Forum for kitesurfers
backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best
Brand Affiliation: None

OBX or St Martin or what ever July- Aug

Postby backcountry » Tue May 07, 2013 3:29 pm

My deployment to Afghanistan got canceled-why we are still there is a discussion for another forum... I have some RCI points to burn up by the end of August. I searched previous posts on summer destinations and eliminated South Padre. Puerto Rico is an option, but most of the kiting appears to be around San Juan and RCI has nothing close. Have never been to OBX or St Martins but am looking for a place that is fairly user friendly for my wife. She has taken kiting lessons and could do it, however I think she just wants to find a place where she can practice windsurfing and not get into trouble-similar to the huts at Aruba.

Any insight would be appreciated.

BC

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: OBX or St Martin or what ever July- Aug

Postby mdksniper » Tue May 07, 2013 3:45 pm

backcountry wrote:My deployment to Afghanistan got canceled-why we are still there is a discussion for another forum... I have some RCI points to burn up by the end of August. I searched previous posts on summer destinations and eliminated South Padre. Puerto Rico is an option, but most of the kiting appears to be around San Juan and RCI has nothing close. Have never been to OBX or St Martins but am looking for a place that is fairly user friendly for my wife. She has taken kiting lessons and could do it, however I think she just wants to find a place where she can practice windsurfing and not get into trouble-similar to the huts at Aruba.

Any insight would be appreciated.

BC

Avon/Buxton, NC (OBX) would be a great place to travel. The Pamlico Sound is shallow for miles from shore and you can launch pretty much anywhere. It's pretty much the perfect kiting spot.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Tue May 07, 2013 3:54 pm

As stated, In July-Aug OBX is probably more user friendly then any place in the world(except for driving on route 12 during rental house turnover on Saturdays). It is warm air and water and the wind is usually SW which is side on in the sound. The sound is sandy and shallow for as far as you can go. Lots of different access, and not much to get in "trouble". The only thing is that August is kind of the end of the "summer" wind season and it can be hit or miss. You could get great wind everyday or no wind for a week. But there is also plenty of other stuff to do. There is usually some small surf this time of year (can get great if an early tropical storm goes off the coast), kayaking, fishing, just hanging on the beach. However, not as exotic as going to the Carribean.

backcountry
Medium Poster

Postby backcountry » Tue May 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks. I will check it out. I usually spend as much time as I can in the summer in Hood River-doesn't get much better than that... OBX has been on my radar, mostly because on my last 2 trips my golf bag was 2-3 days behind me. Spent more time trying to track my kites down than kiting.

SSK
Frequent Poster

Postby SSK » Tue May 07, 2013 4:22 pm

You will not get the consistency of Hood River, where you are pretty much guaranteed wind during that time. However, it will be way more user friendly. But be mentally prepared for anything. I have seen Augusts where there was good wind or waves almost everyday. I have seen Augusts where it was dead calm, flat, and oppressively hot for weeks. July tends to be more more predictable especially towards the early to middle part.

yowobx
Rare Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby yowobx » Tue May 07, 2013 4:25 pm

Will be in OBX in a few weeks for the first trip of the year, can't say enough good things about the place. OBX very user friendly, uncrowded beaches for miles, kite flat water on sound or waves on the ocean, all the amenities and services of home, great fishing if no wind, laid back (except for Food Lion on Saturdays, lol) and so on, and so on. If you're wife wants to learn/improve, there's no one better than Ty Luckett see http://www.kitehatteras.net/ and https://www.facebook.com/kite.hatteras.

backcountry
Medium Poster

Postby backcountry » Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for the comments. I think I will try to arrange a July trip. What size kites can I expect to use? 175lb and have 6,9,12,14. I use the 6 a lot in Hood in the summer...

SSK
Frequent Poster

Postby SSK » Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 pm

I am about the same weight, and during that time of year most of the time would probably be split between 9 and 12. It is hot and humid that time of year so the wind does not have as much punch as the West coast. The bad part is that the distribution of wind varies much greater as well. So in 4 days you could be on a 6, 9, 12, and 14. I would think the ride-able days for me would be split as:
6m: 05%
9m: 45%
12m: 40%
14m: 10%

So if you can only bring 2 kites it the 9 and 12. Then the 14 then the 6.

backcountry
Medium Poster

Postby backcountry » Tue May 07, 2013 7:48 pm

SSK, thanks. I am actually really excited. Never been to that neck of the woods-other than airborne and air assault at fort benning, but those were not really scenic vacations.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Tue May 07, 2013 8:32 pm

yowobx wrote:. OBX very user friendly, uncrowded beaches for miles, kite flat water on sound or waves on the ocean, all the amenities and services of home, great fishing if no wind, laid back (except for Food Lion on Saturdays, lol) .
:lol:

Yes!!!...............avoid the Lion at all costs on Saturday!

It's every man for himself.

Return to “Kitesurfing”