relegated it to TT mode. Having ridden it in Mutant mode, strapless mode with the deck pad, and TT mode I find it best in TT mode. Mutant mode didn't do me because I couldn't get the back straps far enough back over the fin so I could really slash it. So it kind of rode stiff to me plus with the back pressure I found I needed more kite power to avoid sinking.

Strapless mode was fun because having ridden surfboards I was used to something bigger under my feet. With my 5'11" strapless surfboard I find I ride on top of the water and the feel is quite floaty. On the King strapless it really carved well and gave me a "gripped" feeling. Gybing it was difficult but doable. This is simply because it is a small board (by surf standards) and sinks easier when you transition to toeside. But it was fun because it offered a new feeling - carving the waves...

This board seems to really "glue" to the water so it can be a pain to body drag to because it doesn't "blow" downwind well. No TT's blow downwind well but the King without straps is very flat to the water. Not a problem if you're in the Hatteras sound and you have as many tacks as you need to get to it. But in serious surf with strong onshore push you can be late to get it whereas a surfboard literally is blown downwind quickly.

In TT mode though it rides well upwind. You're centered, you lean back, the heel side edge kicks in with the center fins and upwind you go. It does light wind well being so big but it will not take take the place of a Door or big surfboard. It jumps OK and can land hard if you don't get the tail in 1st or get get some board speed on the redirect. But low height chop hop is fun and stable...

This is my Go To board for a gnarly new ocean that I've never seen. It busts through shore break, stays glued to your feet and has the length to keep you up. When I become comfortable with new surroundings I go back to my strapless surfboard...

Return to “Kitesurfing”