Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

End of summer trip to Europe, where to go?

Forum for kitesurfers
Loon
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake, Michigan
Favorite Beaches: Icarai/Isle do Guajaru/Cumbuco Brazil, Los Barriles BCS
Style: All of it.
Gear: Waiman 7, 9, 12 and Epic Screamer 14

Epic Spartan 129, F-One Trax 134, Waiman Blunt 137 W
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

End of summer trip to Europe, where to go?

Postby Loon » Sun May 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Hello kiters! Im planning a trip to Europe for a couple weeks to visit some family in Germany. I'll fly into Frankfurt and stay in Hamburg for a minute and am wondering where the best spots are in that area. Obviously I know about Splocs and where all the spots are in western Europe but I've been there and done that. Where to go in Eastern Europe? I've never been to Prague and that's a biggie on my hit list.

Any advice on the best, not just the biggest, spots is appreciated.

Thanks

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Re: End of summer trip to Europe, where to go?

Postby Dirk » Sun May 19, 2013 5:44 pm

If you are in Hamburg and have a car you have numerous spots in a driving range from 1,5 to 2 hrs. It depends on the wind direction and your preferences, e.g. St. Peter Ording, Fehmarn, Weissenhaus, Heiligenhafen.
You can also drive a bit more and go to Sylt or the Danish West coast. There are also many spots on the German coastline towards the East but they do not offer better conditions than the spots close to Hamburg.
On the tourist thing, do not miss out Berlin while you are in Germany. It is a quick 1,5h train ride from Hamburg. In my opinion it is the most exciting city in Germany, but no kiting there. And Hamburg itself is great, my hometown. You can rent a SUP and explore parts of the city via the canals.
Prague is also great but do not expect any kiting there.

Wind comes with frontal systems so it is not guaranteed. Bring a warm (5mm) wetsuit. If possible take all kite sizes you own. I have 5 to 17m and I use them all.

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Sun May 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Check us out here in Esposende, portugal.

www.kiteandgo.com

Flat and waves, all in one spot. Boat transport and rescue, center w hot showers, great company and great accommodation.

Fly straight Frankfurt-Porto, ryan air or normal. We pick u up on the airport and fix the rest.

Prague is probably very nice, have never been there, but i doubt you find anykitesurfing around...

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun May 19, 2013 6:43 pm

If you like to see piece of Eastern Europe while kiting fly to Gdansk in Poland. This is the best area for kiting on Baltic sea. Hel peninsula it's like mini Cape Hatteras there is also Rewa point close by. City of Gdansk is a cool place to see too. That's where WWII started and a birth place of Solidarity movement that brought down Communism. Before WWII Gdansk had a free city status just like Hamburg now. Cool city with lot's of history.

Loon
Medium Poster

Postby Loon » Mon May 20, 2013 4:09 am

Thanks for the advice guys! How is Ryan Air with the cost of kite luggage? I usually have my kite gear stashed in a "golf bag". I know Ryan Air is pretty cheap and have never been to Portugal. Budapest is on the list, not for kiting though. Probably be more in Northern Germany and Denmark. I'm trying to get to Scotland too to visit an old buddy, he's a skydiver but dont hold that against him; I'll make a jump or two with him. Too many places to go, so little time!

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Mon May 20, 2013 9:16 am

Do not fly Ryan air!!!!!!!!! They will rob you blind for any kind of extra, if you are traveling on your own with no luggage then use them as a last resort ,if you are desperate and they are the only airline that fly the route you need, but in all other circumstance avoid them..

Loon
Medium Poster

Postby Loon » Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 am

So ther than Ryan Air, is there another inexpensive airline that won't rob a kiter w/kite gear or am I better off taking the trains?

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 am

Loon wrote:Thanks for the advice guys! How is Ryan Air with the cost of kite luggage? I usually have my kite gear stashed in a "golf bag". I know Ryan Air is pretty cheap and have never been to Portugal. Budapest is on the list, not for kiting though. Probably be more in Northern Germany and Denmark. I'm trying to get to Scotland too to visit an old buddy, he's a skydiver but dont hold that against him; I'll make a jump or two with him. Too many places to go, so little time!
For kite equipment, better go with a proper carrier, like lufthansa. Ryan air will cost you like a normal carrier or more in the end, with all the extra fees.

We do have all equipment here, if you want to hop over cheaply and then rent.

Northern Denmark is supposed to be really nice. have never been there, but heard many nice things about it.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Mon May 20, 2013 11:06 am

Lufthansa, Airberlin, Germanwings charge 50€ one Way for kite gear (25-32kg).

West coast of Northern Denmark can have great waves, some of the best conditions around here. Apart from watersports there is not much else to do.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon May 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Whether you take ryanair or not depends on the actual total cost. There is no hard and fast rule. Ryanair charge EUR 50 for up to 20kg of sports equipment (e.g. board, two kites, bar wetsuit, harness) for each leg. But some of the big expensive airlines are at least as bad. You just have to look at the total cost to see if it is worth it or not.

Return to “Kitesurfing”